Texas Cruisers Caravan to HIH 8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...... Roll into Silverton with TX flags on our rigs :)
I was ok cruising in with you Texas folks until this suggestion.

I was ok cruising in with you Texas folks until this suggestion.
We Texas folk are a bit, odd. My college used to do a fundraiser, called Texas vs. The World to see who could raise the most money for non-profits. Texas always won. The funny part, the university was in not even in Texas :D . We have an unhealthy amount of state pride.

Worst case, we could all coordinate and meet in Durango and head up all together in a really sweet caravan. Roll into Silverton with TX flags on our rigs :)

Sounds like Either Santa Rosa or Moriarty can make all parties pretty happy. Then @aaronrules could also stay the night with us or we could meet him in ABQ.

What do you ATX and SA folks think?

Last edited:
We Texas folk are a bit, odd. My college used to do a fundraiser, called Texas vs. The World to see who could raise the most money for non-profits. Texas always won. The funny part, the university was in not even in Texas :D . We have an unhealthy amount of state pride.
We NM folk are a bit unfriendly to Texans because they clog up all our mountain resort towns (Ruidoso, Angel Fire, Red River, ....) with tourists, rich folk vacation homes and retirees. If you've ever visited Ruidoso, you'd think you were still in Texas based on the amount of TX license plates, TX flags flying outside house and giant metal stars hanging on the outside of their houses. I'm mostly messing with you though. I was born in Roswell, which might as well be Texas. And my mom's family all lives in TX.

Sounds like Either Santa Rosa or Moriarty can make all parties pretty happy. Then @aaronrules could also stay the night with us or we could meet him in ABQ.

What do you ATX and SA folks think?
I can do Moriarity. @marcfj60 any issues with thefts in Moriarity? I know not everywhere is perfect but down here if it is not bolted down it is stolen. I can't imagine it is too bad but some of these small towns have too much crime. Moriarity should be an easy drive the next day. If I am not in a caravan Wednesday I can make pretty good time anywhere. We run a pretty tight ship so if we end up in Santa Fe it is not the end of the world. I am sure it is a nice drive up there but after a long day of driving and with an early departure I am not sure I would get a chance to appreciate all that is there to see.

I can do Moriarity. @marcfj60 any issues with thefts in Moriarity? I know not everywhere is perfect but down here if it is not bolted down it is stolen. I can't imagine it is too bad but some of these small towns have too much crime. Moriarity should be an easy drive the next day. If I am not in a caravan Wednesday I can make pretty good time anywhere. We run a pretty tight ship so if we end up in Santa Fe it is not the end of the world. I am sure it is a nice drive up there but after a long day of driving and with an early departure I am not sure I would get a chance to appreciate all that is there to see.

Yeah sounds like we would need to backtrack from Santa FE anyways based on @marcfj60 advice. So Moriarty isn't actually going to be any longer on day 2, and if it is it will still be less driving overall, as all the distance to Santa Fe will all get erased when we backtrack.

As long as its a decent town to stay, seems like it will be a great option.

Stuff sprouts legs in just about every town in NM. But the smaller towns are usually less of a concern than the bigger ones. Moriarty is a small, country town about 30 miles away from ABQ. The thieves in ABQ are too lazy to drive way the heck out there when the pickens are easy in town. I would not be as concerned about my stuff in Moriarty but still be smart about where you park and what sort of stuff you leave visible through the windows. Don't leave purses, backpacks, DVD Players, Phones, Computers, etc. out in the open on your seats overnight or even when you go into a restaurant. They are looking for things that are quick and easy to turn into cash and will smash a $500 window to grab a $50 DVD player they can sell for $10 and get their next fix. A little common sense and situational awareness goes a long way.

And you're more likely to have stuff stolen in Santa Fe than in Moriarty.

And you're more likely to have stuff stolen in Santa Fe than in Moriarty.

So you wouldn't expect any differences between Moriarty and Santa Rosa in terms of crime?

So you wouldn't expect any differences between Moriarty and Santa Rosa in terms of crime?
I wouldn't expect one to be any worse than the other, and both better than Albuquerque.

Haven’t seen this route mentioned, but I’ll comment on it in case anyone reads here and is considering. I would recommend staying away from 285 (Fort Stockton to Carlsbad). The roads are in really bad shape and the traffic and driving behaviors are horrific, if not just dangerous. Routine accidents and road construction cause long delays and back ups for miles. I’m in that area for a couple days a month for work and it seems to get worse every trip.

Haven’t seen this route mentioned, but I’ll comment on it in case anyone reads here and is considering. I would recommend staying away from 285 (Fort Stockton to Carlsbad). The roads are in really bad shape and the traffic and driving behaviors are horrific, if not just dangerous. Routine accidents and road construction cause long delays and back ups for miles. I’m in that area for a couple days a month for work and it seems to get worse every trip.

Thanks for the tip!! I think they were planning on heading further north first thru big spring on 87. Good to know that area will be avoided.

I'll be headed up from Denton, TX. Considering I'll have 2 small kids with me I might leave a day early and meet you guys in NM.

Only reason is we have to make lots of stops to keep everyone happy. Anyone else that needs the same is happy to join us. We will be towing a trailer but will be staying in hotels until we reach higher elevation.

I'm all for flying flags! Anyone have a lead on a high quality version that will stand up to the wind? Maybe a Maritime version? :)

I'll be headed up from Denton, TX. Considering I'll have 2 small kids with me I might leave a day early and meet you guys in NM.

Only reason is we have to make lots of stops to keep everyone happy. Anyone else that needs the same is happy to join us. We will be towing a trailer but will be staying in hotels until we reach higher elevation.

I'm all for flying flags! Anyone have a lead on a high quality version that will stand up to the wind? Maybe a Maritime version? :)

Not a problem at all!

So just for the sake of conversation, lets just say the tentative plan will be:

July 11th:
Austin and SA folk (and anyone else) will meet in Junction, TX mid-morning of the 11th. Y'all will work your way up 87 thru Big Spring and into NM. I'll leave that all up to you guys.
I will be heading up 287 into Amarillo and taking I-40 the rest of the way. Aaron, we can discuss meeting potentially in Amarillo. Creasy Bear, we can always coordinate as well, but whatever works best for you is totally cool!
End goal will be to get to Moriarty to stay the night. I think we will just all need to meet there, as our routes are pretty different. We can even try to grab dinner if time allows.

July 12th (reg day):
I think a noble goal will be to arrive in Silverton at about 2:30pm. Map says 5 hrs, so I will allot 6.5hrs. Which means 8am departure...
We will go west on I40 into ABQ,Also will pick up @marcfj60 on the way if he so chooses, then we grab 25 north for just a bit, then its 550 all the way to silverton with an "oh crap" stop in Durnago.
Arrive in silverton around 2:30 or 3:00pm.

Just looking at this tentatively, it would be a real haul to go Roswell to Silverton in 1 day, and try to arrive for check-in. I think Moriarty will allow us to all roll together and take our time on the 12th without fear of being too late to registration. So long as everyone is happy with taking our time on day 2 for both the little ones and the camper pullers. Plus as others have said, it will be nice to roll into HIH in a big caravan!

I think that in order to get a good spot, arriving an hour to 30 minutes early is what you want to shoot for. Especially for anyone with a trailer...I DO NOT want to be next to that pond/lake...MOSQUITOES!!!

I think it looks all good. I think having one final meetup somewhere like Durango to top off the tanks, grab last minute things, etc., would be a good idea. That way, those with kids, or car troubles (pray not), can say, "as long as I am in Durango at 12pm on Thursday, I'm all good. One last "round-up" so we can all roll up together.

I think it looks all good. I think having one final meetup somewhere like Durango to top off the tanks, grab last minute things, etc., would be a good idea. That way, those with kids, or car troubles (pray not), can say, "as long as I am in Durango at 12pm on Thursday, I'm all good. One last "round-up" so we can all roll up together.

Yeah for sure! If we leave early enough on Thursday we would also have no issue taking our time for those who need to stop, or will be a tad slower with the trailers. But if anyone decides to peel off the back we can meet up again in Durango.

Looks like a decent selection of hotels in Moriarty as well. I will definitely utilize a hotel for that night. I will get plenty of of camping time in during HIH hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom