Shop/Garage lighting (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As an alternative to LED T4s or T8s I have two of the Big Ass Lights' "Garage Light" in my 22x30' garage. 13,000 lumen provides enough light for me with two total lights. I really like them.

LED Shop and Garage Light from Big Ass Light

As an alternative to LED T4s or T8s I have two of the Big Ass Lights' "Garage Light" in my 22x30' garage. 13,000 lumen provides enough light for me with two total lights. I really like them.

I've met with them. Their lights are nice, but the insane markup isn't. Did you pay retail or have a discount? Glad they worked for you, most of us can't/won't pay that kind of money for lighting.

~$400 a light retail. For me it was easier to buy two of these and install them than 6 or 10 T4 or T8 fixtures with LED strips. When you consider the lighting for a whole shop space, the reduced number of fixtures means not a large difference in overall cost, especially when you account for the extra romex, fasteners, boxes and labor if you hire an electrician.

Not for everyone, but it's worth a hard look.

Any supporting evidence for their "insane markup"? It's not cheap, but I don't see many competing products. A LED bulb for a fluorescent fixture isn't a competing product imho.

4" Costco led "fluorescent" lights.

very efficient
instant on
cool running
lasts forever

So if I want to replace old florescent 8’ strips with LEDs can I replace with 1 4’ in each spot?

F9212990-3797-4672-9F68-F9A61D404559.jpeg

So these may not be the best choice for some of those larger high-ceiling shops, but these 4' LED shop/task lights are working really well for me in my three car garage. My ceilings are 9'. They are flexible enough so you can add up to six lights on one string and put them in nearly any orientation. If you need you can unsnap them from their mount rearrange them as needed. A six pack of the from Amazon run about $55. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUAX40D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's actually brighter in the garage than the pictures show.
20180222_215354.jpg
20180222_215434.jpg

We bought this place a few months back and are still trying to get settled, so my shop is STILL FULL OF CRAP, and we are storing a lot of my in-laws crap until they get a better place to put all their s***. Ughhhh.

That said the 6 150w Flood bulbs in the 14 foot ceiling was not cutting it at all , so I swapped bulb holders for outlets and got 6 Cheap China 200w High bay LED UFO lights off of ebay for 85 bucks a pop....... So for around 500 buck I can at least see in here now. Will likely add a couple more 150w units in a couple key areas once all the crap has new home and I can figure out how I want to lay the shop out. For reference its a 36x40 space with a 14 foot lid.

6 of these things, make it very livable in there lighting wise for most general use
100W 200W 300W LED High Bay Light Warehouse Fixtures Industry Office Lamp NEW | eBay

obligatory crappy cell phone shot of Toyotas hiding from the -10*f cold for the night
2018-02-24_07-03-34 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

I recently install the new lights for my garage. I use total 300 watt led lights across the entire indoor garage. after few months, it works very well. super bright and durable. I sometimes split the gear oil onto the lamp surface, and i can directly apply water and detergent to clean it.

img_6599w-jpg.1307329

Garage Lights – LED Garage Ceiling Lights – LedsMaster

I actually replace the garage led lights from metal halide bulbs. the instant advantage is that they can achieve maximum brightness with a second, without any warm up time.

I love your garage very much. I am looking for new garage lighting fixture as well. I will take this as my reference. Thanks.

@tahoe40/45 , this is the thread I was telling you about. Lots of good info here.

Thanks Mark, I dropped the tranny off at my shop last night and was thinking about your lights as my 20 year old florescent were trying to work.

~$400 a light retail. For me it was easier to buy two of these and install them than 6 or 10 T4 or T8 fixtures with LED strips. When you consider the lighting for a whole shop space, the reduced number of fixtures means not a large difference in overall cost, especially when you account for the extra romex, fasteners, boxes and labor if you hire an electrician.

Any supporting evidence for their "insane markup"? It's not cheap, but I don't see many competing products. A LED bulb for a fluorescent fixture isn't a competing product imho.

A few things:
1. 100% agree on tube LED lamp replacements. They may work for some people, I don't drink that brand.
2. A small number of high intensity light sources isn't always the best (even more so when considering the low ceiling heights 9-11' that most of us have in the home garage). That can create poor uniformity and shadowing when moving items around or working anywhere but directly between the lights. Imagine standing at a work bench with your back to both those lights, you'd better have good task lighting.
3. Proof of the markup: see the link I sent Mark. 11,400 lumens for $100. The BA light you linked is 13,000 lumens for $400. Here's a top tier Acuity IBG, 15,000 lumens for $221. The truth behind these numbers is they're all starting points for buying from the easiest source. I can buy that same IBG for less than $180 from the right store. Anyway, the BA products are ok, nothing to write home about and overpriced. I'm sorry, there's just no way a fan company can do it better than the top tier lighting manufacturers.

So, what's the best, if you want to light light your professional shop (and have $250-300/fixture to spend)? these...
Essentials | Flex Lighting Solutions
Albeo™ LED Luminaire – ABV3 | Current by GE

X2 on the Big Ass lights, these things are the best built lights I've ever seen. Although they are terribly expensive, I only have mine because my wife sells them. Pictures are before and After, I have two, one on each side of the garage, its all you'd ever need.
IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG

It's incredible how quickly the lighting world is changing. My previous job was as a project manager working with cities to convert their entire streetlighting infrastructure to LED, so I utilized a deal on some streetlights to light my last shop. A little "shadowy" up high, but great efficiency (100 lumens/watt) for the time (2014).

Fast forward a few years, something like this is how I would light my next shop.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUAX40D/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Simple, super cheap, efficient (110 lumens/watt), and options for color temperature. You could get 100,000 lumens for under $400 and only be drawing just over 900 watts. Total win!

20141107_153609000_iOS.jpg

20141111_033614339_iOS.jpg

20141111_034614933_iOS.jpg

It's incredible how quickly the lighting world is changing. My previous job was as a project manager working with cities to convert their entire streetlighting infrastructure to LED, so I utilized a deal on some streetlights to light my last shop. A little "shadowy" up high, but great efficiency (100 lumens/watt) for the time (2014).

Fast forward a few years, something like this is how I would light my next shop.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUAX40D/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Simple, super cheap, efficient (110 lumens/watt), and options for color temperature. You could get 100,000 lumens for under $400 and only be drawing just over 900 watts. Total win!

View attachment 1675989

View attachment 1675990

View attachment 1675991
That street light setup is awesome! Totally unique and it works. I dig it.

Re: efficacies, I'm seeing highbays hit the 160+ lpw range now. Crazy how fast they got there. Most manufactures say the theoretical limit of the technology should be 300 lpw max. Just no clue how long that will take.

A friend of mine in Tulsa has a small shop he restores minis in.
He purchased some budget minded led shop lights and declared they were plenty bright for his needs.
Since he is a dear friend of mine, I sent him, as a gift, a Big Ass Solutions or also known as Big Ass Fans LED 15kw shop light.
He said it makes his budget lights look dim.
I have 3 in my garage, spendy? Yes. I am at the point in my life where I prefer quality over quantity.

A friend of mine in Tulsa has a small shop he restores minis in.
He purchased some budget minded led shop lights and declared they were plenty bright for his needs.
Since he is a dear friend of mine, I sent him, as a gift, a Big Ass Solutions or also known as Big Ass Fans LED 15kw shop light.
He said it makes his budget lights look dim.
I have 3 in my garage, spendy? Yes. I am at the point in my life where I prefer quality over quantity.
*You’re at a point in your life where you prefer marketing over quantity.

There are plenty other options, higher quality, more spec choices and lower price

Last edited:
There are plenty other options, higher quality, more spec choices and lower price

Want to give some examples? Last guy I asked to provide examples showing Big Ass Lights have "insane markup" went silent.

I'm open to different types of lights, especially considering big ass lights just changed their "garage light" model, but I haven't seen a competitor to them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom