GX470 Primer for the Ideal Mild-Build for Under $3000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You just got your GX470 and want to do a mild build to improve looks and off-road capability. You want to stand out over the mall cruisers and soccer moms, but want to keep costs under control. This primer doesn't consider any other repairs or basic maintenance your GX470 needs.

First, lets take a look at the wheels, tires, and rocks sliders to start your ideal mild-build and keep costs down. The brands specified here are just examples of what you can get for those estimated prices as of 4/2018. You can always use your favorite brands and remember that prices continue to change over time.

So far, you have only spent about $1650 (or less if you got cheaper tires and skipped the rock sliders), but you have no lift and you really want a lift.

Unfortunately, the suspension is the most difficult component to replace and satisfy your personal needs (like the weight you carry, the desired height of the lift, the softness or stiffness of the ride, the price, the brand, etc.).

Some key factors in the suspension components include the diameter of the shocks (2.0" vs 2.5"), the desired lift (say 2.0", 2.5", or 3.0"), the length of the shocks (standard or long/extended), and the spring rate (linear, variable/progressive, heavy load, etc).

Keep in mind that most low-cost options use the 2.0" diameter shocks which are considered not as good as the 2.5" diameter shocks. The difference is that the 2.5" diameter shocks have more fluid to prevent shock fade in serious washboard roads or long desert runs. They also have beefier lower legs (shafts) that make the shocks more sturdy.

Also, rear variable rate springs are considered better than single rate springs because they provide a better ride when lightly loaded and when fully loaded. Most people have reported great results with variable rate rear springs over single rate springs.

Here are some low-cost suspension options to consider. Again, the brands used in this table are to show options in these estimated price ranges. You can always use your favorite brands. Assuming no extra weight in the front or rear (no bumpers, winches, tire carriers, RTT, etc.). Consult with your favorite vendor to confirm the lift heights, part numbers, prices, etc.

If anyone else wants to contribute alternate suspensions, please use this format and include brand, part numbers, estimated prices, pros, cons, and notes. Corrections and improvements are welcome.

Additional suspensions...

Attachments

• GX470 Primer for Your Ideal Mild Build Under $3000.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Great info! Thanks for taking the time to do that. The factory wheels are +20 offset though, I believe. -25 would be a very deep dish wheel.

Arghh, yeah the factory wheels are +25 offset. Not negative 25.

Good idea on the Wiki. I'll do that soon. Let me just get some feedback here to correct the mistakes.

2020-06-16 Adding a new kid on the block for inexpensive basic suspension at $810 on this date but out of stock. Also, missing Toyota isolators which cost about $160 for a new pair, so total $970 in parts plus tax, shipping, and installation. Lift Kits, Lowering Springs, Race Springs, Shocks & Sway Bars

1592406115728.jpeg

Last edited:
Great info, thanks for putting it up here!

Visual aids for the low-cost suspensions.

Ironman_Basic_Lift_Kit.jpg

TTUE_FJC_PTR1335140.jpg

Suspension_OME_Basic copy.jpg

Suspension_Dobinson_Basic copy.jpg

Suspension_Bilstein_6112_5160 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Metaltech is having Foam Cell Pros kit on sale for $1044 with free shipping from 4/14 till 4/17. Too bad the individual kit are not on sale. I would like to get progressive spring in the rear.

I am nowhere set on my build goal and suspension and changing suspension many times does not really interest me a this point. I might still pay the price for high dollar adjustable suspension that would last me the whole build steps. The adjustable compression and rebound would be needed to meet this goal.

@HomersCanyonero thanks for doing this. I have this exact mind for my build.

@Jstawgn That's a nice 20% sale price on the Ironman FCP complete kit.

You are an advanced suspension person if you know how to adjust the rebound on the shocks. I don't know how to do this, but I am aware that this is something that can be done on the more expensive shocks.

Just a clarification for others. If you get adjustable height front coilovers, you can adjust the height manually -- some easier than others with a spanner tool. If the front shocks can be tuned, then you can also manually adjust the valving/rebound to make them firmer or softer.

On the rear, nobody sells springs that are height adjustable. The progressive or variability is on the spring rate and you cannot change that. If the rear shocks can be tuned, then you can also manually adjust the valving/rebound.

Since I don't know how to adjust the valving on shocks, I'm going to assume that this is something that requires tools and expertise.

Some key factors in the suspension components include the diameter of the shocks (2.0" vs 2.5"), the desired lift (say 2.0", 2.5", or 3.0"), the length of the shocks (standard or extended), and the spring rate.

Keep in mind that most low-cost options use the 2.0" diameter shocks which are considered not as good as the 2.5" diameter shocks. The difference is that the 2.5" diameter shocks have more fluid to prevent shock fade in serious washboard roads or long desert runs. They also have beefier lower legs (shafts) that make the shocks more sturdy.

Very nice write up.
Something else for people to consider is the weight of a GX or their GX after mods. Radflo recommends the 2.0 shock for 5000lbs or less and the 2.5 for 5000-7500lbs Shock Selection Guide

Awesome post!

Nice post, but there goes my tax return or do I invest in global index fund?

If you want to gamble/invest your tax return, try the 3x ETFs on the S&P500. One is UPRO and the other is SPXL. You can win big or lose big!

@HomersCanyonero if it's still available you can get option 1 (bilstien 6112,5150, plus TRD front springs) for less than $700. Like I said, if its still available. However, the 6112's with that kit are only adjustable about 1/2'' either side to compensate for lean. No idea how much total lift it will give or if you even need to stagger the spring heights from DS to PS. I do however have one sitting in my garage that will hopefully be going on in the next few days.

@half k cruiser I already have the adjustable 6112s installed on my gx470 in the front with 600 lbs/in Eibach springs.

@pillguy some Toyota dealers are getting rid of their bilstein 6112 front 2.5” shocks non-adjustable with TRD springs and rear bilstein 5160 resi 2.0” shocks (no rear springs) for $700. Apparently Toyota is moving to Fox shocks for their TRD suspensions and putting the bilsteins on clearance

Here's a 2.5" diameter shock compared to a 2.0" diameter shock from Bilstein
6112vs5100_BodyThickness.jpg

6112vs5100_ShaftThickness.jpg

Here are the two shocks compared side by side
6112vs5100_02.jpg

Last edited:
@pillguy some Toyota dealers are getting rid of their bilstein 6112 front 2.5” shocks non-adjustable with TRD springs and rear bilstein 5160 resi 2.0” shocks (no rear springs) for $700. Apparently Toyota is moving to Fox shocks for their TRD suspensions and putting the bilsteins on clearance[/QUOTE]

Is there a part # for that kit? Know which dealers have that stuff on clearance? Thanks!

@Docwyte The first I heard about this clearance sale on this Bilstein/TRD spring kit was from @joabmc in this thread Coil over inquiries... toytek's specifically (for starters, but plz expand)

He posted a link to this kit, but it's no longer available at that site. I don't have any other info on dealers or vendors who have this kit on clearance: SUSPENSION KIT; Part Number: PTR1335140; TRD: TRD; Link: PTR1335140 - Suspension Kit. TRD, PSuspension, Chassis - Genuine Toyota Accessory

And @half k cruiser did more research and found this information on this kit:
"For those asking about the TTUE suspension that is currently on closeout, here's what I've managed to come up with.

1) These coils are designed to lift an FJ 1'' in the front to level it out
2) They are Eibach springs with 600lbs rate
3) The 6112 in this kit is only minimally adjustable to account for DS vs PS lean

So its hard to say what if any lift you get on a GX with these. If someone has the factory numbers for the GX front coils (free height, spring rate, wire diameter) we could compare them. Also, would an FJ rear coil, coupled with this kit, make for a level truck ? Hard to say as I don't believe any GX owners are running it yet."

5d274df8-fd9f-4362-a58e-93a4f101c6af-jpeg.1646593

Last edited:
Looks like the Trail Teams suspension is not available from many vendors, based on a google search on the part number. You may have some luck calling up your local dealers, though. Still on ebay for much less than you mentioned.

I can add to cart on this site- but don't know how much I trust it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom