Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This Mama's maiden voyage is in the books! :clap:
20180323_165105.jpg
We are ready to overland! Whoot whoot. Thanks @wtmtnterror for making the trek to get it.:cheers:

Ok, so I finally got to a really good place with my front disc brake rebuild. Got everything put. Ack together and got the front tires on!!!
Last week I tried to put the tires on but found out that the used wheel studs that I got ahold of were mushroomed and the lugnuts would not go on, that was a fun day.
New almost everything... and it is all put back together.
20180330_145753.jpg

what trailer are you towing and where is that great campsite?
Its a Ruger Trailer. Love it.

I was in the Las Cienegas National Conservatory area near Sonoita. Beautiful area. Tons of BLM and State Trust land

Working on a few parts for @brices123 1986 FJ 60. The AC idler bearing was seized and the part is no longer available as a whole assembly.

Ordered a Nachi bearing, swapped it out with the NSK, both are Japan made so it should last a long while.

A few shots of clean up and parts:
IMG_3151.JPG

Before I pulled it apart
IMG_3149.JPG

Bearing part number, only $9.00

IMG_3183.JPG

Back together and spins freely. Goes back to Tom this week.

IMG_3185.JPG

Working on a few parts for @brices123 1986 FJ 60. The AC idler bearing was seized and the part is no longer available as a whole assembly.

Ordered a Nachi bearing, swapped it out with the NSK, both are Japan made so it should last a long while. Bearing part number, only $9.00. Back together and spins freely. Goes back to Tom this week.

View attachment 1667666
I have found this as well, replacing with a high quality bearing is better than a cheap aftermarket assy (if available).

New floor OEM Lexus floor mats, new top middle trim piece and new inside door handle on the rear door for the GX

And a trip to FourTillFour on Saturday morning.

Wrapped up 2nd battery install. Then found out that my old battery was dead....:bang:
Debating on battery size and type now. Did a lot of "customizing" to get a group 27 in there.
Another 200 owner put a group 31 on the drivers side, and moved the 27 to the passenger. May go that route.
20180328_181458.jpg

Starting to rebuild the e-brake, realized that the PO removed the guts completely. Anyone have a feeling for why an automatic transmission setup would not need an ebrake...?
20180407_114652.jpg

20180407_114635.jpg

Finally wrapped up all dash wiring related to my switch panel, now I need to rework the back based on some adjustments up front. At least I can finally get some lights installed!

So along with all of the other fun things that I am doing to Rusty recently..., I am trying my best at finding out how best to find a shorting wire which is slowly draining the battery.
I have setup a voltmeter on the negative side of the battery in series to identify which of the circuits / fuses is the culprit. Finally pulled open the 4th fuse from the bottom (as pictured) and the voltmeter goes to zero..., voila.
But now i am stuck. How the heck should I go about tracing out where it goes and how many things it might be connected with...
Thoughts?
20180409_104228.jpg

So along with all of the other fun things that I am doing to Rusty recently..., I am trying my best at finding out how best to find a shorting wire which is slowly draining the battery.
I have setup a voltmeter on the negative side of the battery in series to identify which of the circuits / fuses is the culprit. Finally pulled open the 4th fuse from the bottom (as pictured) and the voltmeter goes to zero..., voila.
But now i am stuck. How the heck should I go about tracing out where it goes and how many things it might be connected with...
Thoughts?
View attachment 1673564

Start here:
Fj40 Wiring Codes

and here:
Schematics

Coolerman used to be able to supply you with a new wiring harness.

I ditched my PITA fuse block a long time ago and 80% of my electrical problems went away with it.

Here are before and after pics:
What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week?

Start here:
Fj40 Wiring Codes

and here:
Schematics

Coolerman used to be able to supply you with a new wiring harness.

I ditched my PITA fuse block a long time ago and 80% of my electrical problems went away with it.

Here are before and after pics:
What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week?
Stepmurr,
Thanks for the info and links. That wire color coding bit should get me going down the right road.
Your plug type fuse blocks look much better than what I am looking at...

Cheers-
Ralphie and Rusty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom