LC100 = what kind of motorcycle? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I was going to buy an 03 to replace my 99, but it sold before I could buy it.

Now I'm just thinking about buying a motorcycle instead.

For those of you who have them, what is your idea of a motorcycle equivalent of a LC100 (mainly in terms of a combination of style/reliability)?

For example:
- I'm sure a Pontiac G6 is a great car to some, but not to me. I don't want to buy the Pontiac G6 of motorcycles. This doesn't have to be expensive (actually just looking to spend a couple/few thousand, so probably old, just like my cruiser).
- I love the Range Rover P38, but I owned one and I spent too much on it. Thing sucked money. I don't want the P38 of motorcycles, either.
- I'm sure the Camry is reliable as can be, and I want that in a motorcycle, but I don't want the Camry of motorcycles. I want the 100-series of motorcycles. Reasonably priced, reliable as hell, and still cool and classy even when old and cheap.

Please help me navigate my mid-life crisis.

Can’t go wrong with a ‘90s Or early ‘00 Honda

BMW R100GS

IMG_8447.JPG

Definitely a BMW GS. I think the R100GS is more more like the 80, despite the model names lining up nicely. Like the 80, it is last of the "simple" ones. I think the 100 is more like the R1150GS. The LC 100 and the R1150GS are both big, heavy, rugged, can carry a ton, comfortable, reliable, iconic, famous around the world, will take you anywhere, does surprisingly well off-road in the right hands, and eats up miles on the pavement.
BMW R1150GS ADV.jpg

Well said Mr Trees.

(actually just looking to spend a couple/few thousand, so probably old, just like my cruiser).

While the GS may be a good comparison to the Hundy, I don't think the specimen you could buy for $2500 will match the LC reliability.

What kind of bike do you want and how will you use it? On-off road, cruiser, standard, sport bike, sport tourer, etc? Loads of choices out there, but if you want reliability and low cost of ownership at your price point stick with Japanese.

Last edited:
Can carry a lot of stuff, drive across the country in comfort, reliable, other people in the hobby underestimate your vehicle?

Goldwing.

The R1200GS is the most popular and iconic ADV bike out there, but I don't think it lines up with the 100. It would have to be something less flashy and more reliable (ie Japanese). The Super Tenere is definitely up there. If you want something just a tad smaller with more off-road chops, I'd say the Africa Twin. If you want something with a bit more on-road sportiness, maybe the V Strom 1000XT.

Well I just wanted to update you gents.

Instead of a motorcycle, I bought a 94 Range Rover Classic LWB.

Swore I would never have another after I had a 97 P38 Range Rover but honestly I have always loved the looks of the classic.

Truck works fine but I have no idea what I’ve gotten myself into. I have a little bit of buyers remorse, which I never have with Land Cruisers. I will probably drive it for a bit and see how I like it, and if it becomes a pain in my butt who knows it will be an expensive lesson and set it on fire. My dream would be a RR body with Toyota everything else. I guess I need to start learning more about how to fix my cars now!

ED277E51-701F-4C46-AE94-9D44ED43F569.jpeg

Haha! Went to the grocery store for eggs, returned with pork rinds and an STD! Kidding aside, hope it works out and isn't too expensive.

Old thread revival

This doesn't have to be expensive (actually just looking to spend a couple/few thousand, so probably old, just like my cruiser).

The perfect bike would be a Kawasaki KLR650. Just read the web blogs or watch the reviews on youtube. They are well kitted out straight out of the factory or there is tons of aftermarket upgrades if you need them.
They are cheap,plentiful and the engines last well over a 150000klms

I had a XR650L, I think they are great for weekend blasts, but I wouldnt want to do long distance road trips on it. The Kawasaki comes with a lot of extras the honda doesnt get, like fairing, crash bars and its a lot smoother on road. With the honda you can feel every thump from the engine.

Have a BMW F650gs Dakar that we're going to get fixed so I can start riding. Dad has a R1250GS

Reliable and simple single would be the DR650. No liquid cooling, super basic, goes forever, less mechanical failures than the KLR. Yes it does not have all the extras as the KLR but they are easily added.

But I am a die hard Suzuki guy so I am biased

IMG_2351.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom