Builds CO_Hunter’s GX470 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
80 vs GX - I bought the GX to replace my 80 after a lot of research. Measuring the inside the main dimensions are almost identical to one another, drivers seat to rear door seal, between wheel wells, and floor to roof height. Width above wheel wells was only a few inches different, but you do loose a bunch of width at the roof line, but that was not a big deal for me.

A937D528-06E2-4C44-9E4B-D34C1EFBBC71.jpeg

It’s not all scratched up, just bad sun angle and reflections.

Vehicle background

Bought this clean 2006 with 115k a couple of weeks ago, clean CARFAX, two owner but the first didn’t have it long. Got the Lexus service history online that showed a lot more than CARFAX did. Lived its life in Dallas and looks garage kept, regular maintenance, no active recalls. The steering rack was replaced, timing belt replaced, new brakes, and the independent dealer replaced the right wheel bearing. There was a buyer that paid a local Toyota/Lexus specialty place to have a pre-sale inspection done and they identified the wheel bearing along with other things such as seeping shocks, recommended replacement of tranny, diff, and p/s fluids and a few other things. Well apparently that scared away the buyer and I was able to talk to the shop about everything so it worked out well for me. I am going to replace all that stuff anyway.

Started to baseline and did trans flush with Valvoline extend life synthetic, new plugs, coolant looks new, I think the radiator might be aftermarket. Still need to do, p/s, t-case and diff fluids. Oil was changed at the Lexus dealer when the previous owner traded it in.

Suspension:

Air bag delete, OME nitro charger 2.5” lift, SPC UCAs - post 2

Gearing, Rear axle, locker

2014 FJ housing re geared to 4.56 with Nitro gear set - post 63,67,and 70
ARB rear locker

Bumpers

ARB front bumper - post 6
Coastal Offroad rear bumper kit on the way

Sliders
Hefty Fab kit posts -18, 20, and 21

Roof rack
Home made with Gamiviti mounts - post 17
ARB awning wtih custom mounts - post 53 and 58

Winch
Warn M8000- changing to synthetic line

Tires/wheels/chains

BFG KO2 285/70-17 started on stock wheels and switched to late model 4runner. I am a long time Cooper guy, but decided to try something different.

Rud chains front, 18 wheeler cam lock chains for rear (cut to size) - post 71

Electrical/electronic
12v port on back of center console and right side of rear cargo area
Kenwood TM D710 - post 42-45
LED 30" light bar on roof rack - post 60
VSC/ATRAC/nanny off switch - post 45

Interior
Metal attic rack, with custom bolt in mounting brackets - post 41
Weather tech floor mats
Paracord rear door handle - post 50

Build Start

Fortunate to live not to far from @sleeoffroad, can’t say enough good things about Armory and Ben over there. IFS is new to me, coming from the 80 world.

5DE36040-354A-4ECE-9FFA-21A9ED3F17FA.jpeg

53B0C39B-9CB2-4DB2-AFDD-62F56B3E3628.jpeg

Warn m8000, got it on pretty good sale from 4WP, same for bumper
F667F0EF-DCA2-474D-B40B-B87EA969EE1A.jpeg

Last edited:
8ACFF1BC-F31D-4C71-B5BA-8B37DDA72254.jpeg

D563E3B4-EA10-4311-851C-3EF6FAD5FBF1.jpeg

94705EC9-6F36-4737-9E05-F1332849EF7F.jpeg

F70AC8BD-8FCF-4B5C-81E1-C8677D3E1C8B.jpeg

I have never messed with coil overs and don’t have a compressor. I was a little reluctant to try the in place compression install but it was really pretty easy and safe, in my opinion.

Last edited:
You are building it up fast and furious!

Like the ARB. Looks like it really improved the approach angles from your pics. Do you notice an improvement in that area?

You are building it up fast and furious!

That’s the plan. I need to get this trail ready! Wife is on board with the build and pace!

Like the ARB. Looks like it really improved the approach angles from your pics. Do you notice an improvement in that area?

Didn’t wheel it. Just bought and started wrenching on it. Based on what I did with my 80 I have a pretty good idea of what I wanted out of it. Just by eyeball, the approach angle will be better than stock. I am curious how the approach angle will compare with my 80 though. May have to check that out on a close by trail in the next month or so. Plus see if I can climb it with only ATRAC.

Pics of the bumper install??

I didn’t get any pics of the install. Let me know what specifics you are looking for and I can try and grab a pic or describe while my memory is still fresh. Here are a few pics of things that might be of interest.

In order to keep the trimmed flare snug I cut and bent a bracket I had removed. I drilled through it into the fender and bolted it into the engine bay near the battery. I did something similar on passenger side with a piece of plastic that remained near the headlight. All molding is nice and tight.

ACD07DC5-3666-456D-82C3-F0A1FF0DDC88.jpeg

In addition to being a bull bar what I really like about it is the extra reinforcement that goes down the frame rail. From pics I have seen not all manufacturers have that.

6F36C6D5-6B90-4005-B624-687D527A3832.jpeg

This is a top view looking down onto the bumper with the hood closed. At first it hit the bumper. I placed the hood on the bumper and traced the curved line and then cut the bumper with an angle grinder. If you notice the curved shape, it use to be straight. I also had to bend the lip of the hood back a bit so it wouldn’t hit the top bar opening and closing. Used some channel lock pliers with several layers of duct tap and and just worked my way along the lip little by little until it didn’t hit. It was really close and it did not take too much movement.
The black is paint I used on the cut surface.

6302F7AD-461E-4516-BACC-C5343B98D788.jpeg

The front diff drain plug was a real pain to get out. Breaker bar, PB, hammer. I think what finally got it was the torch. When I went back to the breaker bar it broke loose with a pretty loud ping.

When I refilled the rear diff, it only took 3 qts where the manual calls for 3.3. Anyone else have that discrepancy?

Thanks for all of the info. I’m looking at bumpers right now and wanting to maximize angles in front and rear. Had an ARB on my FJC but approach and departure were already better on it.

The front diff drain plug was a real pain to get out. Breaker bar, PB, hammer. I think what finally got it was the torch. When I went back to the breaker bar it broke loose with a pretty loud ping.

When I refilled the rear diff, it only took 3 qts where the manual calls for 3.3. Anyone else have that discrepancy?
typical once you lift. Changes the angle of the pinion so it isn't as flat so you lose some capacity.

Fluids really needed a change. P/S was some sort of clearish dirty yellow fluid, definitely not Merc ATF. I suspect who ever did the rack replacement (not Lexus) didn't pay attention to fluid spec.

Got the HeftyFab sliders on order. Got them in kit form as well :cool:

Been doing a lot of roof rack research. I narrowed it down to Gamivitti or maybe build my own. If I do my own thinking about aluminum. I have very limited experience and that was with a 110 welder and no spool gun. Since then I have obtained a 220v. Would need a spool gun and gas but trying to think of those as an investment.

This is what got me thinking about the aluminum rack.
The magnificent roofrack build thread

Last edited:
Finally got it out on some trails. Driving up the canyon got a little sketchy when the traction control kicked in going around some dry curves at highway speed, kind of freaked me out a bit. Happened twice but the second wasn’t quite as bad so I then slowed down on the curves and it did not happen again. The abs or something kicked in turning off the haighway onto to the Forest Service road, it was quick so I didn’t get a chance to see any lights or feel anything. Downhill cambered turn if that makes sense. I didn’t do the ZPC after the lift and I suspect that may be the culprit.

Other than that I really like the feel of the GX. Got a chance to try out the ATRAC. I have seen others in action but it was kind of a cool experience. Glad I was prepared for all the noise...haha

Below are a couple of pics. Unfortunately I picked up that staple on the new tire. Seems to still be holding air for now but may take it down to the tire shop once I remove it to have them tank test the tire. Tires still have the tread nubbies...

Got the tube to build the roof rack. I decided to go with steel after all as the weight difference was not significant and I could not let the additional cash out right now for new cylinder and spool gun.

Hope my sliders will be ready soon.

C710EA0D-2C18-4D13-A4A5-1DF20913352C.jpeg

089B9BF0-3314-4A8A-BA72-BE70256C44E5.jpeg

A5CE754B-2180-4A17-AB39-F114FE04302C.jpeg

Did you bug Slee about why they don't make bumpers for our rigs? They're all of 30 minutes from me, would be awesome if they expanded their line of products to include stuff for us...

whoa, that is quite a staple! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on the rack..

also what are the details on the Mustang? :cool:

The rack is going to be a simple flat rack. I am going 50” wide, a bit wider than yours as I think it will look a bit better with my Airtop RTT since it is 56” wide. A guy in our club recently built a simple flat rack as well. Your roof mounts are awesome!! I really like your mounting plates that are welded to the rack itself with all the slots. I can’t make those so I will have to drill specific holes.

A buddy and I already secrewd up several sections of tubing trying to use a conduit bender.

As for the Mustang it is a ‘65 coup, Restomd/street machine. It has a MAF EFI engine I built up from the short block to same specs as Ford’s crate engine. It makes about 345 at fly wheel. Not the fastest car on the track but not the slowest. I have open tracked it at Sears Point raceway and ThunderHill raceway in CA. I also Autocross with it although it has been a while since I have done any of that. It also has 5 speed Cobra tranny, 4 wheel discs, 9” rear end Detroit TruTrac...blah, blah...Might be for sale this summer.

Not the best pics but you get the idea.
A02CEC71-3E2E-46F2-91CC-ECB7C99E28EB.jpeg

C5355CF6-A422-4ABC-83E4-9C9BAD372D4B.jpeg

DAEC6B6A-FD55-48C4-B26B-A77B5637108D.jpeg

Actually got to shake Carroll Shelby’s hand at one open track evening events when I was with the NorCal Shelby club years ago.

Did you bug Slee about why they don't make bumpers for our rigs? They're all of 30 minutes from me, would be awesome if they expanded their line of products to include stuff for us...

They will be getting sliders out in production this summer. Ben didn’t mention a bumper.

I'll give them a call and bug them. :idea:

I got the roof rack built and installed finally. It’s about 83” long, 50” wide and weighs in right at 50#. A bit heavier then I would of liked but not too bad. Once I mount the RTT at 125# I will be up to 175# total.

Tim aka Gamiviti was great about quickly answering some questions about his awesome mounts during the install.

Also removed the running boards and put the trim piece back on but it is hard to see here.

3E73AD5E-4AD5-4C93-AF1B-7A00FC3CCAED.jpeg

Last edited:
Did the ZPC successfully last night per 2005 GX manual. Drove it today to Hefty Fabworks and going around curves I didn’t set off the VSC but I want to get it in the canyon to be sure my problem has been resolved.

This is why I went over to Chris’ shop. :bounce:

68B81082-D758-440E-B262-F549B0DAE12C.jpeg

Time to put away the schematics and break out the welder again.

Did you do the ZPC with the software or the OBD pin method?

Update: Never mind, saw you answer on the other thread.

Sold my LX450 Sunday night. That helps with the financial pressures of this build.

Got the first coat of paint on the sliders.

C00E7FAD-2A6C-490D-9B01-3ECA6D58EB13.jpeg

Got the RRT mounted

1567939B-C349-478F-9198-3490AB51E729.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom