HDJ81 (1HD-T) vs HJ61 (12HT)...trying to make an "intelligent" decision (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My leanings have been confirmed...HDJ81 it is.

Now let’s see if I can find one that doesn’t have a damn aftermarket steering wheel.

Can anyone speak to the differences between the HDJ81 models produced ‘90-‘92 versus those produced in ‘93-‘96? I’m well-acquainted with the changes that occurred through the FJ80/FZJ80 production timeline, but the progression and changes of the HDJ81 over the years it was made seems to be different.

Were the later model HDJ81s improved in any significant manner that would make them worth waiting on for US import eligibility (besides the 1HD-FT)?

@doubled How goes the hunt? I'm in the process of buying one myself. Anything caught your eye yet?

How old we talkin’? Do you think the ‘90-‘96 Land Cruiser models fall within that category of doomed diesels?

I’d figured antique autos would not be subject to the same regulations as new cars as, I understand to be the case today. But I suppose that could always change.

Certainly makes me think twice about hunting down a diesel Cruiser.
In Europe from 2020 a lot of the bigger cities will ban any diesel that does not has the Euro 6 or newer norm, generally speaking these are 2010 and newer.

@doubled How goes the hunt? I'm in the process of buying one myself. Anything caught your eye yet?

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I have an opportunity to purchase a low-miles 61 for a premium, but the doom and gloom about future parts availability has me on my heels. My heart says HJ61 (my absolute grail Cruiser), my head says HDJ81.

Unfortunately at this point I wonder if I’d even be able to enjoy owning a 61 for fear that it’ll become a giant paperweight at any moment. Maybe I’ll say ‘screw it’ and get one anyways. It’s certainly not the logical path to take.

Reading your original post I'd say the HDJ81 makes more sense... but you should get what you really want and be done with it.
Start stockpiling the important parts you can still get NOW.

Get a ****box car to keep some of the low quality miles off the 61. Don't let the rust kill it and it'll last you a good long time.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I have an opportunity to purchase a low-miles 61 for a premium, but the doom and gloom about future parts availability has me on my heels. My heart says HJ61 (my absolute grail Cruiser), my head says HDJ81.

What do you like about the 61 better than the 81. The 81 pretty my checks all my holy grail boxes better than anything else

easy easy on the parts they are not problem yet you can still get virtually anything you may just have to wait to get those parts in from somewhere. Anyway with the 12ht no timing belt to worry about no big end bearing to worry about (i owned one 92 model beb needing doing at 110 thousand kms and it was serviced on time). The age thing will apply to most vehicles say a 1992 hdj81 is not exactly a spring chicken.

Also this is my second hj61 12ht engine, my first one i had from 200 to 480 thousand kms only replacing a water pump. My second and current one in my avatar pictured i got with a low 80 thou and now has 185 thousand on it. Same story but at the moment have not replaced anything.

Now i service my engines on time changing oil every 5 thou according to the manual have my injectors properly cleaned and bench tested every 100 thousand kms. I have sourced parts from all round the world shear pins for my pto winch from the states,Cruiserworld in the netherlands for a spare 24 volt voltage regulator when i do some remote travel.

If you can get a hj61 with cable lockers (i have) they are brilliant. I'm not sure what will happen in the future with diesel old and new where i live western australia no issue at all for any diesel at the moment or the near future, Check for rust closely on 61's and the autos I'm sorry they are just not very strong at all i have a manual one.

Starting the HJ61 puts a smile on my face everytime! Driving it tomorrow actually.

I debated this same topic choosing between these exact vehicles. Yea parts can be a little difficult on the HJ. But how many stories are there on 12ht engine failures? Not many.

The 80 series is probably better in every way. But Its hard to beat the 12ht and 5spd combo.

The truck I’m considering is running the 4-speed auto. I know the A440F is notorious for robbing power and the 5-speed is preferable, but is the performance difference of the 12HT over a 3FE still noticeable with the A440F? Any 61 owners out there that have enjoyed driving the 4-speed auto version?

I suppose I could swap in an H55F at a later date...

In my view its not so much the power robbing i mean there is some but its a torquey diesel its the reliability of them. Now i know in aus its hot heat is bad for autos and i would run a seperate cooler for a start. Need some 12ht guys with auto's to chime in here. Also depends on what you are doing with the vehicle heavy towing, rock crawling or overland (touring) based driving.

Truthfully, this truck would see little heavy use from me. Mostly weekend driving, light trail use, and road trips (so highway miles).

Hey what’d you end up getting?
I’m in the exact same hunt right now.
Heart says 61. Head says 81. ‘89 vs ‘92

Well for what it's worth I reckon the HJ61 will be worth more in the future... the 80 series is a better car (and more "modern" styling) but the 61 has more character and is a lot rarer. A good condition truck that you take care of should appreciate over time...

(Although if you live in an area with salt roads then probably go the 80)

Thanks. I’m in FL so no salt roads. I’m also hell bent on a manual. I found one of each. Both about the same money. Both in similar condition with similar miles.
Interestingly A buddy of mine is also selling his HJ47 troopy. For the same money. In very good shape with a 2H Diesel. But i justgot rid of a troopyhence why i’m looking for a replacement fun kick-around vehicle.
Decisions!!

Drive both before you decide! There is no substitute for getting behind the wheel. For a just fun kick around vehicle I would choose the 61. Driving them back to back one thing will be very apparent, the 61 looks and feels like an old truck. Its also got tons of interior space compared to its outward dimensions. The 81 is one of the best rigs ever made but there's something great about the 61.

Thanks. I got the 61! Love it. Super clean. I got really lucky – this car looks like a time capsule.

70B5CC6F-B412-412E-B132-C058925DC9F3.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom