Upgrade Drawers to Tekboxx from ARB? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings!

Am thinking about upgrading my drawer system from the ARB Outback to the Tekboxx system. Has anyone done this? Monetary aspects aside, is it worth it? Would sell my like new ARB drawers to offset the Trekboxx.

Best regards,
Bill

I have the ARB drawers and really like them. The Trekboxx is REALLY nice but REALLY expensive. I just don’t think I could ever justify the price. The ARB drawers were a hard enough pill to swallow.

I’ve though about doing the cargo barrier and divider/shelf but that’s $1200. Maybe when I get done with a few more things like rear bumper, gears, lockers, etc. but it’s pretty far down the list.

Unless your rig is already completely built exactly the way you want it, and the Trekboxx would complete it, I would think there are a lot of better things to spend the money on since you already have ARB drawers.

What is it that the arb system is preventing you from doing that the Trekboxx system allows?

Yes, the ARB drawers are nice. Don't really have any complaints. They do just about everything that I need them to do. But really impressed with the Trekboxx drawer system. Recently did the tailgate cover from them and am liking it. The Trexboxx drawers would be more of an extravagance than a necessity at this point. So if I can sell my ARB drawers (current listed for sale in the classifieds) and offset some of the cost I would probably go ahead and do it.

Best regards,
Bill

I don’t have these drawers and it’s far down my list but what I like about Trekboxx is the integrated dividers. When we travel we always have our big dog in the back. This system offers a divider between the storage and back seat as well as a way to store stuff under and alongside the dog without worrying about it falling. Also I could have a fridge on a slider and still fit things over it and along side. I haven’t seen other systems with these integrated dividers and shelves.

Agreed that these extra features are nice to have and are certainly appealing to me. I also like the slide out table for a camp stove and the storage for cooking type stuff underneath it. If the build is anything like the quality of the tailgate cover (and I am confident that it is) then price notwithstanding, this is perhaps the best system I have seen offered.

Best regards,
Bill

I don’t have these drawers and it’s far down my list but what I like about Trekboxx is the integrated dividers. When we travel we always have our big dog in the back. This system offers a divider between the storage and back seat as well as a way to store stuff under and alongside the dog without worrying about it falling. Also I could have a fridge on a slider and still fit things over it and along side. I haven’t seen other systems with these integrated dividers and shelves.

Speski Cargo Barriers something like this what you are talking about?

Very happy with my ARB drawers. I have a fridge and a dog crate and they work very well for me.

Speski Cargo Barriers something like this what you are talking about?

Yes (those look awesome by the way) but Trekboxx also has a divider separating the two sides of the storage area (between fridge and the dog). Also a shelf above the fridge. I think these are great features. As much as I love them though I think for my money I’ll most likely go with KISS Drawers from LandShark or else SS1 drawers from airdowngearup once I see how they turn out.

You are correct, they are awesome.

I've considered building such dividers but there are so many variables as to what drawers, and what fridge, mounted in what orientation. Hard to have a one size fits all solution.

While a shelf above the fridge definitely has some merit the divider between the dog and fridge has never been an issue on my end. I've never had a dog try to climb up on the fridge. It would prevent stuff from falling behind the fridge when you slide it out. But I've just always packed something large next to the fridge to do that job if I'm traveling without the dog.

I think the build quality from what I have read is there on the Trekbox. If you have the coin and are curious go for it. What are you not liking about your ARB's that make you want to switch? What advantages do you think you gain by investing in the Trekbox?

Can't comment too much on whether the Trekboxx is worth the extra coin. It definitely exhibits nicer craftsmanship with emphasis on quality. The design was partially influenced with feedback from the mud community. That's worth something right there. If the monetary aspect is aside, my guess is you would be happier with the Trekboxx.

ARB does sell the barrier, shelf and dividers. AFAIK, the entire ARB drawer/dividers/system was sourced from Outback 4wd Interiors, who was producing all of it back in the 90's. Outback was also once a small, one man operation, perhaps akin to Dave @ Trekboxx. With the recent boom of US "Overlanding," I can see Trekboxx getting more and more popular.

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/newProductAdvice/ARB_drawerSystems_PR_retail.pdf
Welcome to Outback 4WD Interiors

Last edited:
Yes (those look awesome by the way) but Trekboxx also has a divider separating the two sides of the storage area (between fridge and the dog). Also a shelf above the fridge. I think these are great features. As much as I love them though I think for my money I’ll most likely go with KISS Drawers from LandShark or else SS1 drawers from airdowngearup once I see how they turn out.

Regarding the SS1: we've got some small refinements since our last set of pictures so watch out for those in the coming weeks.

Trekboxx is the best storage solution, hands down. It's a really cool and complete kit. But you'll pay for it and then some. And your cargo area is more or less permanently dedicated to that style of storage. It's a pretty niche product. Need to move a large box from Home Depot or Costco? Better strap it to the roof!

The SS1 @Kyle Bell and I make is the lightest and most versatile option. The entire assembly weighs 25-30 lbs for the basic kit and uninstalls/installs in a couple minutes, literally. I think it's around 40lbs if you add the sleeper panels. We've also got a functional drawer prototype that works well, but per pound and per dollar we really like the basic platform setup. The drawers add a lot of weight with little added benefit other than the "cool factor". Lightweight bins slide under the platform like butter on the carpet and allow for multiple "load outs" for various activities. Driving around town? Remove the camping and off road bins for extra space. Going camping? Grab the pre-packed camping bin and slide it in. With drawers you're either carrying everything all the time or you have loose items to remove and deposit time and time again, reorganizing every time you load up. Our wings also hinge up to provide quick vertical access to the side cargo areas.

Either way you go, happy shopping!

I built something similar years ago to the "Storage System 1" linked above. Works very well. I keep a couple action packers, pelican cases, toolbox, stove, and other misc things below. Fridge on a slide above with plenty of room remaking for the dog.

Sounds like the SS1 combined with Speski Cargo Barrier would be good for me. I’ll have to look for the right sized cases for underneath so I don’t have to pull out tons of stuff or waste a lot of space getting to everything.

Sounds like the SS1 combined with Speski Cargo Barrier would be good for me. I’ll have to look for the right sized cases for underneath so I don’t have to pull out tons of stuff or waste a lot of space getting to everything.

I am building one now as we speak. Lightweight steel frame with room for a 20 gallon water tank behind the middle row seats, and two Pelican 1650's underneath for the more "full time" kit.... 1 case with spares, tools, recovery, 1 case with camping gear and misc. Plenty of room on top for my fridge, sleeping platform and other gear that needs to come along when it is more than just me. I dig @Corbet 's divider, it keeps the family safe, keeps gear where it should be and it is solid enough to build on if you wanted to use it as a foundation for a shelf/vertical divider.

I am leaving 12" of space underneath for the cases to slide under. Bins will likely replace the Peclicans due to having to mess with 5 latches to get in and out of them. Then once the bins break I might be motivated to build some proper drawers. I think the SS1 guys are really onto something... for my needs and desires at least.

7ABB4AE7-FCF8-4E7B-BBCA-2D390FA7F24F.jpeg
I’ll chime in, I have had the trekboxx system for about 3 years and it has changed the way we travel. When you spend 3-4 weeks on the road the normal road chores of setting up camp/tearing down can become a pita.

We switched from a home brew kit(that I loved) to the trekboxx and a James baroud hard shell and love it. We don’t pack any bags anymore so there is nothing floating around the back anymore.

3 years of hard wheeling and long road trips and still no squeaks or rattles. Top quality stuff and I’m really glad I pulled the trigger

@ENGINE er no doubt that is a SWEET setup. What have you found most useful in upgrading from your homebrew unit that you loved so much? Might help the OP in his decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom