2004 LC - Removing running boards, tips and pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

A note on this if u have an old truck in UK your eyes are gonna be filled with rusty crap falling down hehe. I'm in the process of removing mine. Left side cant get the sphere out its touching the board bracket gonna have another crack tomorrow. My bolts are all rusted like crap as well. Need some patience hammering the socket in.

My son just removed the running from my 99 LC. I was reluctant at first but now I like the new look.

75B4281E-C099-49A3-AFA0-14855BF05FA3.jpeg

My wife is very much opposed to removing the running boards. I watched her get in and out of the vehicle several times during which she did not use them, so I appreciate the writeup. Thank you.

My wife is very much opposed to removing the running boards. I watched her get in and out of the vehicle several times during which she did not use them, so I appreciate the writeup. Thank you.

Sounds like the only solution is for her to let you buy some step sliders ;)

Sounds like the only solution is for her to let you buy some step sliders ;)

Part of her objection is her dogged stance that the running boards somehow protect the vehicle from gravel and other road hazards. I've explained to her that all it does is protect body rust from me, and that sliders are what protects the vehicle next time she turns it all cockeyed sliding down the driveway in the snow...

100 series Land Cruisers don't have front flaps (even with the running boards removed). The front fenders are tapered somewhat and are "finished," unlike LX470s. The LXs require front flaps, as the trailing edge of each front fender is shaped differently than the LC and looks "unfinished" without the flaps.

100% agree. I feel the same way on the LC, though. Looks better with the flaps. There's a vendor somewhere on here that offers the front flaps (or maybe it was a mod?). Unfortunately, the wife refuses to let me remove them because she is a shorty. :D

The running boards on my LX have the factory lights installed in them. When you unplug the connector from these lights, do you guys just zip tie it to the frame somewhere or should other measures be taken to water proof the connector some how?

Not sure if this was covered in another thread, but I just removed mine and all the bolts were 13mm except the ones against the frame mount which were 12mm. I also had to remove a 10mm screw that attached the very front of the running board to the wheel well. The frame weight/dampener was a 14mm

My wife actually requested I remove the running boards from my LC, and she is 5 foot nothing. I like it a lot better without, looks the business with the big BFG All Terrains and no running boards. I ordered the factory mud flaps for the front since my rig is mainly a pavement princess and I wanted to keep the body as good as I can.

So, I’m in the same boat. Just finishing up removing the running boards on my 2003 LC. I wish I had removed them when I first bought the vehicle. One NE winter, and all of the bolts were rusted. Quite a few just snapped. Anyway, I had to remove the 10mm bottom bolts first on the passenger side to give myself more room to work (didn’t jack up the truck).

Now I’m stuck on the very last bracket. Passenger side front bracket. There is a metal line running right behind the bracket blocking my access to the bolts. I can get a socket on the bottom bolt, using a universal joint, but the angle is so steep there is no way I can get any force on it without it slipping off. Additionally, even if I can manage to get the bottom 12mm bolt off, there is no way I can get to the top one.

Is there a trick to removing this last bracket that I am missing? I’m literally two bolts away from being running board free (until my MetalTech 4x4 ones arrive, that is).

HELP!

Anyone remove theirs to expose some crusty rust where the wheel wells meet the rocker. That’s my scenario front and back and I’m concerned if I remove my running board that the rock sliders aren’t gonna hide it as well. My trick spent first 13 years of life in Massachusetts. It’s now here in SoCal and I’m not trying to make it a show car but just don’t want those small rust spots to kill my vibe.

The running boards on my LX have the factory lights installed in them. When you unplug the connector from these lights, do you guys just zip tie it to the frame somewhere or should other measures be taken to water proof the connector some how?
What did you end up doing for your connectors? I just removed my running boards (2002 LX) and I'm not sure what to do with them. For now I'm using the wire from a paper clip to hold them up. Do I need to water proof them as well?

IMG_20191015_110136.jpg

What did you end up doing for your connectors? I just removed my running boards (2002 LX) and I'm not sure what to do with them. For now I'm using the wire from a paper clip to hold them up. Do I need to water proof them as well?

I just left mine dangling for now. I removed the wiring from the boards and am planning on reinstalling the harness once I decide what I'm replacing the OE lights with.

I just left mine dangling for now. I removed the wiring from the boards and am planning on reinstalling the harness once I decide what I'm replacing the OE lights with.
I think I'll probably do that too. Some kind of DIY LED rock lights or something.

Great Write up thank you.

I will say, if you are like me, and don't have a bunch of tools lying around. getting the 1/4" universal joint and 1/4" drive extension (for 12mm bolts) made the job a bit easier for me. as seent here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom