General Grabber X3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dubyahard

SILVER Star
Threads
So just as I was about to purchase my second set of KO2s I was presented with the chance to buy some General Grabber X3 for essentially 50% off.
I am looking for a review of the Grabber X3 on a 5-speed 100 series both on-road and off-road.
I’m coming from a 80 series with 295/75R16 and I’m considering the size 275/70R18. The specs are below.
My usage will be PNW forest trails, mild OHV trails, snow wheelin, and commuting to work.
I loved the KO2s enough that I’m still considering passing on the X3 deal but I was hoping to find some user reviews in this forum.
Thanks,
Will

So just as I was about to purchase my second set of KO2s I was presented with the chance to buy some General Grabber X3 for essentially 50% off.
I am looking for a review of the Grabber X3 on a 5-speed 100 series both on-road and off-road.
I’m coming from a 80 series with 295/75R16 and I’m considering the size 275/70R18. The specs are below.
My usage will be PNW forest trails, mild OHV trails, snow wheelin, and commuting to work.
I loved the KO2s enough that I’m still considering passing on the X3 deal but I was hoping to find some user reviews in this forum.
Thanks,
Will

I purchased Grabber X3s, 275/70/18 for my 100 last fall. I had just purchased my first 100 (2004 LX470) after having had four 80's starting from 1992. Loving the LX. Truck had P rated all season tires when I bought it. This is what I found with the X3:
1. Love the traction, both mud and snow. I live in serious snow country with steep hills to get home every day.
2. Spare; had to air down to 20 lb to force it in to place.
3. Shocked at how much power I lost. Still faster than my 80s but painfully slower compared to the P rated at 275/60/18 factory size.
4. Lost about 4 mpg OUCH. Before the X3 I had been getting 15/19 with an average of about 17 mpg. with the X3 getting 11/15 after correcting to actual mileage per GPS, (not speedometer mileage). With the 275/70/18 your speedo will be off about 5 mph at 70
5. Brakes far weaker. I guess the spinning weight, and larger leverage from the bigger diameter.
6. I was surprised at how much that extra inch in radius makes it harder to climb up to my seat. (I am 6'2")
7. Road noise went from NONE to substantial. Not enough to be a deal breaker for me but at certain speeds I can feel the lugs hitting the road.
SUMMARY:
Generally like the tire. I now have about 8000 miles on the X3. 5 wheel rotation done at 6000 miles. Wear is minimal and even. I suspect most of the things I don't like about X3 relate more to the larger diameter/ going from P to LT rating than anything general about the tire. Will that extra inch of clearance make a noticeable difference to me on off road use... Not likely. There were so few choices for tires with the factory size of 275/60/18 that moved me to a large diameter. I think next time around I will stay with the X3 or similar tire but at the 275/65/18.

Note: I have gone through maybe 10 sets of KO's over the years and came to realize they were horrible in snow, poor in mud, didnt wear that well. So poor that I wont even consider the K0 2's. I am sure they work well for some, but where I live in snow country in the mountains with steep roads, not an option.

@SARguy thanks!
This is the review I was looking for. The tires I have now are Michelin Latitude Tour HP in P275/60R18. So I expect a hit to mpg, acceleration and braking. I wonder if the difference would be significant between the X3 and KO2 in the same size.
KO2 is 57.7 lbs.
X3 is 65.3 lbs.

@SARguy thanks!
This is the review I was looking for. The tires I have now are Michelin Latitude Tour HP in P275/60R18. So I expect a hit to mpg, acceleration and braking. I wonder if the difference would be significant between the X3 and KO2 in the same size.
KO2 is 57.7 lbs.
X3 is 65.3 lbs.
I picked the X3 because the tread wasnt just a pure mud tread but close..... More filled in in the center of the tire. I am real happy with off road performance, ok with the noise, and actually still ok with the weaker braking, acceleration, and I think that the mileage drop has equal parts of diameter increase outside the designed range of the gearing, moving from P to LT and extra rolling resistance from the mud tread. All said, I think next time X3 in the 275/65

I picked the X3 because the tread wasnt just a pure mud tread but close..... More filled in in the center of the tire. I am real happy with off road performance, ok with the noise, and actually still ok with the weaker braking, acceleration, and I think that the mileage drop has equal parts of diameter increase outside the designed range of the gearing, moving from P to LT and extra rolling resistance from the mud tread. All said, I think next time X3 in the 275/65
Would you say the noise is like typical mud tire? Like the humm you get at higher speeds? Hard to carry on a conversation?
I had maybe 20k miles on my KO2s before I sold the 80. I used them in all conditions (mud, ice, snow, sand, rock, etc.) and was very impressed. I get like there was no where I couldn’t go due to limits of the tire. I’ve aired them down to 9 psi on stock rims in deep snow and still got around.

Would you say the noise is like typical mud tire? Like the humm you get at higher speeds? Hard to carry on a conversation?
I had maybe 20k miles on my KO2s before I sold the 80. I used them in all conditions (mud, ice, snow, sand, rock, etc.) and was very impressed. I get like there was no where I couldn’t go due to limits of the tire. I’ve aired them down to 9 psi on stock rims in deep snow and still got around.
The mud tire hum on X3s is noticeable, but not ever enough to interfere in the least with conversation or listening to tunes. When I put the X3's on, my wife didn't even notice I had put new tires on, so it couldn't be that loud. I am quite protective of my hearing and never crank up the music, ( just for reference).
For years I thought the KO's were doing just fine for me till i tried a different tire and and realized their limitations. The main reason I originally switched away from kOs was because I was only getting about 25 to 30 K miles out of the K0s before there was enough tread gone that they were totally useless on snow and mud. That included proper rotating, alignment, and all rotating components which would not have contributed to any early wear. This was true through my 60 and first three 80's till I switched. After switching was when i realized that the snow and mud performance was not that good from being new.
I haven't had the X3's in sand yet, but I suspect the K0's tread pattern would do much better in the sand. The lowest I have aired down so far has been 22 lbs no problem. I havent had a chance to push them all that hard yet. Lots of snowy roads and trails... muddy/snowy BLM roads, 1/4 mile stretch of really nasty limestone sharp rocks/steep/sharp turns climb where I should have aired down for puncture resistance, but had no problem. For me the jury will still be out on the X3's till they are worn out, but so far my only buyer's remorse is I wish I would have gotten the 275/65/18 instead of the 275/70/18

The mud tire hum on X3s is noticeable, but not ever enough to interfere in the least with conversation or listening to tunes. When I put the X3's on, my wife didn't even notice I had put new tires on, so it couldn't be that loud. I am quite protective of my hearing and never crank up the music, ( just for reference).
For years I thought the KO's were doing just fine for me till i tried a different tire and and realized their limitations. The main reason I originally switched away from kOs was because I was only getting about 25 to 30 K miles out of the K0s before there was enough tread gone that they were totally useless on snow and mud. That included proper rotating, alignment, and all rotating components which would not have contributed to any early wear. This was true through my 60 and first three 80's till I switched. After switching was when i realized that the snow and mud performance was not that good from being new.
I haven't had the X3's in sand yet, but I suspect the K0's tread pattern would do much better in the sand. The lowest I have aired down so far has been 22 lbs no problem. I havent had a chance to push them all that hard yet. Lots of snowy roads and trails... muddy/snowy BLM roads, 1/4 mile stretch of really nasty limestone sharp rocks/steep/sharp turns climb where I should have aired down for puncture resistance, but had no problem. For me the jury will still be out on the X3's till they are worn out, but so far my only buyer's remorse is I wish I would have gotten the 275/65/18 instead of the 275/70/18
Thanks for the great feedback. I was going to ask for pictures but then I found your posts in another thread. I think I have enough info to make a decision.

I ended up going with the General Grabber ATx in 275/70r18. It was closer in characteristics to the KO2.

So far, I'm pleased. Although I need more "test data" for snow and sand. I've only been to the dunes ones and the snow once with them. It's also my first time running the 100 and 18" wheels so I'm still playing with tire pressure and throttle control. It's easy with the 80 series b/c it's so distinct when the torque converter kicks in - 100 and ATRAC is a bit different. In poor conditions on pavement, I haven't been able to "make" them lose traction yet. Noise wise they are fine - no issues with me. On the highway, the wind covers up the road noise. Low speed, it doesn't bother me.
I'm happy with the way they look.

I have the same General ATx and love them. I have had them on for 4-5 months. Took them on a 1500 mile trip that same week i bought them. Great HWY ride and comfy with standard AT noise. Handle north Georgia light trails with ease. I just took them to an off road park and they handled mud, water, sand, tall gravel/rocks/wet hill climbed with impressive grip.

This was by far the best tire i have bought for $600 or so bucks.

I have the same General ATx and love them. I have had them on for 4-5 months. Took them on a 1500 mile trip that same week i bought them. Great HWY ride and comfy with standard AT noise. Handle north Georgia light trails with ease. I just took them to an off road park and they handled mud, water, sand, tall gravel/rocks/wet hill climbed with impressive grip.

This was by far the best tire i have bought for $600 or so bucks.
Nice, I just put 5 ATx on mine and love them so far (haven’t had off road so far) but sadly I paid about $1300 installed :bang: Gotta find those better deals next time. Haven’t seen them anywhere for anything close to under 200 clams!

I'm sold on the ATX, but they're not available in 295 70 18, which I'm trying to move up to. X3 is available in that size. Still, your reports are promising.

I ended up going with the General Grabber ATx in 275/70r18. It was closer in characteristics to the KO2.

So far, I'm pleased. Although I need more "test data" for snow and sand. I've only been to the dunes ones and the snow once with them. It's also my first time running the 100 and 18" wheels so I'm still playing with tire pressure and throttle control. It's easy with the 80 series b/c it's so distinct when the torque converter kicks in - 100 and ATRAC is a bit different. In poor conditions on pavement, I haven't been able to "make" them lose traction yet. Noise wise they are fine - no issues with me. On the highway, the wind covers up the road noise. Low speed, it doesn't bother me.
I'm happy with the way they look.
View attachment 1902584
Sold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom