Minimalist vehicle-borne camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

digging a hole at least 12 inches deep in the sand is the key to building a fire on the beach. I dug a hole then put the firewood pieces in it sticking straight up. Once it gets going and with the wind blowing that fire is like a huge propane torch! Wood burns fast and hot.

If I believed in the concept of minimalist camping, I'd be on a REI sponsored forum. :flipoff2:

Yup, i bring the kitchen sink and lumbar down the right lane with my 7k lb of BBW baby!!!! When I want to get to get frisky with the current GF, I just fire up the hot water producer under the hood and it's all about Bow Chicky Bow Bow bitches. :hillbilly:

you crack me up!

I grew up on the Oregon Coast and hate beach camping. Even the campfires lack gusto unless you build something that rivals Burning Man.
We camp inland and make day trips to the coast.
We go for beach camping in the summer to get cold.

:lol:

When I first started camping with my 80 Series, my buddy and I would take our sons and/or their friends tent camping. We'd usually have four or five people each time. The campsite would be primitive, and my buddy liked to cook nice meals from scratch, so we brought a LOT of stuff. Here's a photo of El Guapo as we were about to head out for a 4-day/3-night trip:
pUCAFCR.jpg

The trailer was 4' x 6', the 3rd row seats were removed and that area was full of stuff, and there was stuff on the 2nd row seats too.

After that I started riding and camping with some other guys twice a year. We'd stay at National Forest campgrounds, so we'd have a fire-pit, a picnic table, a tent pad, a pit toilet, and (usually) running water. As I got older I went from a pad on the ground, to an air mattress, to an over-sized cot, to an over-sized inflatable foam pad on the cot in the tent.

On our most recent trip it rained on us twice, including the morning as we were breaking camp. After that, I came home and went through all my gear and pared it down. I also made a sincere commitment to setting up my LC to be able to sleep in it, with all my gear inside at the same time, if necessary.
Here's what that set-up could look like:
7etJzrw.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^love the old school ice vending machine in the background.

O. I also made a sincere commitment to setting up my LC to be able to sleep in it, with all my gear inside at the same time, if necessary.

We finally gave up on tents and cots. Mary made privacy curtains for the FJ60 cargo bay. Self inflating pads plus chaise lounge cushions and it sleeps two in comfort. Redneck awning is a canvas tarp tied to the roof rack.

010_RS.jpg

IMG_1639_RS.jpg

Well, you can be minimalist in the stuff you take with you, but if that means spending an hour or so to set everything up (like setting up a tent, putting your stuff in there and so on) then I dislike. Because I'm lazy :p
So whether you're taking a normal tent, or a huge trailer that you set up, I don't like both. I just want to park somewhere, possibly flipping open a roof top tent, but that's it.
Usually we end up in some place at the end of the day, usually a bit too late, and there is food that needs be cooked. That is already enough work on a holiday :)

But if I wouldn't be travelling with my family, then I would go quite minimalist. As above, just a mattress in the back of a Landcruiser or 4Runner and just go. Would not even have a roofrack.

Who needs a tent? I just throw the pad and sleeping pad on the ground. Who needs cooked food? I just have a water bottle, and a bag of nuts and some dried fruits. I don't even have a fridge or a cooler. That's how I like to camp. I can go for days.
IMG_20170812_063340.jpg

Haha but I see a tent! With the sole purpose of taking a sh*t :p

Yeah. I admit the toilet tent is a luxury I do carry with me. It sets up fast. If it were more forested, I would squat and drop (into a wag bag) behind a tree.

Who needs a tent? I just throw the pad and sleeping pad on the ground. Who needs cooked food? I just have a water bottle, and a bag of nuts and some dried fruits. I don't even have a fridge or a cooler. That's how I like to camp. I can go for days.View attachment 1654547
You don't even have arms on your chair. Now that's minimalism!

:eek:

Not yet... cover your mess! ... and change your diet... those are some tiny turds! o_O

Ha ha. It's cat litter pre-"deposit". I'm a vegan but I can assure you I have much bigger, and the best droppings.

When deer, coyotes, bob cats, wombats, elephants, lions , tigers , bears , oh my , antelope use a wag bag then I might consider using one . My s**t is nothing special.:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom