1HZ Turbo Vendors , recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently installed a 1HZ into my FJ 60, I live at altitude and have come to conclusion that a turbo should have been included at the time of install . I am looking for recommendations of from whom to order the turbo kit from? There are many kits available specific to the 80 series, but no kits specifically for a HZJ 60. Not wanting to buy extra parts included with the kit , that may or may not fit my application in the 60. What vendor would you recommend?

Contact Georg, @orangefj45. He installed a custom spec'd Garrett on my 1HZ. Best investment you can make, IMO.

Contact Georg, @orangefj45. He installed a custom spec'd Garrett on my 1HZ. Best investment you can make, IMO.
I have nothing but praise for Valley Hybrids/ Cruiser Bros. . They have supplied many key components that I needed to complete my diesel swap. I do not live close to their location. I inquired a few months ago about sourcing a turbo kit through them for self install , was told they do not supply them . I have been looking at the Safari 80 kit..Thanks for recommendation.

There really isn't a "kit" specific to vehicles for turbos, rather then engines. Its easy to fit a turbo, tons of info on MUD about how to do it and what parts you need. As far as the turbo, you want one spec'ed for your engine. Look into Gturbo, wink, mamba, many just take the 1HDT setup and swap it over . Keep in mind, slapping a turbo on is only the beginning, especially on 1HZ's which were not meant to be turbo'ed, plenty of people here have ruined their engines with improper turbo setups.

You will need, pump tuning, better cooling(radiator and intake), EGT gauge at the least, high flow exhaust.

There really isn't a "kit" specific to vehicles for turbos, rather then engines. Its easy to fit a turbo, tons of info on MUD about how to do it and what parts you need. As far as the turbo, you want one spec'ed for your engine. Look into Gturbo, wink, mamba, many just take the 1HDT setup and swap it over . Keep in mind, slapping a turbo on is only the beginning, especially on 1HZ's which were not meant to be turbo'ed, plenty of people here have ruined their engines with improper turbo setups.

You will need, pump tuning, better cooling(radiator and intake), EGT gauge at the least, high flow exhaust.

Thanks for the advice. Points well taken .these are surely the issues I’m trying to avoid..

Search Results | Denco Diesel and Turbo

My 3b turbo kit came from these guys. They appear to have kits and individual peices for alot of motors. I have no complaints with my system.

543D3515-4E64-40B5-BCBE-D298B2252B0A.png

Last edited:
For the cost of 1HZ engine + a turbo kit, you should just have bought a 1HDT. Probably would have been cheaper, and a direct injection diesel can handle the extra heat of a turbo much much better than an indirect injection engine....

True, 1HD-T is a far better option, but a turbo can transform a 1HZ.

I think you can do a lot better than the Denco kit. I can't find specs on the turbo they use, but I get the impression it's old tech.

What year is the 1HZ? Whether to turbo, and how to turbo will depend on what year it was made. 100series 1HZ had different pistons, and don't have a good reputation for surviving turbo charging. I've turbo charged mine (see link in my signature) but have very few miles on it yet.

No should have, could have ,would haves ... it’s too late for that.

As someone mentioned above, if you can find a reasonable deal for all the turbo parts off a 1HDT, then you're off to a good start. You could then consider upgrading the turbo from that point when you're ready. G-turbo or similar. Not sure if the 1HDFTE turbo fits direct to the 1HDT manifold or not, but it does have better performance than the earlier one.

Not really, to do a proper turbo setup, all in your looking at 5k, maybe not at once, but as you will find it will require more and more money to keep it running efficient and safe, I know from personal experience. You can get a 1HDT swapped in for 8k on the high end, and sell your 1HZ for 3500 easy. Thats pretty much what I ended up doing, wishing I did it from the beginning.

image.jpeg

Just curious, how many folks who are advocating pulling the 1HZ in favor of a 1HDT have actually run a turbocharged 1HZ for a long period of time?

Last edited:
Just curious, how many folks who are advocating pulling the 1HZ in favor of a 1HDT have actually run a turbocharged 1HZ for a long period of time?

I've heard it from a few now. Including guys like ForealBoreal and 77cruiser77 . It's also talked about quite a bit by the Australians. Personally I think a turbo 1HZ is fine for moving around most landcruisers reliably. I think the problems occur when you actually try to work it hard. For example, try towing something heavy on a hot day up a long hill. You'll be having 2LTE flashbacks. :)

I've heard it from a few now. Including guys like ForealBoreal and 77cruiser77 . It's also talked about quite a bit by the Australians. Personally I think a turbo 1HZ is fine for moving around most landcruisers reliably. I think the problems occur when you actually try to work it hard. For example, try towing something heavy on a hot day up a long hill. You'll be having 2LTE flashbacks. :)
I've been running a turbocharged / Intercooled 1HZ for two years now and it's been flawless. To be fair, I do realize 2 years isn't "long term" and I don't work it hard (no towing) but our Summers are LONG AND HOT and the local area is constant rolling hills.

Mine's been running since 2009. No big mods other than keeping pressure to about 10psi and keeping EGTs in check. No intercooler, stock FJ62 radiator (with custom hackjob shroud), no pump tuning. It is a Garrett disco potato with a housing now suited to work better at higher altitude. I do have a 3" exhaust but suspect ~2.5" is adequate because I'm not going for huge flows. I'm running a low psi Walbro lift pump by the fuel tank to keep the IP from having to work hard pulling fuel through the Racor filter.

It was about 2k for the new turbo, making the exh manifold adapter, elbows, oil fittings and exhaust.

So sure get a 1HDT if you can find one, but don't feel that it is necessary either. It doesn't take a lot to wake up the 1HZ to very adequate usable power. I probably wouldn't tow anything very heavy for very long, but moving a 6400 armored and packed 62 around is no problem with this setup.

I just now need to get the IP in for work and will do the injectors at the same time, but we don't know if they've ever been touched or any other history other than the motor was supposedly rebuilt at sometime many miles prior to getting it from AUS.

To the OP- the .64 A/R housing was perfect for running around Ouray compared to the .86 A/R I originally got. Pressure developed much earlier and kept everything running smooth. The downside was that the powerband ran out earlier. So if I were staying at lower altitudes or wanted to run 85mph all day I would have kept the .86 A/R housing. I don't envy you without a turbo in Colorado.

Last edited:
View attachment 1653922

Look at the opposite argument. How many people pull 1HD engines to fit 1HZ+T?

Zero.

There is only one thing IDI diesels do better than DI. That's rev. But in spite of that power and torque and lower, stress, heat rejection and fuel consumption are higher.

What altitude are we talking?

It's also talked about quite a bit by the Australians. Personally I think a turbo 1HZ is fine for moving around most landcruisers reliably. I

Yeah, not just talked about, there's loads of history of turbo charged 1HZ in Australia.

Traditionally the approach is boost to about 7-10psi, crank up the fuel so smoke is tolerable and call it good.

Low boost, high fuel, no intercooler, no monitoring, and tuning driven by impressing the customer, not by longevity. Then add customers blindly driving it relentlessly on a hot tune.
Lots survive it, many don't.
Tow a van, or a boat, and the torture level goes right up.

Higher boost is your friend, it keeps combustion temps lower. Heat in the head is the 1HZ's big weakness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom