Plasti dip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone sprayed their whole truck. Thinking matte black to protect the paint when going off-roading. Curious how it looks and if it worked etc.

I dipped the chrome "Land Cruiser" on my tail gate. It has held up reasonably well. Been about a year since I did it. I should probably respray it soon. I vinyl wrapped the chrome on my door panels and my hood. That has held up very well but was a huge pain to get right. The hood to me and my wife like 5 hours to get wrinkle free.

I'd not want to be the person cleaning old plasti dip off an entire car. That would be HORRIBLE. I think I'd go vinyl wrap over plasti dip. I lived in Norway for a few years and there are lots of cars there that are vinyl wrapped for protection. They look good and hold up well.

I only have the beauty rings on my RW wheels plasti dipped, 5 coats per ea. ring, and it holds up surprisingly well. In my experience with plasti dip its easier to remove the thicker you apply it. If a thick coat is being taken off the plasti dip seems to stay together better and comes off in bigger pcs. If I was motivated to cover my truck I'd splurge for the vinyl wrap.​

I have done my Rock Warriors in bright aluminum plastidip. Looks like factory silver finish. It holds up OK but next time I touch them up, I will add a coat of wax.

Interesting video I saw recently, shows difference wax makes:

Yes I have heard can be a pain to remove if not coated with enough material. Plus saw there is a spray cleaner to remove in the future as well for overspray etc. See the kits for a paint gun and 5 gallons of paint is like 450 bucks. Think I will give it a go once it gets warmer out.

Yes I have heard can be a pain to remove if not coated with enough material. Plus saw there is a spray cleaner to remove in the future as well for overspray etc. See the kits for a paint gun and 5 gallons of paint is like 450 bucks. Think I will give it a go once it gets warmer out.

I'm sure there's an "official" remover, but my experience is that WD-40 works great to remove plasti-dip

It's a 100 but still dipped. The flag was for 4th of July.

LX 4TH 2.JPG
LX CAMO 6.JPG
LX COPPER 10.jpg

I've sprayed my LX twice and a few other cars. Each time I get a little better at it.

The more you put on the easier it is to take off.
Dipyourcar.com is where I buy my supplies and they have a YouTube channel as well with tons of info.

From personal experience: YES, you must put on a zillion coats of Plastidip or it WILL be a royal pain to remove. Something like 10-15 coats is what I would recommend. These would be thinner coats, as if too thick you'll get runs and sags. The web is full of horror stories of folks having trouble removing thin coats, so you have been warned.

Dipyourcar also sells a "preservative" that acts similar to Armorall, but does keep the Plastidip looking good. Also, for the last few coats I would recommend a glossy Plastidip to keep the base color from fading. I did all the chrome on our 200 and am very pleased with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom