25 Year Engineering service life. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

25 years from now the 200 Series would be better served with an 8-track player than the current infotainment system — hell I’d be happier with an 8-track player in it now...

It would be great if Toyota would offer conversion kits to US customers so that we could go to regular double din units and still be able to control HVAC without having to come up with our own hacks for it, but I guess that’s what planned obsolescence is all about...

Nevertheless, I want to be driving my LC in 25 years rather than riding around in some autonomous POS...

You're making me all warm and fuzzy for my Australian spec. HVAC for me is buttons. Nav is my samsung s8.

Well folks, this turned out to be very interesting.

Some say hearsay, others say whispers from Toyota. Nothing concrete though. The rumor persists.

Thank you all for weighing in with your thoughts and comments. Long live our cruisers.

I’m pretty convinced Toyota hasn’t made such an announcement.

But when you crawl underneath the Cruiser after crawling under just about ANYTHING else’s? You come away convinced this thing is built to endure.
That’s good enough for me.

Throw enough service money at any vehicle and it'll last 25 years. This term gets throw around a lot because original owners and succeeding owners plop a premium amount of money for a Land Cruiser/LX so they obv by nature will take care of their things by getting it serviced. Service=a long life. If that same service schedule was applied to say a domestic pickup truck made within the past 10 years, they would last 25 years too.

Overall, as much as I f'in love cruisers, its BS. I've seen 15 year old cruisers/LXs that look like **** even though they were 100% pavement princesses with an average service schedule which means oil changes, and things that were fixed when they started to make noises/didnt feel right with the average driver. I've also seen extremely 100% dealer serviced by the book but were mid-west Cruisers that you could kick a tire and rust would fall off of.

Throw enough service money at any vehicle and it'll last 25 years. This term gets throw around a lot because original owners and succeeding owners plop a premium amount of money for a Land Cruiser/LX so they obv by nature will take care of their things by getting it serviced. Service=a long life. If that same service schedule was applied to say a domestic pickup truck made within the past 10 years, they would last 25 years too.

Overall, as much as I f'in love cruisers, its BS. I've seen 15 year old cruisers/LXs that look like **** even though they were 100% pavement princesses with an average service schedule which means oil changes, and things that were fixed when they started to make noises/didnt feel right with the average driver. I've also seen extremely 100% dealer serviced by the book but were mid-west Cruisers that you could kick a tire and rust would fall off of.

Yeah, I guess that's the thing. I sold classic and pre-owned Mercs, Lexus and Jags etc for around 5 years and you can see mid 90s examples traded in by old men that are perfect and 3 year old vehicles that are thrashed by a careless soccer mum.

Out here in Oz we still have so many 60 and 80s on the road. Where I live 80s are even more common than 100s. Maintenance is key. Often saw LX470's with 90k kms thrashed and pristine examples at 250k.

The one thing I did learn though is Lexus/Toyota never gave us warranty or pre sale issues followed closely by Mercedes. BMW were utter s***heaps. They all pissed oil or had electrical gremlins or some other malady.

That's why I'm kind of glad I got a mid spec Aussie 200. No nav, no steering wheel buttons, no electric seats, velour trim etc...but still not the poverty pack example. It's a stark comparison to my beautiful LX470 interior but the 200 platform feels significantly tougher than a 100.
It's a shame that the US gets the top-of-the-line LC model. I absolutely would have picked up a stripped down model if I could have if for no other reason than reliability is far more important to me than the features. But I understand why Toyota doesn't offer anything but the VX here.

Of course now that I have the features I have to say that the heated steering wheel is my favorite whenever I get into the truck when it's -10F here. And the one item which has given me issues is a mechanical component - the center locking diff which still occasionally flashes when starting cold (even with semi-regular use).

I’ve put 41,000 miles since new and the only failure I’ve experienced to date is the fuel door spring. (Of course, it took three tries at the dealer to get the right replacement part...)

It's a shame that the US gets the top-of-the-line LC model. I absolutely would have picked up a stripped down model if I could have if for no other reason than reliability is far more important to me than the features. But I understand why Toyota doesn't offer anything but the VX here.

Of course now that I have the features I have to say that the heated steering wheel is my favorite whenever I get into the truck when it's -10F here. And the one item which has given me issues is a mechanical component - the center locking diff which still occasionally flashes when starting cold (even with semi-regular use).

It's funny you say that, my diff flashes occasionally too. The painted plastic wood here ends up looking like s*** because of the Aussie sun. It turns to brown plastic.

That's why I'm kind of glad I got a mid spec Aussie 200. No nav, no steering wheel buttons, no electric seats, velour trim etc...but still not the poverty pack example. It's a stark comparison to my beautiful LX470 interior but the 200 platform feels significantly tougher than a 100.

You guys at downunder have the luxury of getting different spec LC but we only get 1 version!!

You guys at downunder have the luxury of getting different spec LC but we only get 1 version!!

Yes i'm aware. On the whole though, you guys have it much better.

Much better cost of cars and selection. We get none of your big pickups or Expeditions, Yukons, Suburbans, Navigators etc. Also, cost of servicing etc..

Also the top spec cruiser here costs $135k. Even with the dollar discrepancies. Also your fuel is cheap as s***. Costs me $210 to fill the cruiser.

I’ve put 41,000 miles since new and the only failure I’ve experienced to date is the fuel door spring. (Of course, it took three tries at the dealer to get the right replacement part...)

I had the same failure. Fortunately the part was $4.15. In theory it should've been covered by the Toyota extended warranty but the dealer tried to claim rust and I preferred to tell him where he could stick his incorrect assessment (since it was a Houston truck which had only been in Chicago 3 weeks) and fix it myself. Grossinger Toyota has lost my business forever.

Toyota’s weakest link is definitely the dealerships.

There's another dealer about 15 min farther away (Bredemann) who has been great to work with. They don't all suck, apparently.

my 40 is going on 45 years - original F motor. I will go the record and say the 25 year service life is legit ;)

420E61EE-675C-4EFD-97F8-378F5A6290C3.jpeg

Maybe a good question for 80 series owners... How many parts does Toyota (or their utilized suppliers like Denso, etc.) still produce/ship to serve the 80 at this point?

my 40 is going on 45 years - original F motor. I will go the record and say the 25 year service life is legit ;)

I had a 1975 FJ40 with original motor. Sold it a couple months ago (we are building a house).

I had a 1975 FJ40 with original motor. Sold it a couple months ago (we are building a house).
Mine is a 74 (built 11/73) .. I should also mention that is has the original 3 spd transmission as well o_O. I finally broke down earlier this year and upgraded the front drums to disc brakes. If the F does die, I am going 2.8 Cummins with a NV4500 5 spd all the way! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom