Just Purchased a 1993 with 220K. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all

Just purchased a 1993 80 . got a good deal on in. not so rusty but at the moment it needs a fan clutch and a new alternator and belts. what else should i change along with this. the previous owner took the belts off and used the fan clutch in his other 80 series so all the pulleys are kind of seized up. what else should i purchase along with the alternator , and fan clutch, ..... new fan blade? water pump? just trying to buy it all and get in there once. any help is greatly appreciated. theres rust starting on the outside of the top tailgate ill need to address asap the front two leather seats are ripped beyond belief . i need a Clock as the clock has been punched or busted out and a few other interior switches. have not seen the truck drive but it did start fine with a little smoking but it had been sitting for a year.

23795518_1996346333952883_2714587318214747040_n.jpg

23795620_1996346307286219_3396885399686233502_n.jpg

Groovy wheels...did it come with the boat?

Why would you need new fan blades? The water pumps very rarely fail.

I'm a fan of replacing starters and alternators right off the bat. The power steering pump is probably leaking or will fairly soon, and it's easy to get to it with the alternator out (Gates PS pump rebuild kit is ~$15 at Rockauto). Plan to replace at least the PHH (search if you don't know what that means) and flush the entire cooling system thoroughly.

I’m a little confused, you’re in Boston?
Is this a diesel? If not what engine is in it a 3fe a 1fz, just never seen this color combo stock Edit other than in non na markets. Are the seats cloth or leather ?

I have always thought that color combo was awesome! Most of the ones I have seen were from overseas though and I thought they were '91-'92 models. TIL...

As for the belts, you could do the water pump, but most people think they are good for at least 300K. The belts should for be Toyota belts though. Fan clutch might be worth looking at, but you live in Boston, so it might not get hot enough to run into cooling issues.

As far as the rest of it goes, there is no end to the PM that you could do, but one thing at a time isn't the worst way to go about it. How do the knuckles look?

Nice snag. I would do water pump too. See if your idlers and AC Pulley are good. Fan might be ok, just check it. Cool Rig

Looks like it has lockouts on the front hubs too...........

I have always thought that color combo was awesome! Most of the ones I have seen were from overseas though and I thought they were '91-'92 models. TIL...

As for the belts, you could do the water pump, but most people think they are good for at least 300K. The belts should for be Toyota belts though. Fan clutch might be worth looking at, but you live in Boston, so it might not get hot enough to run into cooling issues.

As far as the rest of it goes, there is no end to the PM that you could do, but one thing at a time isn't the worst way to go about it. How do the knuckles look?
The thing is the guy i bought it from he bought this as a parts truck for his wheeling rig. the only part he took off was the fan clutch. he installed a different model fan clutch thats not fit properly now so i will 100% need to replace it. i figured why not the blade also if i was in there. as for the alternator its not moving and all the other belt driven pieces are all seized to i believe as he had the belts off for one year. as for rust theres really not anything bad considering in north of Boston. just a little on the rear hatch that i think i can repair if done in the next few months. The interior is Leather, second and third row are in great shape front seats have had it. im missing a few interior pieces i will post more photos tomorrow we just got 12 inches of snow..... it has the sunroof , i don't think it has lockers . For $2k i was happy to take it off his hands. i was not in the market for a 80 yet although ive always wanted one until i found this one. has older Edelbrock Shocks and Springs that will need changing but first thing is get it running.. please if theres anything else i should pickup to do at this time of all these other parts any input would be greatly appreciated ill post more photos in the morning. just had it towed home last night, detailed the interior, then we got hit with a storm up here..
so far before i make my order at rock auto this is what i have
Ideler Pulley GATES 36788
Fan/Alt Belt ACDELCO 15447M
ASIN Fan Clutch AISIN FCT004
ASIN fan blade AISIN FNT004
ASIN water PUMP AISIN WPT023
Denso Alternator DENSO 2100181
Spark plug wire set DENSO 6716172
Spark plugs DENSO 4503
Timing Set ??? ITM ENGINE COMPONENTS

Nice snag. I would do water pump too. See if your idlers and AC Pulley are good. Fan might be ok, just check it. Cool Rig
Thanks!! definitely think it needs the Idelers and AC pulley, did i get the correct ones in my list?

Whats the best wa

whats the best way to examine the knuckles?

Pictures to follow in the morning

whats the best way to examine the knuckles?

just buy 200 bucks worth of parts and fluids and do it. its cheap and i have never seen an 80 in my life (outside of mud members) that the owner took care of the front end. they are always worn out and need to be fixed.

I'm in southern NH, let me know if you need help, I might be able to help, or point you in the right direction.

The thing is the guy i bought it from he bought this as a parts truck for his wheeling rig. the only part he took off was the fan clutch. he installed a different model fan clutch thats not fit properly now so i will 100% need to replace it. i figured why not the blade also if i was in there. as for the alternator its not moving and all the other belt driven pieces are all seized to i believe as he had the belts off for one year. as for rust theres really not anything bad considering in north of Boston. just a little on the rear hatch that i think i can repair if done in the next few months. The interior is Leather, second and third row are in great shape front seats have had it. im missing a few interior pieces i will post more photos tomorrow we just got 12 inches of snow..... it has the sunroof , i don't think it has lockers . For $2k i was happy to take it off his hands. i was not in the market for a 80 yet although ive always wanted one until i found this one. has older Edelbrock Shocks and Springs that will need changing but first thing is get it running.. please if theres anything else i should pickup to do at this time of all these other parts any input would be greatly appreciated ill post more photos in the morning. just had it towed home last night, detailed the interior, then we got hit with a storm up here..
so far before i make my order at rock auto this is what i have
Ideler Pulley GATES 36788
Fan/Alt Belt ACDELCO 15447M
ASIN Fan Clutch AISIN FCT004
ASIN fan blade AISIN FNT004
ASIN water PUMP AISIN WPT023
Denso Alternator DENSO 2100181
Spark plug wire set DENSO 6716172
Spark plugs DENSO 4503
Timing Set ??? ITM ENGINE COMPONENTS

the only thing I'd recommend is not buying from Rock Auto due to their abhorrent customer service, but some people need to learn the hard way, just like I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom