Ordering a Soft Top for Jack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My mother wants to get Dad a soft top for his birthday present. I'm hoping that you guys with Trollhole top experience can help me.

From what I can tell, all I need to to do is order a top and hardware kit from Trollhole, and then this bow/frame set:

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40/BJ40 Soft top frame bow kit | eBay

Does this seem correct?

This is correct but Marshall (TrollHole) has passed his soft top business to a Partner named Julie. She is great to work with and her # is ‭1 (616) 450-0145‬. She makes the exact same product as Marshall and she also handles all repairs (have ripped mine three times on the trail). In adddition to the full soft top I got a Bimini style top and would recommend it as the full top even with the windows rolled up can get quite warm in the summer.

Manufactured 2/78. But looking at that auction, it doesn't mention any differences between years. I have been communicating with Julie, the woman who now handles all of the business, and she is going to mention manufacturing date differences to the company that makes the bows.

Should be pretty nifty.

In adddition to the full soft top I got a Bimini style top and would recommend it as the full top even with the windows rolled up can get quite warm in the summer.

This is why I've not ordered a factory one yet. I love driving with the Bimini and in 5 min. the windshield is down. The factory looks cool, but I'm still probably going to get a Besttop.

Bart,
I’m in the market for the same thing with rare earth magnets. Since you are doing the legwork on investigation, I may just piggy back an order along with you. Keep me posted on what you find out. Basically what I’m looking for is this photo.
B8CB37D2-7E44-4BC4-9212-0A19EB26649E.png

This is why I've not ordered a factory one yet. I love driving with the Bimini and in 5 min. the windshield is down. The factory looks cool, but I'm still probably going to get a Besttop.

Stock, I'm confused by your post. A bimini top uses the factory style bows. Are you referring to a bikini top, that uses the rollbar as the rear support?

For Sale - Assorted soft tops for sale - new prices!

Bimini.jpg

Last edited:
Bart,
I’m in the market for the same thing with rare earth magnets. Since you are doing the legwork on investigation, I may just piggy back an order along with you. Keep me posted on what you find out. Basically what I’m looking for is this photo. View attachment 1651454

Sounds good. It seems pretty straight forward--I'll get with you.

Bart -

Regarding the bows, I do not understand what Stump means by his comment. I don't believe there is a difference in the driver and passenger door B-pillar profiles on OEM style soft top bows so I think the Realsteel bows set will work fine. You do not have soft ambulance doors so you don't need to worry about the extra rear framework. Keep in mind that the bows can be adjusted and will require some fitment. The B-pillar sheetmetal piece has to be carefully positioned on the bow before locking it down in order to make sure the top is tight. I will be glad to help you with fitment. It requires trial and error.

Regarding hardware, you have a tailgate filler plate so you will have to buy 6 footman loops for the tailgate rear window flap tie-down straps. You will also have to purchase 4 more footman loops to go on the outside of the back corners of the tub )2 each side). These are for the hold down straps that anchor the back corners of the top. I do not believe the magnets work on the rear, but I could be mistaken. The only fasteners needed for the bow set are the nuts and bolts that hold down the feet on the rear bow and attach the top doorframe to the windshield frame. The rear C-pillar Realsteel bows attach in a different location than OEM so you do not need the tub side conduit-like clips.

Side anchors can be the magnetic battens or 14 twist-locks like OEM. You will want to make sure the top is tight and pulled all the way down before you install the grommets in the canvas for the twist locks. I bought stainless two-piece twist-lock grommets at West Marine and the 14 OEM twist-locks from Mark's Off Road, Cruiser Corps and Beno. They are pricey no matter where you get them.

The Realsteel bows kit comes with an OEM style track that mounts to the windshield frame. You will want two additional fasteners for the outside reinforced corners of the canvas top that covers the corner of the windshield frame. If you don't put a fastener there, you will get water coming in while underway. I have not yet installed them on mine.

Good info Jon. Many thanks.

Dad's truck has barn doors with the footman loops, so that should be a non-issue.

The gentleman who builds the bow set says the only difference is for pre-1966. What the difference is, I did not ask.

Last edited:
@StaleAle, there are indeed, differences in early vs late model doors and b pillars. The tread below says 1975 was the defining year, but it was something I thought was important to be aware of, in case the question arose during discussions with the bow manufacturer.
image.jpg

Here is a thread that discusses the differences in the angles of the doors and b pillar.
FJ40 soft top bow b-pillar hitting door frame

Last edited:
Good info Jon. Many thanks.

Dad's truck has barn doors with the footman loops, so that should be a non-issue.

The gentleman who builds the bow set says the only difference is for pre-1966. What the difference is, I did not ask.
Looks like you have your answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom