Aqualu Tub / Steel Hardtop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the process of refinishing doors on my 82 FJ40. It has an Aqualu tub and what I thought was an original hardtop. This photo shows the difference in the door jams. The doors match the tub, but not the hardtop. ???????? not sure how or if I can fix this without a lot of work. Or I'm I missing something here?
100_1247.jpg

Just looked at my 12/74 tub and hard top...Mine looks similar to yours except the door jam area of your hard top looks 'pushed in'. My hard top door jam lines up with the tubs door jam with the door striker in the void between the two jams.

Do you have posts on your top that fit down into the tub? Somehow it looks as if your hard top got bent or pushed in. If you have the posts and they fit into the tub then I don't know what you'd do to fix it other than get the best fit you can and then use oversized weather stripping to fill the gap. I can snap some pics of mine if it would help you at all to see the difference...

You just need to push the bottom edge of the hard top out more before you drill the holes and secure it.

Mark...

Weather stripping from SOR is rather large. But haven't had time to see if it does fill the gap. This is South Florida, 3" to 5" of rain every afternoon. Tired of getting soaked everyday.

It does have post that sit in the tub. Pics would be great. I thought about the top being pushed in, but it's exactly the same on the drivers side. ugh!

jayrodd said:
It does have post that sit in the tub. Pics would be great. I thought about the top being pushed in, but it's exactly the same on the drivers side. ugh!

Jayrodd,

I'll try to snap a few pics tonight when I get home. If you want high res pics though you'll need to PM me an email addy. I'm about out of my picture 'allowance' on MUD :frown: so what I post on here will probably be pretty small...Keep and eye out for them (unless someone beats me to it) and if they are too small for you to see the detail you need PM me an email addy and I'll send them out.

Did you cut the post

I assume you cut the post down so the tub does not push them in. I have that same tube on my 1980 with an OEM Soft-Top and had the same issue. I drilled tapped the inside piller so I could use a bolt to push the tubes out and hold it into place. Make sure the post are not hitting the tub in some way.
MJM

;)
jayrodd said:

Jayrodd,

Here you go...I think the pics will speak for themselves re: the difference in alignment between my tub/top and yours. Good luck and post back on how you fix it or what is causing your top to pitch in like it is...

I may need to delete these pics down the road so save them if you need them for reference

Last edited:
jayrodd said:

That just means that you need to push both sides out some. I've done a few of these tubs. It doesn't fit together like a laser cut jigsaw puzzle. There's always a little tweaking and fitting.

Mark...

I am having this exact same issue with fitting my hardtop with my Aqualu tub. The posts or rods from the hardtop push the hard top in on both sides which creates a gap and does not allow the doors to seal.

Any suggestions on how to address this?

I'm fitting my top to my aqualu tub for the first time and have the same issue. Has anyone had any luck resolving this? It's an older thread so I'm hoping some one can chime in. I like the idea of the bolt to push the pipe to the outside of the pocket, but I don't think that will still be enough. Mine is so off that there's not enough bolt flange to sill overlap at the front to even drill the mounting holes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm fitting my top to my aqualu tub for the first time and have the same issue. Has anyone had any luck resolving this? It's an older thread so I'm hoping some one can chime in. I like the idea of the bolt to push the pipe to the outside of the pocket, but I don't think that will still be enough. Mine is so off that there's not enough bolt flange to sill overlap at the front to even drill the mounting holes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What did you end up doing? What gasket did you use between the tub and the hardtop?

It seems the post is pushing my off by 1/4 inch, so I may have to cut the post completely off.

Also the lip in the back corner does pushes the top up in the back due to the back of the tub having the 45 degree piece of aluminum sticking out too far. Either I find a really thick gasket between the top and the tub, or I might grind the extra lip off in the back.

What did you end up doing? What gasket did you use between the tub and the hardtop?

It seems the post is pushing my off by 1/4 inch, so I may have to cut the post completely off.

Also the lip in the back corner does pushes the top up in the back due to the back of the tub having the 45 degree piece of aluminum sticking out too far. Either I find a really thick gasket between the top and the tub, or I might grind the extra lip off in the back.
I go into all that in my build thread if u want to look it's in the first link below fj60 axle in my 40 it's called.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't done anything with it. It was a hell of a summer and my 40 got no attention at all. Now that the temps are dropping, I'll be back in the garage more. I think I'll end up modifying the post for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom