Pickup vs. 100 series? (1 Viewer)

Full size pickup or 100 series cruiser?

• Pickup, the all around utility vehicle.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100 series you dummy.

Votes: 44 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a question that one or some of you may have an answer for. I'm looking at going from a full size pickup to a 100 (land cruiser or LX, possibly newer GX). Have any of you gone from pickup to SUV and if so what have been the downsides and upsides?

Currently I've got an extended cab, standard bed, duramax with close to 190k on it. I used it for towing for a while, honestly not enough to justify the diesel but I did like the mileage it gave me over the gas pickup and I don't even own a trailer anymore. It has been my primary exploring/camping vehicle because my 40 just isn't that fun to drive on the highway.

The truck has a camper shell on it that I sleep in and I'm sure I'm going to miss that along with the ease of storing any and everything I could need for any given adventure, but have always loved 100 series cruisers and figured I might give one a try.

What I want is a competent on road driver that can go off-road reliably, doesn't take a ton of costly maintenance and will carry enough people/stuff for a small family. It will be my primary utility vehicle so infrequent trips to the hardware store for house projects are a part of the equation to be considered as well.

Any feedback would be great, just trying to get some ideas of what compromises I might be making and if I'm heading in the right direction.

Last edited:
Had a supercharged 2010 Tundra prior to my 07LC, I miss it :D. It's definitely harder to get large items now, I solved that by getting a small trailer than I can keep in the backyard. I miss having the convenience of throwing stuff in the bed. I really miss the supercharger and the smile it put on my face daily.

But I haven't looked back, I absolutely love the LC. I'll always own a LC from now on, currently have 2 hundy's and plans to buy a 3rd LC the next few years once I narrow down what I'm looking for. FJ40, 42, 43, or a 60 is what I'll probably end up with...worst case I'll get an 80.

Last edited:
Had a 91 TLC. Still have 99 TLC and 07 4 door Tundra 2wd.
Tundra mileage ~ TLC ~12. Hauling & towing are similar. I hauled cows with TLC no problem. Both have about 190k now. I think both have plenty of room.Truck is somewhat easier to work on because TLC has had to replace bearings rods, steering rods. Some because of crazy son.

Biggest deal is the TLC drives sooooo smooth and handles like a sedan. Truck jerks and jumps at start. BUt I love both. I'd say how much do you want to haul, do you need 4WD, and what type of drive or ride feel do you want.One more thing toyota & lexus take decades to update some features. My 07 truck has same interior as '15 sequoia. And the TLCs dont change havent changed muchsince mine.. The GX has that goofy side door and I think they ask way too much for a model that doesn't get updated. My son just got a 13Runner but it rides rough and the seats comfort stinks. but a whole lot of room and updated tech stuff ( ibet they have more than the comparable GX inside). hOPE THIS HELPS.

I went from daily driving an F150 to daily driving a 2004 LX. I still have the F150, but my brother is the only one who has used it since I got the LX. Its such a different vehicle its hard to compare. The truck is absolutely a better work vehicle, but doesn't compare to daily drive-ability. Also, I don't see a comparison as an adventure rig, the 100 series wins hands down. It is more fun to drive, and definitely looks cooler imo. My truck is long paid for so ill keep it for various work around the house and to use as a loaner for my friends. As @planomateo said, a small trailer would bridge the gap between the two decently, but won't totally make up for the loss of the truck. Still an easy call for me.

I am not a fan of pick up trucks unless you tow a 5th wheel or goose neck trailer.
For hauling things I rent a trailer, cheaper than buying one. $20 for the day from U-Haul for a 5x10 and I don't have to store it, buy plates, repack wheel bearings or buy tires etc.

Drop the tailgate, fold down the seats and you can fit plenty in the Cruiser.
As far as reliability...hands down it'll outlast your Duramax without even breaking a sweat.

I like being able to throw stuff in the back and not have it get wet or snowed on.
It handles great in snow, off roads great. Parts are cheap.

it really depends on what you need to haul... do you do a lot of wood working? full size sheet goods (plywood and the like)...They aren't going to fit in the cruiser. Metal working? 10 ft sticks aren't going to fit in the cruiser.... otherwise, most of the stuff you need will fit. wood and metal is where I miss having a truck

That's actually a good point @Spike555, trailer registration in Texas (at least my county) is $55/year and they offer ZERO lifetime registration. It's BS!

The hassles of my owning a trailer outweigh the hassles of dealing with U-Haul at least for me. But the trailer registration really gets under my skin, highway robbery.

Hard to not vote for the 100.

Small family means you can ditch the 3 row and pile in the stuff. It’s not the huge truck bed take everything approach, but it’s alot if your not bringing 4 bikes and 4 kayaks.

“Try it you’ll like it”. It’s good off road and good highway balance is what they do really well.

...because my 40 just isn't that fun to drive on the highway.

Boo. I am so disappointed in you. Repent and maybe God will forgive your transgressions. If you're 40 isn't fun on the highway you're doing it wrong :p:steer::zilla:

Hard to not vote for the 100.

Small family means you can ditch the 3 row and pile in the stuff. It’s not the huge truck bed take everything approach, but it’s alot if your not bringing 4 bikes and 4 kayaks.

“Try it you’ll like it”. It’s good off road and good highway balance is what they do really well.

4 bikes on a 1upusa rack and 4 kayaks on the roof ;)

Thanks to everyone for the input. I think I just need to give the 100 a try. Worst case scenario is I decide I need a truck and reverse the decision (or give it to the wife?), but I don't think I'll have too many instances where a the cruiser can't fulfill what I need it to.

I look forward to getting more info from this section of mud as I get into it and find the right one for me.

Boo. I am so disappointed in you. Repent and maybe God will forgive your transgressions. If you're 40 isn't fun on the highway you're doing it wrong :p:steer::zilla:

I know... I love the 40 but it's pretty much stock (staying that way) and I've gotten so used to luxuries like being able to go the speed limit on the freeway.

Photo of it just for fun:
IMG_6898.JPG

I had a 2000 LC, sold it and bought a 04 2500HD, hated it, came back with a 04 LX. Ditch the truck if you're not towing and get a small trailer for home depot runs.

Last edited:
I have a 2001 Land Cruiser, and a 2017 Tundra. As a daily driver I would take the LC everyday. But I need a truck for some of the heavier hauling and towing that I do. Just depends on what you are using it for.

I sold my 2010 Tacoma double cab 4x4 to buy my 04 LC. I put over 100,000 miles on the Taco over 5 years...haven't missed it once since getting the LC.

I own a 2014 Tundra CrewMax and 98 LX. Both would work for your needs. I can drive either at any time, yet I always find myself driving the 100 unless I'm picking up large items from Lowes.

Make me pick one? Easy choice on the hundy. Big items be damned. I'll borrow my buddy's tundra and buy him beer. Btw he owns a tundra and 100 LC and he daily drives the 100.

I’ve had a few trucks, from an ‘85 Toyota Pickup, to a 90’s F150 and a 2004 Tacoma. The only time I needed a truck on a regular basis was when I built a house back in the 90’s. Otherwise the LX handles everything I need including a just beginning handyman service. If I need a truck I swap with a buddy who prefers to drive my LX anyway! I’m sure newer trucks ride and drive great, but I so rarely need a bed, it’s just not worth it. Unless you just want a truck...

That's actually a good point @Spike555, trailer registration in Texas (at least my county) is $55/year and they offer ZERO lifetime registration. It's BS!

The hassles of my owning a trailer outweigh the hassles of dealing with U-Haul at least for me. But the trailer registration really gets under my skin, highway robbery.

I have a permanent trailer plate, but no longer have a trailer and currently no place to store one, but that plate is like gold because you cannot get them anymore so I still have it.
I only need a trailer like twice a year so renting one is a win-win for me.

Until last month I had owned and daily driven trucks for the last 16 years (an F150 and three Tundras).

Was able to get into an 06 LX for roughly what I sold my 10 Tundra for and am very happy with the decision. Don’t miss having a truck at all.

The LX has soul and getting in it brings a smile to my face every time.

FYI, I register all my trailers in ME. Just registered the new horse trailer for $85 for 5 years. I use Haskell Registration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom