Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it’s grit in the needle, you can see it by pulling the access plug above the seat. The 14mm one. Sometimes all you have to do is tap on the end of the needle with something small like a paper clip wire.

If it’s grit in the needle, you can see it by pulling the access plug above the seat. The 14mm one. Sometimes all you have to do is tap on the end of the needle with something small like a paper clip wire.
I figured that was how to look at it. Any thoughts on what else would suddenly cause the bowl level to go all the way to the top? Other than grit in the needle?

I figured that was how to look at it. Any thoughts on what else would suddenly cause the bowl level to go all the way to the top? Other than grit in the needle?

54 year old brass float may not be floating.

Went out and pulled the carb top. Float seems fine, not full of fuel and moves freely. Gently blew through the needle jet with air, put it all back together. Will start it up and recheck tomorrow.

Float bowl level and carb function has returned to normal after last night’s time with the air nozzle.

Moving on...

Ashtray installed, using the unit from @cppilot plus the black handle from the remains of my original.

E38A70AD-7D41-4FEF-968C-91FE4E3A43A6.jpeg

Driver’s running board and turn signal hub from @pardion arrived today. The running board will be test fit within a few days, but is bare, blasted steel now, so won’t be permanent until after paint. But I did install the turn signal hub, and took it for a short drive. Signals cancel properly now. Yay! Another thing off the “does not work” list.

Actually, I think the only thing not working (at least somewhat) right now is the horn. The original metal case Denso relay has a bad coil, so I need to find a replacement relay that looks reasonable there.

859441B3-3FD1-46F6-830D-6A6F90C8756C.jpeg

Ashtray installed, using the unit from @cppilot plus the black handle from the remains of my original.

View attachment 1654113

Driver’s running board and turn signal hub from @pardion arrived today. The running board will be test fit within a few days, but is bare, blasted steel now, so won’t be permanent until after paint. But I did install the turn signal hub, and took it for a short drive. Signals cancel properly now. Yay! Another thing off the “does not work” list.

Actually, I think the only thing not working (at least somewhat) right now is the horn. The original metal case Denso relay has a bad coil, so I need to find a replacement relay that looks reasonable there.

View attachment 1654112
Did ash tray nobs change color? I wondered about this..

Did ash tray nobs change color? I wondered about this..
Don’t know. Mine is black, and so is the one that was on the ashtray Mark brought me. But his had one broken stud, and the nut on the other one was backed off and rusted solid. So swapping the knob with mine fixed it right up.

Since our last episode...

The second running board arrived. It is a bit rougher than the first, but that was disclosed from the beginning and it is as expected - solid and repairable. I’ve started straightening it out, and I’m sure it will be fine. Thanks, @whitey45 !

I also got a set of QuikHinges from @69LC to use in place of the FST door hinges since I was missing some of the body side parts. Really pleased with these hinges, nicely engineered and built. Got both doors hung now, the driver’s side is great, still a little adjusting to do on the right side.

Last, just tonight I got a hood spar from @HelloKitty65 - he knew I needed one, and had a chance to snag it for me. It’s a pretty nice one, better plating than most I’ve seen, and only one broken stud. It’s a nice addition to the rig.

FF6428D9-A862-4F56-B788-20EF62120311.jpeg
D974D996-7292-4A27-A9B3-14A94BFC513D.jpeg
DD419B22-99C8-4186-807A-346877F6A2CD.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, can’t get to picky when sourcing 50+ year old parts! Running boards lead a hard life! Glad it found a good happy home! Enjoying the updates!

Yeah, can’t get to picky when sourcing 50+ year old parts! Running boards lead a hard life! Glad it found a good happy home! Enjoying the updates!
Agreed, I don’t expect perfection for old parts like this. Good is good enough. Plus, my goal for this rig is not perfection either. I want it to look nice, and essentially original, but not so pristine that I or a future owner will be afraid to use it. So again, good is good enough.

@oregon fj, do you have an fj25? I’ve never had the Quik Hinges on one and didn’t know that they would work on those trucks.

Matthew
No, mine is an early ‘64 FJ40. Some of us early 40 owners hang out here in the 25 forum. There are a lot of similarities between them.

After failing to find a horn relay that would work on my rig w/o modification at 2 modern full service parts houses, I paid a visit to the old fashioned, same-family-owned-since-1960 non-computerized parts place across town. Went to the counter, showed my non-working Denso to the 2 women and 1 guy behind the counter, and said I needed an old fashioned 3 terminal horn relay with screw terminals, and if it was similar in shape and mounting, even better. All 3 looked at mine, and after a few seconds the man said, “Wells HR610.” One of the women walked down a back aisle, came back with this one. Works great, now both horns work!

5B6F6274-EE2D-40EA-B048-3BD999DFDCF3.jpeg

Excellent! One ordered. Can you make it clear which wire to which terminal? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom