Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whooo nice rotors! Little screw job there?

These 3rd gen Runners are prone to warping, thought I would give these a try before going to the expensive Tundra conversion. :hmm:

80 series - Oil change + transmission drain and fill.

GX470 - Oil change

Only one brake line to fab and i will be bleeding and testing the front disc brakes!!!
1520300267217284356693.jpg

Removed my broken avm hubs with a cut off wheel. Driver side hub gear came out in 6 pieces, passenger was intact. Replaced with Aisin HD.

20180305_093510.jpg

20180305_093255.jpg

Removed my broken avm hubs with a cut off wheel. Driver side hub gear came out in 6 pieces, passenger was intact. Replaced with Aisin HD.

View attachment 1647562

View attachment 1647563

What vehicle was this on? Watching videos yesterday seen a 80 series in Australia that had sheered the six studs off hub that had Aisin lockouts on it. Interesting watching the lockout spin and the wheel not moving. Besides which vehicle how was it setup, tires, engine, locker?

They were on my 80 series, less than 30k miles on them. It has lockers with 4.10 gears and 37s. I was trying to climb a very steep & loose hill when it failed.

As far as the video you saw most likely the studs were loose and allowed the hub gear to walk back and forth on the birf which sheared the studs. It's often overlooked when servicing the hubs, we just don't see it much here because all 80s are full time 4wd.

The 80 took my daughter and I out to do some shooting. All .22 stuff, used my first rifle which is a Browning lever action. A sweet shooting rifle for sure. For her first time she was doing well with her grouping at 30 yards.

0308181021.jpg
0308181022_HDR.jpg

While you could see others have cleaned up this spot before, we ended up gathering as much trash as we could fit in a large garbage bag before leaving. While the area wasn't too bad, it still astounds me on a few people being ok with leaving litter and trash where they shoot or camp. idjits!

Took the 80 in for a transmission flush at CBT.. Man it drives so much smoother!

And about a month ago, @richardlillard1 and I rebuilt the knuckles on my 80 (95% Rich, I just did the cleaning).. after 340K they decided to let loose!

seal1.jpg

seal2.jpg

seal3.jpg

seal4.jpg

seal5.jpg

2003 LX470 214K

Step 1, realizing that some things are just worth paying for
Step 2, drop off to Murf
Step 3, give list to service rep
Step 4, cry LOL (I am getting the club discount, this has saved me a lot overall, still not cheap)
  • Rear main seal, requires R&R trans
  • New ball joints, good news is I get new lower A arms and bushing with it, bad news is that is the only way to get ball joints :(
  • New front axles (complete) replacing the questionable and noisy aftermarket ones
  • New front axle end caps, at 214K the splines are getting warn
  • Re-grease front wheel bearings
  • New tie rod ends
  • Front end alignment
  • New heater T's, I actually did this before dropping off, how they did not break is beyond me, just touching them they disintegrated
This is a large investment but my intent is to have LX for many years to come.

The 80 took my daughter and I out to do some shooting. All .22 stuff, used my first rifle which is a Browning lever action. A sweet shooting rifle for sure. For her first time she was doing well with her grouping at 30 yards.

Awesome! Combine that with dirt bikes and it would make a cool southwest version of the Biathlon.:hmm:

For the upcoming relic run. Bought a quality (Astatic) Mic and Firestick antennae for the CB and got the SWR's dialed in under 1.5. Talked to a friend who lives about 3 miles away, and he said it sounded like I was sitting next to him.:cool:

Amazing things happened today. So I have been working on my brakes for some months now. Replaced the front axle drum brakes with 1987 fj40 disc brakes... Got some help from my wife's uncle from Canada who used to sell all sorts of auto parts. When I was trying to bleed the final setup of disc brakes all around, he mentioned that the brake peddle was still soft and went to the floor with little resistance . Then he listened to the master cylinder when I pushed on the brake peddle and said he knows what is happening... He said that brake fluid was passing by the first seal inside the mc. Turns out that after removing the mc and taking it apart it had some bad pitting where the seals made contact with the inner bore surface. Realizing the age and condition of the gm corvette master cylinder I got ahold of a new one, installed, blessed the brakes again and voila!!! SOLID BRAKE PEDDLE!

Finally got out for a quick over-nighter after doing some trailer modifications. Love the Southern Arizona skies

Also started to take apart the rear axle and removing the spider gears for an Aussie locker. Just waiting on new bearings and seals before putting whole thing back together.
It will be nice to get it out of the garage and on some trails...
20180318_165916.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom