'04 Tacoma Stock Height (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

96FZJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all -

My 04 Tacoma w/TRD package is just turning over 195k. I bought it at 118k just over 6 years ago. Far as I can tell from the service records I can find (basically mine plus Carfax plus Toyota Owners site) the shocks, leaf springs, coils have never been replaced (currently has Bilsteins which I believe were part of the TRD pkg - or stock in any case). To me, it looks like the leaf springs are done - but I've seen plenty on the various forums that would indicate "flat" is their normal state. I've inspected and do not see any cracks or excessive rust.

On the front end there's just about 1/2" - 3/4" space at the bump stop (same on both sides) which I would imagine there should surely be more space than that. Just can't seem to find anywhere that states what it is supposed to be. Assuming there is supposed to be more I believe that would indicate new coilovers are needed.

I'm thinking I need new leaf springs, new rear shocks and new coilovers up front but don't want to replace everything if things look like they are supposed to look. So I'm here asking anyone who might know what its supposed to be to offer their opinion (knowing full well what they say about opinions). Its a daily driver for my son going to school/work which rarely carries any load and even more rarely goes into 4WD (pretty much just to be tested and exercised). Pics are with no load - not even a driver. Appreciate any feedback.

20180213_194027 (Medium).jpg

ResizerImage927X695.jpg

ResizerImage635X846.jpg

Have you noticed hitting the bump stops during normal driving?

If those are the original shocks odds are they're toast at 195K.

If so I'd replace them, for safety's sake, and leave it at that.

As it's your son's DD there's no need to raise the COG until you're ready to let him start wheeling it.

As you said about opinions...there's mine. :)

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't noticed but not that I would in the limited time I spend driving it and usually just to listen for any odd noises my son wouldn't hear/notice as his most important mod is the radio. So its slow speed with head out the window listening or hi speed on the hiway watching the gauges.

I'm going to the do the shocks all around (I think Bilstein 4600) and the springs up front just to try to open that gap up some. Again, just doesn't seem correct at 1/2 - 3/4" (not based on any hard evidence however)...

Should be fine with just shocks all around.

I'm still trying to figure out whats stock height specs are.

Mine were less than a 1/2" on the front before new springs and shocks. Afterwards about 3/4 of an inch. Granted there was heavier springs, 120lbs bumper, and .5" lift involved.

My rear sits about an inch from the bump stop, and has a backward arch in them with a add-a-leaf installed. Empty.

Should be fine with just shocks all around.

I'm still trying to figure out whats stock height specs are.

Mine were less than a 1/2" on the front before new springs and shocks. Afterwards about 3/4 of an inch. Granted there was heavier springs, 120lbs bumper, and .5" lift involved.

My rear sits about an inch from the bump stop, and has a backward arch in them with a add-a-leaf installed. Empty.
well that's 2 of us in the 1/2 - 3/4 range...

If I do find something on the proper specs I'll post up here.

Those springs are saggy... It's definitely ridding lower than when it was new. The rear looks like they are a bit negative. Ride quality and such would be better with new springs but unless something broke or you are bouncing on the stops, hauling loads or wheelin' it you're probably going to be fine with just new shocks all around.

I think it is definitely lower than when it was new. Here's what I found for mine in the FSM. On the front, center of spindle should be 1.93" higher than center of adjusting cam bolt. On the rear, center of the forward leaf spring hanger bolt should be 1.54" higher than the axle shaft center. Finally! A target!

Bilsteins are a great choice or Old Man Emu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom