80s With Canoes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a 17' Grumman. Not sure any other specs on it
If it weighs 63 lbs, it's a lightweight. If it weighs 76, it a standard weight. Up where I live, we have a lot of lakes that you can get back into if you can carry the boats and the gear. Those lightweights are very desirable for a number of reasons.

Never mind, I see it's a Grumman. I got my badges mixed up. My Mom bought a 15' Grumman as a wedding gift for my Dad. It had the sailing rig, the motor mount and a nice little Evinrude 1 1/2 horse gas motor. Nice boat, but it wasn't getting used anymore. We sold the whole kit for $800 about 12 years ago.

Never mind, I see it's a Grumman. I got my badges mixed up. My Mom bought a 15' Grumman as a wedding gift for my Dad. It had the sailing rig, the motor mount and a nice little Evinrude 1 1/2 horse gas motor. Nice boat, but it wasn't getting used anymore. We sold the whole kit for $800 about 12 years ago.
I do have an old Pfleuger canoe trolling motor for it too. The way the kiddos paddle, I need to break it out

I do have an old Pfleuger canoe trolling motor for it too. The way the kiddos paddle, I need to break it out
Is that the same Pfleuger that made really nice fiberglass fishing rods? I have two Martin 6 horse all aluminum outboards for my little boat. Those were made by the same folks as the people that went on to become Presto home products. The motor tag says it was made in Eau Claire, WI by the National Pressure Cooker Factory. Lo and behold, some guy down in NE bought the whole factory and all of the parts are still available, even after 71 years.

If it weighs 63 lbs, it's a lightweight. If it weighs 76, it a standard weight. Up where I live, we have a lot of lakes that you can get back into if you can carry the boats and the gear. Those lightweights are very desirable for a number of reasons.

My Alumnacraft is the 76lb variety but I love it. ABS canoes have their place in whitewater, but for lake paddling, having a real keel makes all the difference. I will choose the aluminum over plastic almost every time.

16 ft Mad River on the '95 LC. 14 ft Mad River on the 2014 4Runner. Heading to Lake Jocassee, South Carolina.
IMG_9765.JPG

17’ (I think) alumnacraft

I typically need help getting it on, diy is def more difficult but not impossible

Four ratchet straps do the securing.

Only minimal adjustments necessary between SF and Cleveland.

0B6073A0-FE61-40BA-92D4-80BE2519C0D7.jpeg
D1392B23-E629-420C-B547-8782A81CD2D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Is there an easy way to tell with out using a scale?

Hey bud how do you like the sportspal? does it haul okay with the Inti rack? I have same rack.

It’s a great boat. Zero issues with it and only tipped it once. It’s a very stable boat. My son and I fish, standing up, in it quite a bit.

They aren’t cheap but they are worth the money.

I found an old canoe picture from last fall... just after I filled in the fender flare holes but before the new bumper.

Step 1

T0ORYEeh.jpg

Step 2

hYLg1hS.jpg

Step 3

KW1JGNRh.jpg

Nice polish on that thing! I have thought about cleaning mine up with some aluminum cleaner and getting new decals.

The truck box polish from Lowes works pretty good. I did mine with a buffing wheel and jeweler's rouge. Every couple of years I hit it with truck box polish to keep it looking nice. I have an old Airstream that I do the same with.

IMG_2622[1].JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom