DIY Fail -- OME 861/862 Springs installed on wrong side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saturday, I spent the day swapping out my saggy, worn out, 200k, OEM springs on my LX450 with OME 861/862 stock-height springs.

The springs were labeled A and B, as I had read they would be on Slee - OME Suspension Installation (Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser) and many other forum posts. I knew that the A springs went on the Australian drivers-side which is RHD. So, for some reason, I completely disregarded the myriad of tutorials and figured that the A-springs would need to go on the US drivers-side because they're the stiffer springs. Since the weight of the steering components and the driver-weight would cause the US LHD drivers-side to be heavier, I figured the AU driver-side springs should go on the US driver-side.

Well, obviously, I was very wrong and now my LX sits a little bit higher on the passenger-side.

My question is why? Is the RHD Australian driver-side still lighter than the LHD US drivers-side? Is the LH side of the FZJ80 still heavier regardless of which side the driver seat is?

I know I installed them incorrectly and I know it was stupid, so please refrain from telling me the obvious. I'm looking for answers as to why the left-hand side of the vehicle is the heavier side and why it's sagging.

before.jpeg
after.jpeg
AfterDrivers.JPG

Gas tank and driver are both on the left.

For future readers....
Simple rule that always works in the US market trucks is forget driver/pass side label and a and b label and just put the taller springs on the driver side.

My understanding is it has to do with the spring perch heights being different, not a vehicle weight issue.

Thanks for the responses everyone. As it sits, I have the A springs on the LH side and the B springs on the RH side, and I thought the A springs were supposed to be the stiffer/taller/stronger/whatever of the two.

Just so I have the correct understanding, the B springs are the taller springs that should have gone on the LH side (US driver-side) of my LX450?

I will also say that the unevenness is very slight, like maybe a 1/4" with a half tank and no one inside. I'm sure it's more-so while I'm in it and with a full-tank.

I did the same thing. Instead of swapping springs, I put a 1" spacer front and rear on the drivers side. Leveled it out and gained 1/2" more lift.

1” spacer resolved it to be completely level? Did you go with OME 861/862’s, too?

What are the possible negative side effects of going the spacer route rather than actually swapping to their correct sides?

People may accuse you of band aid solutions :D

Wait, did I read you are only off bye .25"?
If so just drive it.
Or you can just clock the coil a bit.
Clock meaning rotate it in the perch.

Last edited:
Wait, did I read you are only off bye .25"?
If so just drive it.
Or you can just clock the coil a bit.
Clock meaning rotate it the perch.

Yeah, it's not off by much when looking at it while not in the car. But I'm unsure how much it sags to the left while I'm in it (I weight 200lbs). I'll see if I can con a similar-statured stranger into sitting in my drivers seat for a few minutes while I test the angle haha.

1” spacer resolved it to be completely level? Did you go with OME 861/862’s, too?

What are the possible negative side effects of going the spacer route rather than actually swapping to their correct sides?

I didn't even realize they were different when I installed mine (and I looked at the tags again and they both have the same numbers so I don't know where the a and b are supposed to be). Mine seems to sit pretty level so maybe I got lucky and got it right. I'm not worried about 1/4" though.

Why don't you just do the job correctly? Who cares how it sits? All Cruisers lean. You should be concerned with whether or not it rides correctly.

Valid point. It rides fine and feels good. My problem with getting it corrected is that I don’t have access to the shop I did the work in for another 1.5 months so I was looking for alternatives until then.

After running my 861/862 set correctly for a while, I swapped the two sides.
I managed to reduce the height difference between the two sides and even get it a little higher than before.
Again, mine are used, not new.

So now my A spring is on the DS (US DS) or left side of the vehicle.
You can also use some spaces/trim packs to even it out a little.

But, don't worry. You will want to get a lift eventually and all this won't matter.

After running my 861/862 set correctly for a while, I swapped the two sides.
I managed to reduce the height difference between the two sides and even get it a little higher than before.
Again, mine are used, not new.

So now my A spring is on the DS (US DS) or left side of the vehicle.
You can also use some spaces/trim packs to even it out a little.

But, don't worry. You will want to get a lift eventually and all this won't matter.

Haha yeah I'm now wishing I would have gone a little higher than stock. We'll see. I'm going to start with a little leveling kit for now and will get them swapped correctly next month.

OME 850J/863J springs. I followed the instructions and put the taller springs on the right side. Unfortunately I did not realize that since the instructions were intended for vehicles "Down Under" where they drive on the wrong side of the road, I should have done it opposite of what the instructions said. It was leaning pretty bad. I did not measure how much, but it was very noticeable. I had the 1" spacers already and it was much easier to use them to make the left side springs 1/2" taller than the right side than it would be to swap all the springs around. In theory, adding 1" to the springs that were 1/2" shorter should be a net gain of 1/2" lift.

It now sits level, or at least looks level. Again I haven't measured it. That was over 1 1/2 years of daily driving ago with no ill effects, unless that's what caused the blown head gasket. Wait. Now that I think about it. That probably IS what caused it!

People may accuse you of band aid solutions :D

Haha that's actually a very valid reason not to go that route

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom