Learn Electrical Troubleshooting ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
Folks, I see a lot of people posting questions here and on Facebook looking for help on electrical issues. Ive decided to create a mini series starting with the basics - to help people learn HOW to find the problem.

In the beginning, I'm starting with the very basics, and will work through how basic circuits work and how to find the problem. Later I will get into specific circuits (using cruisers as examples) and how to locate and repair issues (permanently or temporarily to get home).

If you feel you have zero electrical knowledge and want to learn, have some knowledge but want more, or even feel pretty comfortable but want to learn some tricks, follow along through the series, and you might be surprised at what you pick up.

I've just uploaded the first episode, on the very beginning basics, but will have the next few uploaded over the next few days. I should be able to do pretty regular uploads and please, if you have questions or requests - post them in the video comments section, as others may have the same questions.

I have tried to keep the videos short so you only have a bit to retain each time - my hope is that it can help someone, at some point.

So - if you have 4 minutes and want to gain a better understanding - here is Episode 1

Great series, thanks for sharing !

Thank you, I always struggle with electrical troubleshooting. Great job on the videos and looking forward to following the series.

Thanks guys - plenty more to come! Will be a little more time until the next upload, I'm sure you can probably tell I shot those 3 together. Next few videos require a little more set up time !

Thanks guys - plenty more to come! Will be a little more time until the next upload, I'm sure you can probably tell I shot those 3 together. Next few videos require a little more set up time !
Can't wait until you do some on Cruiser examples, actually walking us through the multimeter and wires and working out the problem. This is extremely cool for me who is highly electrically challenged. Big thanks!

Well done!
In EP3, if you had touched the grounded part of the bulb, or the part it was grounded to, with your DMM on Volts, you would have seen 12V on the ground side, when your meter was referenced (black lead) to the battery minus. I often find problems by measuring what "should be ground, zero volts, with respect to the battery minus". Often it isn't zero volts. If you make a really long meter ground lead and always leave that on your battery minus, then take your meter and go looking at voltages, you will discover a lot of useful stuff. Nearly EVERYTHING is referenced to the battery minus. Like @MrMoMo says, it needs to complete the circuit, and that circuit includes everything on the way out and the way back (ground). If it isn't connected, it will "float" toward 12V. Your meter will see this.

Wow, thanks for the great responses guys - I'm glad I decided to do this. I've started building a demo circuit to match the one I had drawn on the white board - so soon I will be able to "show" some demos.

Thank you! I have a rough time with electronics. Very helpful. The work you put in is much appreciated.

Good idea this thread, conventional understanding is electricity flowing pos to neg, but it is the other way around, so without the DMM lead earthed, plenty of electrons floating around not sure what to do with themselves, so they just wander around annoying your meter.

Regards

Dave

Good idea this thread, conventional understanding is electricity flowing pos to neg, but it is the other way around, so without the DMM lead earthed, plenty of electrons floating around not sure what to do with themselves, so they just wander around annoying your meter.

Regards

Dave

Yup that's correct - but trying to keep things simple in the beginning to get the basics understood. We've a long way to go before confusing everyone (already having a tough time) by telling them everything they have learned is backwards. Just wait until we hit some salt water and learn to understand how ions flow and why that aluminum bumper is all pitted... ;)

Great videos, I’m a n00b as far as electronics are concerned. Looking forward upping my game.

:beer:

Well Done!

HAPPY FRIDAY everyone! Just uploaded Episode 4 - using a test light to find problems... Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom