1KZ breather question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the techies, can someone explain why the 1/2” breather tube on the 1KZ vents to the turbo inlet, rather than to the intake manifold (post IC) like the EGR.

What’s the benefit of compressing the blow-by gasses, gumming up the turbo and the intake?

My theory is that this facilitate gas removal because pressure in the turbo inlet is lower than under the valve cover, and thus creates suction.

Because there is no boost before the turbo, but is boost after. If the breather was connected after the turbo, it would end up blowing air into the crank case and pressurizing it to whatever the boost pressure is. Probably would start popping out oil seals and the like.

The early diesels just vented the crank case to atmosphere. The reason they started feeding them into the intake is for emissions compliance.

Just get a catch can to remove the oil mist from the crank case fumes. You can still vent it to the intake if you like, or to atmosphere.

Thank you! I really should have thought of that myself since the answer was in my question. If pre-turbo location creates suction, post turbo would have pressurized the engine block. I guess it's not an issue for the EGR because the valve only opens at idle when turbo is not on?

Thank you! I really should have thought of that myself since the answer was in my question. If pre-turbo location creates suction, post turbo would have pressurized the engine block. I guess it's not an issue for the EGR because the valve only opens at idle when turbo is not on?

Yes, I think you are right about the EGR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom