Building Initial First Aid Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this topic is of any interest, but thought I would share what I am doing to get my initial first aid kit built. I am pretty much following a guy who bought a similar first aid bag via Amazon and then proceeded to provide high resolution on how he supplemented it in the review he wrote (its the first one and one must expand to see the list).

I haven't gotten all of the drug store related meds and this point, but most of the supplies are on order.

Here is the base kit/bag:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I2RM3S/

Here is the first aid book I purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0988872536/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(cite: the list below is a straight copy/paste from the guy's review):

* (1) Poison/Venom Guide with Pics
* (6) 3"x3" Gauze dressing pads, (3) 2-pks
* (20) 4"x4" Gauze dressing pads, (10) 2-pks
* (25) Transparent Waterproof Band-Aids
* (1) Hydrogen Peroxide 16oz - Stop Bleeding
* (1) 12"x30" Multi-trauma dressing
* (2) Emergency pressure dressings
* (2) 4" Conforming gauze roll bandages
* (1) 6" Conforming gauze roll bandage
* (4) 36" Triangular sling/bandage, w/2 safety pins
* (24) Alcohol cleansing pads
* (12) Povidone-iodine infection control wipes
* (1) .5"x10 yd. Waterproof tape, plastic spool
* (2) 1"x10 yd. Waterproof tape, plastic spool
* (1) 3"x10 yd. Porous cloth athletic tape roll
* (2) 1"x10 yd. Porous cloth athletic tape roll
* (1) 4"x5" Instant cold compress
* (2) 6"x9" Instant cold compresses
* (1) Burn relief, 4 oz. plastic squeeze bottle
* (2) 2"X2.2yd Sterile Gauze Roll
* (8) Eye wash fluid (6-.68oz, 1-8oz, 1-4oz)
* (12) Dramamine - Motion Sickness
* (1) 24"x24" Biohazard bag, 10 gallon capacity
* (4) 10"x12" Ziploc bags
* (2) CPR one-way valve face shields, latex free
* (8) 52"x84" Emergency blanket
* (8) Exam quality vinyl gloves, 4 pairs
* (1) 7-1/4" Utility shears
* (1) 3-1/2" Deluxe tweezers, stainless steel
* (2) Benzocaine spray - Numbing Spray
* (1) Sterile surgical stapler with 35 staples
* (30) Steri-strips skin closures
* (1) Sterile surgical staple remover tool
* (50) Assorted fabric band aids
* (12) Sudafed - Nasal Decongestion
* (12) Advil - anti-inflammatory
* (25) Aleve - anti-inflammatory/pain relief
* (4) Gas-X Strips - Gas and Bloating
* (12) Tylenol PM - pain medication
* (1) Neosporin - heal fast/reduce scars
* (1) Methylate Antiseptic - Infection Control
* (2) Iodine Tincture Antiseptic - infection control
* (1) Hydrocortisone Cream - Itchiness
* (10) Ammonia Inhalant
* (5) Bee Sting Swabs
* (1) Surgical Scissors
* (2) Orajel
* (2) Forceps
* (2) Curved tip Oral Syringe
* (90) Blood Lancet
* (1) 4-Way Nasal Spray
* (1) Stethoscope
* (1) Blood pressure cuff
* (1) Neuro-Penlight
* (1) Neuro knee tapper
* (1) Hand sanitizer
* (4) Scalpels
* (1) Snake Bite Kit with pump
* (1) Cotton Balls
* (1) Lotramin spray
* (1) Quick clot sponge
* (40) Advil Migraine
* (6) Finger splint
* (3) Aluminum Splint
* (8) DenTemp
* (1) Digital Thermometer
* (1) Visine - Dry Eyes
* (1) Chap stick - Dry Lips
* (1) Floss
* (13) Cotton Swabs
* (30) Q-tips
* (6) Cottonelle Wipes
* (10) X-Large Band-Aids
* (1) Ear Drops - Ear Aches
* (1) Ring Relief - Ringing Ears
* (10) Ibuprofen - Pain/Fever
* (42) Prilosec - Heart Burn
* (2) Surgical Mask
* (1) Alcohol 16oz
* (1) Eye Patch
* (36) Tums - Upset Stomach
* (1) Lotramin - Fungicide
* (25) Mickey Mouse Band-Aids
* (2) Suture Kit
* (1) Toothache kit
* (10) Tongue depressors
* (2) Oral airway kit
* (3) Light Sticks
* (1) Swiss Army Knife
* (1) Angiocatheter
* (3) Steril needles
* (1) 1cc syringe /w needle
* (1) 3ml Luer Lok
* (1) Nylon suture
* (2) 1 X 18 Tourniquet
* (1) ReCapIt
* (25) Breathe Right Strips
* (25) Knuck/fing Bandaids
* (10) Imodium AD
* (40) Nitrile Gloves
* (10) Wet Ones
* (10) Sunblock spf30
* (10) Insect Repellant
* (10) Hand Warmers
* (10) Nail Files
* (1) Toothbrush
* (1) Sensodyne Toothpaste
* (10) DayQuill/NyQuil caps
* (2) Bandanas
* (1) Radiation Detector
* (2) Chinese Patch
* (75) Floss Picks
* (1) 6"X6" Adhesive Pad
* (4) Sterile eye pads
* (10) Large Adhesive pads
* (10) 3"X4" non-stick pads
* (6) 8"X4" adhesive WtrPrf
* (1) Albuterol Inhaler (new)
* (12) Allegra
* (1) Dental Scraping Set
* (1) Tiger Balm
* (10) Cottonelle wipes
* (1) Voltaren Gel
* (10) Excedrin Migraine
* (20) Piroxicam
* (4) Super Glue
* (2) emergency water pack
* (1) Benadryl Cream - Allergic Reaction
* (1) Benadryl Spray - Poison Ivy
* (1) Anbesol - Cold Sore/Canker Sore
* (10) 3"x5 yd. Latex free elastic bandages
* (20) 6" Steril Q-tips
* (2) Epipen (Adrenalin for anaphylactic allergic reaction)
* (1) Tape Measure
* (1) Cortisone 10 - anti itch
* (3) 5"x9" Trauma pads
* (2) 8"x10" Trauma pads
* (1) First aid guide
* (1) Eye wash cup
* (42) Iodide tablets

The total cost for the additional supplies I have purchased is around $400. I think with the meds, it should end up being $600 total in addition to the base kit. I'll let you know the final weight once it is complete.

I hope I never need most of this stuff. Have confidence that if you are wheeling with me, I've got a good back up kit to supplement your own kit. Be safe!

Land Cruiser Larry

dude! out of curiosity, are you a doctor? I have to ask, because if not, you don't need some of that stuff because you can't use it (suture kit, staple kit, etc). most of the rest you don't need and is a waste of money to carry. a toothache kit? don't know how much of his list you intent to carry.

the late Cy Stockoff taught a wilderness first aid class to the club a few years ago. he had some great equipment suggestions. I am a paramedic here in town and I picked up 1 or 2 of Cy's ideas. I carry a larger pack than most here and mine is half the size or less of that one in your post. and I carry some meds and stuff not even on that list. if you would like, I'll list what I carry.

if you are a medical professional, then you already know what you are doing, don't need help sorting it out and can disregard my comments. :D

I am not a doctor but I did have a good night sleep at a holiday inn recently (ha!).

No I am not a med pro and I didn't get the staple gun and that stuff. I did get the steri-strips but frankly have never used them. I probably did get some stuff that I won't need or may just get me in trouble. For instance, the tourniquet I got needs training/instructions to use - so there you go. I really focused more on the bandages/ice packs, emergency blankets, good snake bite and the sort. I will probably go very basic on the OTC meds.

As I get older, I just freak out at the thought of somebody's bone sticking out of the side of there leg 20 miles from the nearest cell phone signal and not being prepared. A first aid course is probably a good thing for me to think about.

I think the prepper in me may have gotten out of hand on this one. I would welcome seeing your list and having you vet my kit if you want.

:D didn't want to step on any toes. even among professionals there's a range of what people think is necessary. I'll have to post what I have when I get home and can look through the pack again. steri strips are perfect. I've used those on myself and never got the stitches I probably should have with no issues and no worse of a scar(after a good cleaning). sounds like you are getting very good common sense stuff. much of the bandage stuff can do double duty so you don't have to over stuff your bag. the list from Amazon you posted is so far over the top it's just crazy.
the tourniquet can be a good thing. easier to use than you might think. for sure take it out and study/practice with it.

you are welcome to schedule a day to come by my fire station for some instruction/practice with 1st aid and your equipment. I extend that to anyone here that wants to learn some or refresh what Cy taught. I don't have the super organized ready made class, but I can put something together.

Post #25 in this thread sums up my thoughts on the subject: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/we-need-first-aid-training.349836/page-2

Almost 5 years later and I can't say I would change anything.

Stay away from the snake venom kits. None will help and if you start cutting on yourself things get stupid in a hurry. For North American snake bites, wash the wound, then go for help by either calling via Ham, or drive out and call for help. If it is a poisonous bite you'll know soon after. If it doesn't swell, turn red, and hurt like hell then you just got lucky and will be fine with just regular wound cleaning and care.

there you go! and trout runner IS a Dr. that is where I was heading with my guidance. my pack has gotten smaller as the years go on and is a lot of just comfort for bouncing around in the truck to get out and minor to moderate wound care. bleeding control is maybe the only life saving thing in it and doubles as wound care.

Thanks for making me feel like the kits I carry in my vehicles are exceptionally inadequate. Although, I have been wanting to add some sort of tourniquet like the SOF Tactical tourniquet: SOF Tourniquet

I've never had to use a tourniquet and hope that I never do. But I'd like to have something more useful than a belt, t-shirt or tie-down strap to get the job done if the need ever arises.

here is my kit. first pic is my old bag (orange) and the new one (green). I've down sized a bunch. no longer carry all the airway and IV stuff. I have a small ziplock with a couple airway things I can throw in, but would be of no use to you as they are Paramedic stuff.

DSCF1012.JPG

next is what is inside the bag. a trauma dressing, 3- 4x4 gauze, 2- 5x9 dressings, 1 stretch roller gauze, 1 non-stretch roll of gauze, a triangular bandage, a vaseline dressing(for a lung penetrating injury), 1" tape, 2" tape, a tourniquet, a compression dressing(green bag at the bottom), tweezers, trauma shears(scissors), ace wrap, a SAM splint(orange), band aides, calstat(blue alcohol gel), a pocket mask(only because it's small and I have one :D). for meds, I have some benadryl, epi(because I can), ibuprofen and that's it.

DSCF1013.JPG

... a compression dressing(green bag at the bottom)

Same as the Israeli trauma bandage Cy told us about? I still need to get me a few of those for my kit.

I'm sure glad you medical pros chimed in. That list made my head spin.

Cy actually gave me that one and yes the exact one-"Israeli trauma bandage". you can get by with the 4x4's and 5x9's and the roller gauze to do almost as good of a job. that bandage just gives something to tighten it all down with. forgot the steri-strips. they are in my backpacking kit from this summer. it is WAY smaller and lighter (about 8oz).

Graham, how does that looks to you? I can always get more ideas and improve myself.

Looks good to me, it's more than I carry. If your with me your getting wrapped in a shirt.:doh:

I think focusing on bleeding control is the best bet. Everything else is fun and if you like doing it then do it. The Isreali bandage is nice but I'd get Marc's choice for a tourniquet.

Contrary to Boy Scout training where tourniquets were a last result due to death of distal limb, that's been proven wrong. If you got bleeding, direct pressure, don't use a wad of gauze, use one 4x4 and stick your fingers directly into the would and press where it is bleeding, hold it and don't check it for at least 15 minutes. Guilty pleasure, right?

If the would is massive, or your missing most or some of a limb put that tourniquet on. If that still doesn't work, put another one on, repeat til you got it. Elevate it. Find a way to make it stop, keep squeezing proximal and don't undo your work.

Adding QuickClot may be an easy and simple addition to the kit. Could help on a smaller wound that keeps oozing but doesn't need the tourniquet.

I still like the benadryl, ibuprofen, roids/inhalers fir those who need it.

I like the CPR Face Shield also.

THanks for chiming in, because I keep it very small, basically bandages, antiseptic spray/tube. The only reason I carry medications are for my own usual need due to allergies or for symptoms of allergies (decongestant, ibuprofen, inhaler etc).

And when all else fails, its gonna be a tshirt, and lots of duct tape.

I'm no doctor or paramedic, so I always plan for the most common things that will occur, bandages, gauze, and antiseptic, to cover most of your basic-medium issues that aren't life threatening. If its a life-threatening situation, I don't think my help will hinder on my supplies.

That said, I think all of you missed out on some of the most obvious stuff that I carry whenever I travel, whether in the backwoods or to a hotel: s***/Stomach problems. I always carry something to stop me up, or help with stomach issues, such as Loperamide, Pepto, and Tums. It will likely not kill ya, but if you get diarrhea in the backwoods, and you have drive or walk out, it's going to be a damn miserable time, and even worse if you dehydrate along with it.

you missed out on some of the most obvious stuff that I carry whenever I travel, whether in the backwoods or to a hotel: s***/Stomach problems. I always carry something to stop me up, or help with stomach issues, such as Loperamide, Pepto, and Tums.

Included & available separately: Medications w/ Medication Organizer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom