Builds Pappy's 3RZ-FE Transplant Adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
crop2.jpg

crop1.jpg

I guess the final remnant of my old DOA engine finally gave up. There is a new cylinder head in my future.

V6 swap

Still planning on a 3RZ. I just need to keep the truck running until I can find an engine and do the swap.

Sad! These old girls sure like to torment us.
I MIGHT have a head, or know someone that does.... lemeno if you need.
Oh, and I'll give you $500 for it right where it sits if your done with it :rofl:

Oh, and I'll give you $500 for it right where it sits if your done with it :rofl:

You're funny Grant. That's less than what I gave you for the rear bumper. Thanks for the offer. I'm gonna call LCE and get a new casting ... though the cheap bastard in me is tempted.

Sad! These old girls sure like to torment us.
I MIGHT have a head, or know someone that does.... lemeno if you need.:rofl:
If you know somebody that has an extra rocker arm assembly, I could use one of those. That way I could install the new rockers ahead of time and not have the downtime after I pull my head.

Bummer to hear that news, but maybe this just moves up the timeline for the install of the 3RZ - once it's in there, you'll be wondering why you waited so long!

Ya, it bumped up the 3RZ a lot. I did order a new head from LC Engineering. I'm going to the boneyard tomorrow to look around.

I've been saying it. A 3RZ-FE is in my future, and it's been elevated on my list. Today, I went and looked at a donor and tried to purchase just the ECM. Jack arses at the boneyard wouldn't sell me the ECM unless I bought the whole engine. So I said "show me the engine." Sucked. Heavy front damage to the truck. Damage to thermostat housing, water pump, air box, fan and clutch, the emission box (charcoal canister), air tube to throttle body. Some of this stuff I can source at the U-Pull.

They are going to pull the engine so I can see the front end damage. Accessories were OK. Questions are the timing cover (cracked by the water pump impact?), and crank pulley. If they can't sell the engine, then they will sell me the ECM a la carte.

Four Js 1998 4Runner (1).jpg

Wow, that one took quite a hit to the driver's front corner.

Ya, battery is not where it belongs. Truck was very rolled. I'm hoping enough survived.

I own that engine. Not the best donor (lots of damage), but it was available, and it was exactly what I wanted. I will pick it up on Monday with the help of Mikie and his Tacoma.

The donor was a 1998 4Runner, 2WD, manual transmission (perfect!). There are three versions of the 3RZ-FE. Ver1 was 1995-97ish with a distributor and a single coil. Ver2 was late 1997-2000ish with two coils, no distributor. Ver3 was 2001-2004 and was coil-on-plug. Some, if not all, Ver3 came with two catalytic converters. While a 4-coil engine would be sweet, I didn't want to deal with dual cats. The Ver2 was a compromise, though, really not. Besides, this was the first 3RZ-FE I've seen in a boneyard, at least complete. Several 2RZ-FEs have historically been at the U-Pull. But, why go 2.4L when I can go 2.7L?

So, let the adventure begin. Due to budget I expect this project to take about a year.

A little tidbit. There were 21 engine computer part numbers from 1998-2000, including 2RZ and 3RZ, MT and AT, 4Runner and Tacoma, 2WD and 4WD. And, of course the California flavors.

I am possibly available Monday to. though I will be registering and insuring the new 300zx that day too.

Following this with great expectation!

I am possibly available Monday to. though I will be registering and insuring the new 300zx that day too.
Hey Shawn, congrats on the 15 year pin.
bionic.jpg

A little bit about this engine. It came from a 1998 4Runner with about 250K miles. The truck had never been serviced at a Toyota dealer. It was involved in a nasty front end collision. There was lots of damage to the engine, but nothing I can't deal with. Damage, that I know of after seeing the engine hanging:
  • Alternator was broken off the mount. I think the mount is OK, but I won't know until I get the engine cleaned up a bit. The adjuster was destroyed.
  • Charcoal canister was destroyed.
  • Thermostat housing is busted into three pieces.
  • Timing cover is cracked.
  • Water pump? What water pump?
  • Jury is out on the crank pulley. The AC and PS pulleys are bent, but from my pics it looks like the main pulley might be straight. I think the AC/PS pulleys from a 3.4L V6 are the same and they are bolt on.
  • Oil pan was bashed. Not a big deal since I need to replace it anyways with a rear-sump pan from a T100.
  • The engine harness was pinched between the engine and the firewall. There were a few broken wires.
The only accessory I kept was the PS pump. The pulley has a slight wobble.

I found a thermostat housing at the U-Pull.
I failed at finding a boneyard timing cover, so I ordered an AISIN timing cover from Rock Auto. The AISIN was cheaper than the other aftermarket covers. Go figure.

that's funny. I never look at those stats and didn't notice.

Let me start by thanking Mike, Shawn, and Brock for the immense help. I really need to take a shower, but I will post up one pic to cut down on
worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Let the adventure begin.

Engine before cutting.jpg

Last edited:
Exhaust manifold. Cracking is a known issue. Solution is the manifold used on 2001+ trucks that looks like a mini-header.

exhaust manifold.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom