LCXC 2018: Baja! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think Mark is closer to the border but it shouldn't matter either way, we're both w/in 30 mins of it. And on a Saturday morning should be no traffic. I'm northeast-ish (Rancho Bernardo, CA), so it sorta of depends where everyone is coming from too. I'm on a cul de sac we can use to stage and peeps can use the house for final s***s/showers/shaves if they'd like. I'd offer up coming in the night prior too but have two buddies coming in town taking up most of the crashing space. But if Mark's offering we can always meet down there too, a quick jump across the border.

T (or anyone else for that matter) if you get in early on 23rd and want to grab dinner/drinks hit me up, I could also host a bbq at my place since my buddies are getting in town that day and we'll do some eating/drinking/final prepping anyway.

I vote for Zack’s place to meet up. Sounds like he’s got a good spot for it. Rancho Bernardo isn’t far from me.

I think Mark is closer to the border but it shouldn't matter either way, we're both w/in 30 mins of it. And on a Saturday morning should be no traffic. I'm northeast-ish (Rancho Bernardo, CA), so it sorta of depends where everyone is coming from too. I'm on a cul de sac we can use to stage and peeps can use the house for final s***s/showers/shaves if they'd like. I'd offer up coming in the night prior too but have two buddies coming in town taking up most of the crashing space. But if Mark's offering we can always meet down there too, a quick jump across the border.

T (or anyone else for that matter) if you get in early on 23rd and want to grab dinner/drinks hit me up, I could also host a bbq at my place since my buddies are getting in town that day and we'll do some eating/drinking/final prepping anyway.

Sounds good! I'll snag a hotel in the Rancho Bernardo, CA area.
Looks like there are a few decent ones in the area.

Ya, Rancho Bernardo is also right on your I-15 South route too...so no detour from Vegas.

If you want nice go w/ RB Inn. If you want decent yes there are a few others in the area.

Correct I'm less than .5mi off route 15.

I looked this weekend and found that my FRS/GMRS radios have not been registered in Mexico (CFT or whatever the agency is), which could be a problem if a police officer is having a bad day. It may make sense to order a bunch of handheld FRS/GMRS radios from Mexico or to pick some up after crossing the border. It's one of those things that probabilistically shouldn't be a problem but the risk may be worth mitigating. I'll see if I can find appropriate radios stateside.

I'll still have my ham radios in case we need them because it's always legal to operate in emergency situations. I will stash the mobile transceiver most of the time, though.

In other comms news, I should be able to receive sat phone calls anywhere. I'll share my number with folks closer to the trip as your families would be welcome to use it if there's something urgent.

I'm still planning on bringing mine. Only issue will be charging as the chargers don't secure the handheld very well.
They should last all day, hopefully. The advertisement says 8 hour battery life.
I'll buy another set of batteries, they're only $25 for 6.

Edit: Larger 20 hour batteries are the same price, ordered!

Last edited:
The weeks will go by quickly so I've started the final countdown on my end starting with loading most of my gear for a quick trip to the local 4wd park. I also added a section at the bottom of our document to take inventory on spare parts/fluids we're taking just so we don't go nuts.

IMG_0488.jpg

Just returned from one of my favorite spots at the top of the Sea of Cortez.(see attached map) Again there are some amazing places in Mexico without going far.

jfzXjw218lBISh20Z1ioVQ99YBvHiPByurQc0BuoANOvBVF6X3kFSl09VmgbVyBWo1yPbKRJ8UaY5HYsURXQhNKtmCzBgJlO8zyU5wblidJS9KLkeotKmfTaShyMNdTROxU_5rasBLY0c26dEvhi1LWrpShv73ZPb5RXJZpl9TD5DDNZDicM9F3ikfVM4N4cS0QS33YrAPLkmoff9JrKmiKWyKPBG2TqkjQV64gG30kRgaKboYuVa-tcfqzRfbfbuKZsaHCdtEnSjT4o55oXoqbENxWHWSXmLJiTRf8B_TPTv69slInhI8iOXyJCulu_NWALuRQMLq6VESpIksvasve5sTbmh_tkW03e4uQ2O-yKVODRjYlB0x0LzTXHr45W2YOGCC1CSjVUzzExr9WR4loL7N9jnGx-y_D1UDsxMBwIh6XERpfkKKQn-mskRf1CyAExblg5rolUdSMO2OQ3vTVcIcyu4g8_y6Gaos2G7EDrqe7NYrt-pB5aG-YAC9HDe8ZXogwbaSjgov4kttG2i-L-HFwrPxiU_3C5v4y9Z7Xm-G9bfr8mDsyb7vGbmnt4NiKdzk0-TeCYcRr12kbevVJT-bqNoB_KLaGD7KVt=w1194-h896-no

In a couple weeks I will be heading down Baja for a week. First stop will be Guadalape Canyon Oasis for a few days and then down to Gonzaga Bay. Keeping it simple.....

Attachments

• Topo Map, Hiking Trails, Satellite Map.pdf
    296.8 KB · Views: 73
Just returned from one of my favorite spots at the top of the Sea of Cortez.(see attached map) Again there are some amazing places in Mexico without going far.

jfzXjw218lBISh20Z1ioVQ99YBvHiPByurQc0BuoANOvBVF6X3kFSl09VmgbVyBWo1yPbKRJ8UaY5HYsURXQhNKtmCzBgJlO8zyU5wblidJS9KLkeotKmfTaShyMNdTROxU_5rasBLY0c26dEvhi1LWrpShv73ZPb5RXJZpl9TD5DDNZDicM9F3ikfVM4N4cS0QS33YrAPLkmoff9JrKmiKWyKPBG2TqkjQV64gG30kRgaKboYuVa-tcfqzRfbfbuKZsaHCdtEnSjT4o55oXoqbENxWHWSXmLJiTRf8B_TPTv69slInhI8iOXyJCulu_NWALuRQMLq6VESpIksvasve5sTbmh_tkW03e4uQ2O-yKVODRjYlB0x0LzTXHr45W2YOGCC1CSjVUzzExr9WR4loL7N9jnGx-y_D1UDsxMBwIh6XERpfkKKQn-mskRf1CyAExblg5rolUdSMO2OQ3vTVcIcyu4g8_y6Gaos2G7EDrqe7NYrt-pB5aG-YAC9HDe8ZXogwbaSjgov4kttG2i-L-HFwrPxiU_3C5v4y9Z7Xm-G9bfr8mDsyb7vGbmnt4NiKdzk0-TeCYcRr12kbevVJT-bqNoB_KLaGD7KVt=w1194-h896-no

In a couple weeks I will be heading down Baja for a week. First stop will be Guadalape Canyon Oasis for a few days and then down to Gonzaga Bay. Keeping it simple.....

Nice! If we can score a couple camp spots like that, I'll be stoked.

Nice! If we can score a couple camp spots like that, I'll be stoked.

Do your research but if it was easy everyone would be there. Note the pictured spot will be covered with water in a couple hours. Keep in mind the Sea of Cortez has the highest tide change in the world, sometimes as much as 20'+.

good luck on your trip guys. I'm in Cabo if you make it all the way down, hit me up, I'll show you around. Don't overdo the planning and instead enjoy the ride. My 75 year old american neighbors do that trip up and down the baja all the way to Colorado every single year, and have been doing so for the last 15 years since they retired and permanently moved over here. Remember, it's the journey that matters, not the destination.

I look forward to floating away in the middle of the night in my OzTent

Just make sure your drone captures it as we float away.

Will be awesome at Memorial Service slide shows. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom