Does the GX470 have a 4Runner equivalent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

V8 4th gen 4Runner was available with a 3rd row but is a true unicorn. I was looking for one when i kept seeing GX470s with everything i need. I have 4 kids and need that 3rd row. Would love that roll down rear window but GX much nicer. Was cheaper and better condition than most 4Runners I found.

I got a 4th gen, v8, and for my 16 year old. Matches my 2003 gx

Agreed Bluetribal, I'm just trying to make sure I know all I can going in. I like the 4Runner weighing less but honestly that's about it. the head room, interior and space, and value all add up better as there's more to choose from when shopping as well. All aftermarket is about the same cost wise, so no advantage of one over the other there to consider. The nav thing doesn't worry me too much, but it'd be great to fine out w/o. It'll boil down to 470 or a 460 if I want to spend that much. Towing isn't a factor for me. Not much price difference between pre 14's with old body style and 14'+ with the huge low front bumper.

My first 80 series was a 97 lx450. I picked up 97 LC a year or so ago. on the LC, the doors and quarters sound thin and tinny. Its the same sheet metal, but the lexus has a bunch of sound deadening from the factory. The LX doors close with a solid thud, while the LC doors sound like my 1st gen 4r. Id imagine the GX to 4r comparison would be similar. I honestly dont feel the extra weight in it. I was looking at an lx470, which is 500-1000 lbs heavier than the gx with the same drivetrain. Coming from two 80s and a 22re 4r, the gx is like driving a sports car. LOL . Id probably get in major trouble if i had a 460.

The 3rd row on the gx removes by a simple press of the release buttons on the side. No bolts, no tools.

The only thing that the 4Runner has over the GX is the looks (for most).
Blasphemy! Haha. My neighbor has a beautiful blue (Nautical I think) 4Runner Limited and while it does look good, it doesn't hold a candle to the GX. I love the tall and skinny look of the GX though. However, I'd sell a kidney to lose the barn door. Worst design ever.

Barn door is rubbish, and it would have been great if the rear side windows were power like a minivan so you could crack them open from the driver's seat.

Blasphemy! Haha. My neighbor has a beautiful blue (Nautical I think) 4Runner Limited and while it does look good, it doesn't hold a candle to the GX. I love the tall and skinny look of the GX though. However, I'd sell a kidney to lose the barn door. Worst design ever.

I love the looks of the GX except for the directly behind shot. It’s just got no booty :p

And the 4Runner just has that bad ass tough looking front end.

it would have been great if the rear side windows were power like a minivan so you could crack them open from the driver's seat.
Yes. My parents had a 1990 Plymouth Voyager (not even the Grand Voyager) with power 3rd row windows. Blows my mind that a 2008 Lexus doesn't.

I honestly have never seen a GX470 w/o nav ever, except in pictures. True unicorns.

I must be very lucky, first one I drove had no navigation.

GX_no_nav.png

Marvelous find right there, on autotrader doing a nationwide search, only a few don't have it.

6EB2D6E3-B933-43DA-AA30-6013E85EC4E6.jpeg
Barn door is rubbish, and it would have been great if the rear side windows were power like a minivan so you could crack them open from the driver's seat.

There’s one benefit to the single barn door...you can carry a trasharoo bag without the need for a rear spare.

I'm sure the GX is nicer, better fit and quality. I don't find the 4Runner loud, but anything quieter would be better. Luckily I never drove one before finding a clean 04 V8 Limited 4Runner a little over a year ago for just under 7k. I like the looks and austerity of the 4Runner. IF I regret anything, I wish I'd realized the VVT-i addition and HP boost starting in 05. Oh well, the truck still has some pep and works well as a weekend vacation vehicle.

The frame and drivetrain are where the similarities end for these two vehicles.
The body and interior are completely different - not like the LX470 vs 100 series differences.

We test drove a few 4Runners and decided they were too small for our family of 5. As soon as I got into the first GX I knew I had found the right model to suit us, and I had once again dodged the minivan bullet :rofl:

I like the rear door. Nice with a canoe on top to be able to open wide for gear access. Lift gates end up partially open and resting against the canoe. I also find it easier to open to throw a gym bag in the back quick.

I like the rear door. Nice with a canoe on top to be able to open wide for gear access. Lift gates end up partially open and resting against the canoe. I also find it easier to open to throw a gym bag in the back quick.

It opens up towards the curb FFS! They could have at least reversed the hinges for the North American market when they re-used the Prado body.

For SHORTER people, the rear door in a plus (wife is 5'1"). However, due to the increased cabin height, the sunvisors (all 4) are not usable.

It opens up towards the curb FFS! They could have at least reversed the hinges for the North American market when they re-used the Prado body.

I actually like the way it opens. Easy access from driver side. I live in the midwest so only time i have to parallel park is at the bar downtown. Lol

I took mine all apart, cleaned it, and applied liberal amounts of grease. Now it sounds like a Yugo door with just dirt in it. :bang:

I wonder if a new door stop mechanism would fix the problem, or it they were that gritty feeling when new?

I took mine all apart, cleaned it, and applied liberal amounts of grease. Now it sounds like a Yugo door with just dirt in it. :bang:

I wonder if a new door stop mechanism would fix the problem, or it they were that gritty feeling when new?

Good question to ask one of the guys that has replaced it with a strut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom