• Trail Tailor

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Build your own

Votes: 23 16.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would you consider shipping them? Interested depending on price but I’m in WA state so shipping is probably an issue.
I will ship them, but I guess it will be very expensive...$100 or more each they are big and heavy

I will ship them, but I guess it will be very expensive...$100 or more each they are big and heavy
One suggestion I might offer, you could look into using Greyhound to ship them. I shipped a rear bumper that I built from Utah to Virginia and it was very reasonable (like $40-ish IIRC). It just means it would need to be picked up at a Greyhound station rather than being delivered to someones residence or business.

I like my metal tech, light weight, good clearance and bolts on with an AC condenser skid included. Being made of tubing, things look a bit "exposed" compared to a plate bumper. I don't believe it is being manufactured any longer. If I had to do it again, I would get a 4X4 labs even though it involves relocating the dryer and trimming some sheet metal and either capping the frame horns or tucking some teeny lights in there to finish it properly.

My original Slee is a good-looking piece, if you like to be old-school, and it still does the job.

Personally, I'm pining for a 4X4Labs in the front.

QybpQe6gKdsMKwdgzx09etPmsV88ALXYVAOmBJxoatv0KPuRy1D_ik6mpWzaOVDFda2kFR6G7-x3JVVq6A5ympyqSuk-pFV1SnWyu5m8cDKVtRzfagTak5rhMUIdLLnkdmE40juW9i9r9bBroRkOgBdFDGUr1fTSy7DS1qX2ZRUvH5-77qHBAqFG2JCne5ovF8lQGGf5krgF6l7bKI9SCUYqVbWkT_aUh5fz1oaS3x_FOHbTbkJ4sH8kuIhCx6GJLzq22MAmN5HgsHdQEZNixAOLUTk-foqZgJxjMweRbjXTlR7NdZ8mwNNTl7kPw_hlXa7s8JPuObVo06mflrUWPUfkYcRMfTXx8Q8k5rPVr4K70ZhfaWnDUadHuokhJyCEeKMtOwJJZ6SNtHEYA8ZNcqHrPcdjMM_FTnGYE4zM1YrWsNVXiDGoo1SeVG0TmLa2FanD7ghX-GB7a06mhDrdRESPIE5JQx37UF9YC6VwtAESMFBUL_5UAlT4UUMvQFpFzJX4fefiuNTwiup9aWwMQ4sjjzq9AeH3R1BPbkc3aH4SED4IHAx9mvcqJD928ZfrjcDLFiMk_EBrLW2FwKfn0YBe7AIZauA-ta4vooTT=w1133-h638-no

My first 80 got an ARB then ditched ghat for a short bus. My second 80 has a short bus waiting to have it bolted on..

When i dont think it's perfect I do think it's the leader of the pack.

One thing to consider is that all armour on an 80 needs to be a slider.

Sliders, LCAs ft control arms and bumpers.

With some of these ft bumpers with high ground clearance wings if you drop a tire in a hole and then need to winch out other than straight ahead you will get locked in on the verticle side of the front frame rail.

I'd prefer to drop down on a wing that starts at the lower frame rail so I can slide the nose up and over the rock or stump I'm sitting on

And give me old fasion D rings. If I got to use a snatch block i want to just hook onto a D ring rather than cleaning mud out of some socket for a fancy end on the end of the line.

Probably showing my age; but thereby is

My first 80 got an ARB then ditched ghat for a short bus. My second 80 has a short bus waiting to have it bolted on..

When i dont think it's perfect I do think it's the leader of the pack.

One thing to consider is that all armour on an 80 needs to be a slider.

Sliders, LCAs ft control arms and bumpers.

With some of these ft bumpers with high ground clearance wings if you drop a tire in a hole and then need to winch out other than straight ahead you will get locked in on the verticle side of the front frame rail.

I'd prefer to drop down on a wing that starts at the lower frame rail so I can slide the nose up and over the rock or stump I'm sitting on

And give me old fasion D rings. If I got to use a snatch block i want to just hook onto a D ring rather than cleaning mud out of some socket for a fancy end on the end of the line.

Probably showing my age; but thereby is
No question the Shortbus bumper is a well designed, high quality bumper.
Good points on a bumper needing to be a "slider" of sorts. An idea I agree with. It's one of my hangup with the Labs bumper, although the clearance of the Labs bumper is so good that hopefully you avoid getting hung up in the first place.

You could always roll the dice on AOE , but not sure I could comfortably suggest that route for you given their history of poor customer service but again if you had a local perhaps you could commission a bumper sans hoop from them.

I will have a prototype bumper from Orangeboxx fabrication in a few months that will be very nice. It is a tube bumper like the trail gear but places the winch in between he frame rails, a true stinger, and an integrated skid.

Another consideration is the wing hoops on a Slee bumper do provide some increased protection from objects. Certainly no ARB / bull bar but much better than some of the other options out there.

Go custom and build what you truly want. I'm going to find time this summer to build one that is basically a mix and match of everything that I like from the various bumpers into one design.

I have been trying to find the time to build my own for several months and was about to buy one off the shelve. Reviewing all the options again recently gave me the motivation to start on mine. Out of the no lead time options I would have gone with Slee. The TG is a great value but I just couldn't get past how much it stuck out. The 4x4labs looks great but I would have modified it with lower and less aggressive wings (see @landtank post). I figured instead of spending the hours building modifying the kit I might as wells start from scratch.

Edit: Bink's email bounced but I never tried to call or FB message.

I can get you a pic of the Shortbus on a Slinky equipped Moonglow if needed.

I recently bought a members design so i could cut one out myself on my buddys plasma table, but im sure the orriginal designer would cut one out for you and ship it to you for not too much. Weld it up yourself then.

Ill be selling my trail gear altough i love it! Its tabbed for lights and it would come with the lights. Its not painted or coated yet, but ill be getting it powdercoat before selling it, unless someone wants it raw. Only reason im selling is because i love this members design just a little more.

Heres a pic on some tiny rocks.

22670C70-FE4D-4B84-B7A7-88AD8856D4DB.jpeg

Another consideration is the wing hoops on a Slee bumper do provide some increased protection from objects. Certainly no ARB / bull bar but much better than some of the other options out there.

You are correct on that one, it's certainly no ARB. The ARB's I've seen crumple up when taking even fairly light (in my opinion) hits to the wings. My slee took a deer across the DS wing last year and you couldn't tell.

So much subtle ARB bashing in this thread. It's surprising. I can appreciate all of the different front bumper designs for various reasons. In my mind, the ARB has several good characteristics as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom