Any All Season-type tire recs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BAY2MTN

SILVER Star
Threads
Long time lurker, first time posting.

I recently purchased a white 2016 LC with 18k miles; still waiting for it to arrive via transport. The waiting is the hardest part...

Initially, I was determined to replace the OEM tires with BFG KO2's in 275/70 r18. I love the look and it's offroad potential, but the more I've thought about it, the less need I see for a true all terrain tire in my life right now. I drive a lot on City streets & highways. This will be my daily driver :)

During the winter, we drive from the San Francisco Bay Area to Squaw Valley (200+ miles; 50 of which can be off highway during snow storms - just not this season) for kids' ski teams each weekend.

Currently, I have a Mercedes ML Bluetec with Pirelli Scorpion Winter (performance winter tires). They handled last year's EPIC snow season without an issue, even deep (>8") snow, off highway. I also have used Blizzak DM-V2s for a soon-to-be sold Lexus RX330 (amazing combination in the snow & ice, btw).

I don't plan on doing any rock crawling or serious off-roading, with the LC any time soon. Probably some dirt/fire roads for camping/hunting (if I find the time later this year...). When next winter rolls around, I'll wait for the weather forecast, and purchase winter tires if needed for the weekly mountain trips.

After researching these forums (yes, I've used the "Search" function; understandably only a few old threads) and the internet, I can't find many recommendations for a highway-biased tire for this SUV. I know most of you on these boards are all-terrain buffs, but if anyone has experience with an all season ("Good at many things, master of none") tires, I'd appreciate the feedback.

The Kumho Crugen HT51 looks like a possibility, as does the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, or similar, in LT275/70-18. One concern is the look of an all season tire in that size; out of place?

Thanks in advance! Jeff

I've had friends that like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2 and a lot of guys here run the Michelin LTX on the more street friendly rigs.

edit: the Revo2 also comes in a Passenger rating (or LT) too so it's lighter and will likely give better mileage.

Last edited:
I've had friends that like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2 and a lot of guys here run the Michelin LTX on the more street friendly rigs.

edit: the Revo2 also comes in a Passenger rating (or LT) too so it's lighter and will likely give better mileage.

Thanks for the input. I know this won’t be the most popular subject on mud.

Who knows, in the coming weeks, I may change my mind...again. :)

Agreed with UCrazyKid. Those are the two tire models that come to mind. With perhaps the Michelin LTX having an edge to on road NVH and manners.

Note that the LTX, is "LT" in name, but you have to look at the specific sizes to determine if they are P or LT rated construction. Much like every other AT tire out there. P tires will have the edge in on road comfort. P in XL flavor may be a good compromise to the LT, if you even have a choice in the desired size.

I second the LTX. We run those on the LX 470. Fabulous tires.

I assume when you guys say "Michelin LTX" we are referring to the newer all season "Defender LTX M/S" or the older "LTX M/S2"? I can't tell which model Michelin discontinued in the same category.

When I had the same question, I started with the test results and reviews on the Tire Rack for highway all season tires. Once I had narrowed it down to the top tires there, I ran searches here on MUD using those specific tires as the search term to read about experiences with them from Land Cruiser owners. For example, the 2 you have listed are the top 2 on the Tire Rack. If you run a search on MUD using "Defender LTX" as the search term, you'll get 3 or 4 pages of posts from just the last 2 years on those tires.

From all that, I settled on the Defender LTX, which (15,000 miles so far) have been a good time for my needs.

Edit, to answer your post just now, the Defender LTX is the current model; the MS/2 is being discontinued.

When I had the same question, I started with the test results and reviews on the Tire Rack for highway all season tires. Once I had narrowed it down to the top tires there, I ran searches here on MUD using those specific tires as the search term to read about experiences with them from Land Cruiser owners. For example, the 2 you have listed are the top 2 on the Tire Rack. If you run a search on MUD using "Defender LTX" as the search term, you'll get 3 or 4 pages of posts from just the last 2 years on those tires.

From all that, I settled on the Defender LTX, which (15,000 miles so far) have a good time for my needs.

Edit, to answer your post just now, the Defender LTX is the current model; the MS/2 is being discontinued.

That's been my process as well, though I had questionable experiences with Michelins in the past, not for this application though. The Kumhos have way fewer "review miles" as the Defenders, so I take that into account when making my decision.

I really appreciate everyone's input.

I assume when you guys say "Michelin LTX" we are referring to the newer all season "Defender LTX M/S" or the older "LTX M/S2"? I can't tell which model Michelin discontinued in the same category.

We're running the M/S2. They're 2-3 years old.

This is interesting information, not currently stated on tirerack.com. Maybe I'll be the first to test it on an LC:

KUMHO CRUGEN HT51 EARNS A SNOWFLAKE
Kumho announces changes to the all-new Crugen HT51.

Beginning with June [2016] production, select Kumho Crugen HT51 light truck sizes will be

marked with the mountain snowflake symbol, which means these tires meet the severe snow

service requirements of the Tire and Rubber Association of Canada (TRAC).

The tires with the snowflake will be available in the following sizes:

– LT235/75R15

– LT215/85R16

– LT225/75R16

– LT235/85R16

– LT245/75R16

– LT265/75R16

– LT235/80R17

– LT245/70R17

– LT245/75R17

– LT265/70R17

– LT275/65R18

LT275/70R18

The Crugen HT51, an all-new highway terrain tire, is engineered with qualities and features to go the

distance in hard working, hard driving, all-season conditions. The Crugen HT51 features an

extensive line-up of sizes and applications with 35 sizes, 15- to 20-inch rim diameters in R, S, and T

speed ratings. The Crugen HT51 offers a 105,000KM warranty on P-metric tires and an 80,000KM

warranty on LT-metric tires.

Source: Kumho Crugen HT51 Earns a Snowflake | Autosphere

I've put a lot of miles on the Revo2's and they are a solid all-season tire. Certainly good in the snow for an A/S tire. I also had the Hankook Dynapro HP2 (that's my link to TR, not an ad by the way) on my 100 series for 2 full winter seasons and I thought they were a GREAT A/S tire. Take a look at those for sure. I put about 35K on the HP2s and they still had plenty of tread when I sold that vehicle.

I ended up with Kumho Crugen HT51 in LT275/70r18.

Only a few hundred miles thus far, but they are a big improvement over the OEM tires on road feel and noise; a heavier ride than stock (E-load rating). I’m running them at 40psi.

I really like the slight “lift” of the taller tire on the highway, and snow/ice grip is excellent.

Definitely worth considering if you are also shopping the Michelin Defenders. Price wise, you get five tires for the price of four Michelin’s.

F024F9C6-A21C-45E5-A5E7-D54CCF067DA9.jpeg

0DAD950C-888F-4F16-BB02-288CEF251B54.jpeg

For all season tires I have been really partial to the Yokahoma ATs. Yokohama were very comfortable tires, quite and smooth, long lasting, much much better then the OEM dunflops . The yoko's are called AT's but they are very mild tread, nothing at all aggressive about them.

I am currently running Cooper Zeon LTZ which are a little more aggressive but not to crazy.
I had Toyo ATs those were too aggressive and to noisy for me pretty happy with the balance the Coopers are giving me.

For a more street-ish ride than the LTX, at the cost of a lower load rating, I think Michelin Latitude Tour HP are great. Comfortable, quiet, light weight, good traction in the wet. A 20" size of the Latitude Tour HP was the OEM tire on the LX570 before Lexus switched to the evil Dunlops.

+1 on the Yoko AT. The ATS is one of the best desert tires I've run, but the current AT with snowflake is the performance of the ATS but also with winter in mind (3peak snowflake logo). The older ATS were ok in winter provided it was a heavy vehicle.

I have LTX M/S2 on a 16 Tahoe. In snow they were no good so we have blizzaks for winter. LTX is a great cruiser tire though. For my 15 LX, I just installed Goodyear Wrangler All-terrain Adventures with Kevlar. Really liking them so far. Nice deep tread, but p-metric, and without bold shoulder that hits gas mileage and ends up noisy. I just came from a 16 GX with Duratracs and while that would do everything summer to winter, gas mileage was terrible and they got noisy with 20k miles. I would have gone LTX for my LX if I hadn’t put them on the Tahoe and had some white knuckle snow turns. Nothing replaces a dedicated snow and LTX falls way short. I am still hunting for the all season aggressive snow and light AT tire. Maybe Nokian will be next. My LX does light miles every year so don’t want dedicated snow tires there too.

For a more street-ish ride than the LTX, at the cost of a lower load rating, I think Michelin Latitude Tour HP are great. Comfortable, quiet, light weight, good traction in the wet. A 20" size of the Latitude Tour HP was the OEM tire on the LX570 before Lexus switched to the evil Dunlops.

Agreed, nice summer tire if not a quick-wear tire. Butter smooth.

I’m a couple of days away from getting Nokian Rotiiva HT tires for the wife’s LC. Does anyone have any experience with these tires? We are looking for the smoothest, quietest tires for her 20s.

I have a 2009 LX with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires (285/50/20). They have about 15K on them. The car is used and new to me, but I find a lot of noise above 30 mph, particularly for the mild tread pattern. I'm looking to swap them for something else. Just another data point. I have the service records and they have been rotated and aligned.

They do seem to ride fine.

For this much noise I could have ATs . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom