Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I looked at the website.
And they say if your in an emissions required state please call!
Is that so they can tell you nope sorry your SOL!....lol

CA is bummer with this stuff!

Even after smoothing out the fuel and ignition curve with a true de-smog and a city racer carb, I can still feel the secondaries come on and off. It’s just an observation, but it’s there.

It works and the truck drives as I imagine it should, but it sure would be nice to have it pull completely without a dip in acceleration from 690-3800 rpm.

I think this efi is the only way to achieve that.

I find that transitioning through steep hills I can downshift and keep my speed on most all hills through Arkansas.

In the past I would always downshift and it was hard to recover or accelerate.

Not sure if it’s due to the fresh motor but my truck can accelerate at least
Some no matter what the road does.

Before I remember dropping below 45
Mph on some hills on Highway 7 throughout Arkansas

I see your operative terms like “keep speed”.

If I sneak up on the hills and bridges and give the truck hell, I can keep speed. The bridge over Baton Rouge and lake Charles are two prime examples of this. If don’t get into secondaries it will struggle as incline and load on the engine go up.

My truck as peaked in terms of tune and power. So I imagine aside from what you’ve got, this is about as good as a 2F can run.

So does all this post get to the point that you’re going to drive it west this season?

Even after smoothing out the fuel and ignition curve with a true de-smog and a city racer carb, I can still feel the secondaries come on and off. It’s just an observation, but it’s there.

It works and the truck drives as I imagine it should, but it sure would be nice to have it pull completely without a dip in acceleration from 690-3800 rpm.

I think this efi is the only way to achieve that.

I feel like I had the primo carb & dizzy setup, properly desmogged. It ran great, had tons of power, and performed way better than it came from the factory.

The TBI FI brought a level of smoothness that the carb couldn’t do.

No real change in maximum power or mpg, but the midrange is where it really shined. No waiting for the second barrel to kick in, just smooth power metered by your foot. No transitions with the rpms.

The better pedal feel, easy cold starts, and flawless altitude transition are icing on the cake.

Honestly the two best changes I made were ditching the troll hole for the city racer and getting JimC’s recurves distributor.

Bumping initial timing up to 10* made the off idle with the 3.70’s and 33” tires smoother and made it feel happier plus I stopped getting slight detonation on 87 octane. I really liked the transition from primary to secondary on the aisan carb more, but I’ve got more power from 50mph on up with the city racer.

It makes me smile to be at 60 mph, mash the pedal..wait two seconds and then feel the secondaries open and watch the truck do it’s own cute impersonation of WOT as it does a 60-80mph sprint.

It really makes me laugh how the fuel curve is on the truck. Loaded down with 1000 lbs of crap; or empty. It gets 10/14 regardless. I drive it like I stole it and nothing changes. I’ve got smooth cold starts from the choke, and really the carb fan made the biggest difference over any other mechanical or tune change over the hot starts.

Now, if I get the truck on some crazy inclines and it starts starving for fuel, that’s when I’d look at injection. Right now in 20,000 miles of daily driving this brick, it hasn’t backed down from anything I’ve asked it to do. That’s what amazes me the most and makes me feel like a bad person to ever take the 2F out of it.

Funny you say that. My 40 is perfectly tuned with DUI and a good Trollhole carb.

So good that I could never justify removing it. Cold starts are great with it too.

That motor is also new too.

Looking what I spent to get the carb isolator, new DUI, carb I SHOULD have done AFI but it never crossed my mind at the time. I spent about $850 v $1400

Again, with my use of the 40, I won’t be upgrading to AFI because I can’t justify it .... but I would love to

Man this just makes we want something else.. I really should start an in-depth mpg troubleshooting guide/thread. Currently on my second full tank since swapping @HemiAlex carb in and like he said above, I can actually anticipate and feel when the secondaries kick in with his carb. This tells me there was something seriously wrong with mine as I NEVER had the feeling except maybe when I first purchased her, definitely not after the head and carb rebuild.

My biggest issue is that I commute a max of 15 miles to and from work a day and with that I get an abysmal 8mpg. Throw some highway driving in there and it will go up some but never what other claim of getting a normal 10/14mpg. Best I ever got was this time last year when I went on a club run and we did close to 250 miles of just pure highway driving and she pulled 13.6mpg. I was thinking about spending the $2k this year on getting an EFI setup of some sort (AFI vs FiTech vs. Holley vs. 2FE) and going from there as I feel that the engine itself is still in pretty good shape. But then I wonder if I would be better off just suffering for now as I don't plan on ever getting rid of this truck and thus one day anticipate a diesel or V8 swap. And when guys like @White Stripe talk about their 40 with 35s and an AFI system getting great gas mileage, well that throws me for a loop as well.

I see the new AFI has a Bosch O2 sensor. I just added one to mine and I’m
Thinking I’ll get better mileage. It is just running cleaner. Less fuel smell in the exhaust.

I think I could bump my timing a hair a get better mileage but I hate to mess with how it’s running.

Man this just makes we want something else.. I really should start an in-depth mpg troubleshooting guide/thread. Currently on my second full tank since swapping @HemiAlex carb in and like he said above, I can actually anticipate and feel when the secondaries kick in with his carb. This tells me there was something seriously wrong with mine as I NEVER had the feeling except maybe when I first purchased her, definitely not after the head and carb rebuild.

My biggest issue is that I commute a max of 15 miles to and from work a day and with that I get an abysmal 8mpg. Throw some highway driving in there and it will go up some but never what other claim of getting a normal 10/14mpg. Best I ever got was this time last year when I went on a club run and we did close to 250 miles of just pure highway driving and she pulled 13.6mpg. I was thinking about spending the $2k this year on getting an EFI setup of some sort (AFI vs FiTech vs. Holley vs. 2FE) and going from there as I feel that the engine itself is still in pretty good shape. But then I wonder if I would be better off just suffering for now as I don't plan on ever getting rid of this truck and thus one day anticipate a diesel or V8 swap. And when guys like @White Stripe talk about their 40 with 35s and an AFI system getting great gas mileage, well that throws me for a loop as well.
Just to be clear I don't have a afi kit. Mine is a pieced together tbi system I put together from used parts and programmed myself. I was getting around 16mpg highway with mountain passes with one of my older programs. For killer fuel mileage Chet Wagner is the guy to get a hold of. But I don't think he's been on here for years. He built his own port injection system and was supposedly was getting low 20s. If he programmed a tbi it too would probably get excellent mileage. I tried to email him a while ago and got no response. I think most of the higher fuel mileage numbers come from having a timing curve that is advanced enough at cruise rpms to burn all of the fuel completely.

Last edited:
I think this AFI is awsome. Just from reading his thread. It's unfortunate we could t use it here in California.
Price is a little steep but if it would put a smile on my face and be able to keep a speed then i would be happy.

Man, I really feel that the carb was just a lucky change on yours. Something has to be off in a really simple place for your ups and downs of tuning the truck.

I just called AFI.
And I was told that they are currently not working on a CA certification as of yet!
They working with industry sector here only.
As far as for regular cars it is up in the air.
And are not sure if they will submit papers for CA!

To add to this regarding mileage. My FJ60 weighs ca. 5500 lbs loaded with all the junk in it. I have mileage robbing roof rack, larger mirrors, and lift. The 2F has 200+k miles on it with a fresh JimC carb and recurved dizzy. The exhaust is a 3FE manifold. My typical mpgs were in the 10-13 range. A few weeks ago I swapped in a 88C t-stat because the cabin was cold. Engine temps now run at 195F and mileage has gone up to 15 while interstate cruising at 65-70 mph.

To add to this regarding mileage. My FJ60 weighs ca. 5500 lbs loaded with all the junk in it. I have mileage robbing roof rack, larger mirrors, and lift. The 2F has 200+k miles on it with a fresh JimC carb and recurved dizzy. The exhaust is a 3FE manifold. My typical mpgs were in the 10-13 range. A few weeks ago I swapped in a 88C t-stat because the cabin was cold. Engine temps now run at 195F and mileage has gone up to 15 while interstate cruising at 65-70 mph.

That’s pretty good. I’m wondering what OEM thermostat I’ve got.

Last edited:
Man, I really feel that the carb was just a lucky change on yours. Something has to be off in a really simple place for your ups and downs of tuning the truck.

I'm starting to wonder if my fuel sender/gauge is trying to troll my life. Left work yesterday and it said I had a hair above the E line. Went out this morning started her up and got her warm and when I went to leave for work it said I had just barely under 1/4 tank???? And that was after it idling for 15 minutes and then another 10 min drive to work.....

Have you cleaned the sending unit ground yet at the tank? That changed my truck.

Also, I really suggest one of @Fourrunner ’s battery cable kits to make sure you’re not getting bad grounds.

Have you cleaned the sending unit ground yet at the tank? That changed my truck.

Also, I really suggest one of @Fourrunner ’s battery cable kits to make sure you’re not getting bad grounds.
Haven't cleaned the ground unit and already have @Fourrunner's kit, that was one of the first things I purchased for BeBe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom