Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

West side of the Toyoibe Range

4D564C0B-87E7-495E-9AD2-9BB14EC9E6E6.jpeg
B0A82963-E8A9-42B4-BDF7-1DA5E5D3C005.jpeg
DB65086F-3FB2-4849-AEE1-A6D4DC627D37.jpeg
D564CE4B-D262-4C23-ABDE-DE82DB97E940.jpeg
8F807811-B9C7-491D-A36E-2105660D7676.jpeg

Shoshone Range, near Ione, NV

D73989E0-F5A7-4FC8-9F7D-146EA9154454.jpeg
7ACDA1BD-07CE-4BB1-A3FC-FF51D716AC5A.jpeg
D411276D-B1D6-43FC-BC2D-FB8154550D55.jpeg
34878951-02BF-4297-8C84-C2F53D3A3F19.jpeg
BE74CC74-D47A-4CD6-84BF-F3CFA6A3F001.jpeg

BTW the snow occurred the day before the West side of Toyoibe Range... does your snow only last one day? :cool:

... and these pictures are what I quickly found on my phone...

Uncle? ;)

I love your beautiful new home state ... and still hope to get up there in a few months... but, I had all the COLD weather I wanted at Cheyenne Mountain and AFCENT (NL).

Oh... and technically, if you’re driving Hwy 21 (gravel) between Ione and Austin, NV, watch out for those divebombing ravens... they seem to like side mirrors!!

Glad I carried a little mechanics mirror and some air conditioning condensation line tape... I built a mirror.

EEB49479-651B-4ED4-888D-06E6D9193AD5.jpeg

Huh, dueling mountain ranges. Now I've seen it all.:rolleyes:
Hey, we've got some beautiful and unique mountains here in New Mexico, too:

Organ Mountains.jpg

Only ~20 miles from Mexico, so pretty far south for snow, but not that unusual. The highest peak just right of center is "The Wedge", a good friend and I climbed it via the west ridge many years ago. Some fantastic mid-5th class roped climbing with tremendous views east towards the Sacramento Mountains and west over the Mesilla Valley. It's 8,199 feet in elevation and the Rio Grande to the west is 3,883 feet, so a decent amount of vertical relief in a short distance.

Last edited:
Danny, Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Did I just actually see "44" on some "GREEN" grass?

You were given the 'bird' huh?....Keep up with the photos!

Yep... cost me a lot of rattlecans :cool:

I was definitely given the bird.

I had a thick hat on (felt, I think) or I would have had to have stitches in my bald pate. I found shards of mirror clear over on the passenger side. :flipoff2:

One of the prettiest places I ever fly fished is in New Mexico... the Rio Costilla, in Valle Vidal... just south of the Colorado border, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.

Valle Vidal

I don’t have any pictures on my phone... but, you can see the beauty of it here

valle vidal carson national forest - Yahoo Image Search Results

Rio Grande Cutthroats... but, sharpen your reflexes before you go!!

... and make sure the flow is up... it’s an irrigation river and the flows are way down when the downstream farmers are relaxing.

Rio Costilla, northern New Mexico

Last edited:
When I bought 44, four years ago this month, my constant companions were Mr Parker and Sgt Gunner... I’ve since lost both of them... and miss them terribly.

Fortunately, I have my current constant companion (Chester) and a constant companion-in-training (Teddy), to fill the void.

But, I prefer to take Parker and Gunner along on our adventures... so, I had a picture made into a window sticker.

This picture was taken at Cow Camp, in the DNWR, about a month before I bought 44.

82A77008-894D-44E7-8143-A31FAB2265F1.jpeg

Man, you guys just have to post pics of those awesome spaces - in northern Illinois we do have some woods but you can usually see out the other side they are so small. Mostly corn, soybeans or dead fields, ice and snow - that's about it here and overall very flat. The few areas of beauty are generally so packed with humans you can't enjoy them, there is almost nowhere to be alone and look out across the land without seeing Man's destruction of the land. Best thing we have to see is the occasional super thunderstorm or tornado...lol. Winter is barely pretty here at all, just a lot of dirty ice from wind erosion and the snows here are almost always an off-white, not to mention the insane use of road salts and chemicals.

Too bad someone didn't have a radar shot on that bird, the thing must have been going well over 60mph upon impact - geeze. Suicidal, or just a fluke accident ?

Sarge

I was driving about 45 mph, when he hit the mirror. There was a dead rabbit in the road... but, I didn’t see any sign of anything else... he(?) and I arrived at the same time... I saw a flash of black and flinched and swerved and he hit the mirror, instead of the windshield.

The mirror exploded in fragments of glass and plastic and I stopped and changed my drawers.

Ravens are scavengers, so he was after that rabbit carcass... I doubt he was suicidal... but, I swear, he did look a bit depressed.

All my pictures are of wide open public land... thank you all for allowing me to enjoy your land, along with my land.

But, try to spend some time enjoying your land... you’re missing much too much!!

As Woody said...

“This Land Is Your Land
Words and Music by Woody Guthrie

This land is your land This land is my land
From California to the New York island;
From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and Me.

As I was walking that ribbon of highway,
I saw above me that endless skyway:
I saw below me that golden valley:
This land was made for you and me.

I've roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts;
And all around me a voice was sounding:

When the sun came shining, and I was strolling,
And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling,
As the fog was lifting a voice was chanting:

As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.”

Woody also said...

5E225562-5D94-4B69-877A-E8A4FE37B705.png

This land WAS our land.

Now for some tech, Danny do your mirrors attach to the front of the windshield frame, or to the door?

This land WAS our land.

Now for some tech, Danny do your mirrors attach to the front of the windshield frame, or to the door?

To the door.

This land is STILL our land... we just have to be willing to do whatever is needed to keep it.

Man, you guys just have to post pics of those awesome spaces - in northern Illinois we do have some woods but you can usually see out the other side they are so small. Mostly corn, soybeans or dead fields, ice and snow - that's about it here and overall very flat. The few areas of beauty are generally so packed with humans you can't enjoy them, there is almost nowhere to be alone and look out across the land without seeing Man's destruction of the land. Best thing we have to see is the occasional super thunderstorm or tornado...lol. Winter is barely pretty here at all, just a lot of dirty ice from wind erosion and the snows here are almost always an off-white, not to mention the insane use of road salts and chemicals.

Too bad someone didn't have a radar shot on that bird, the thing must have been going well over 60mph upon impact - geeze. Suicidal, or just a fluke accident ?

Sarge
Here's one of my favorite areas:

Escalante.jpg

You can camp up above the Escalante Desert below the Straight Cliffs and look down and to the east at night and see NO LIGHTS, anywhere.

I know what you mean about northern Illinois, I was born in Harvard and spent my early years in Crystal Lake before my family moved west.

You're right @4Cruisers, Escalante Staircase is a national treasure and should have remained fully protected... It's gorgeous!!

Anyone who hasn't been there should plan a visit before much of it is eventually destroyed.

If you want to try to protect OUR Public lands, please contact your elected "representatives" and give some thought to BHA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom