Brighter Headlights for FJ60??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Who's doin a good headlight harness that can handle upgraded bulbs these days?

anything plug and play?

I asked @slcfj62 and he said no. :(

So, how does the new wiring harness save the grounds ?????????

Also WHERE are the grounds for the head light harness. I have a 1985 October manufactured FJ60. I can find the ground on the Toyota wiring diagram but the real hunt for them has been fruitless.

Thanks Jason

Page 1 of this thread describes how the high Guage wire and 3 prong relay setup won't handle the current of a higher wattage bulb, eventually your ground point heats up abs melts the plastic/rubber around it, making the problem worse. You can search this.
Ground point is behind the instrument cluster, black on white wires with an orange connecter, IIRC.

A new harness bypasses all that and uses it for a signal only, drawing power directly from the battery

Hella H4 has dramatically changed my night time driving. I used a wiring loom from Quadratech. It will not trigger the high beam indicator in the dash though. Realized that after I purchased. No big deal though, the high beams speak for themselves.

A while back I was asking about full factory reproduction wiring harnesses and there were pretty much 0 options unless you did an aftermarket install. However I know a guy in Poland that I reached out to and asked him. He wasn't comfortable making a full harness but suggested that he could do pieces of the full harness and I bet we could send him a factory headlight harness for reference and ask for some wiring upgrades and he could make them for a decent price.

HL282S SMS Upgrade Headlamp Harness for Switched Ground Vehicles

HL28200S - Upgrade Harness for Two H4 Lamps

This was a company that Has been recommended in the past. I spoke with them and they said the brights indicator should work and work with LED's. I have one on order from them. Some h4 connections need to come in so it way be another couple weeks before I get it.

I'll report back with my experience.

came across the image below....but I'm not sure how the stock sealed beams or the newer H4's work because they both have a shared ground circuit. If the toyota system relies on a switched ground and power is always on at the low and high beam power wires...then its a mystery to me how my lights actually work properly with only a single ground wire.

**Edit, think I got it*** Power comes in on the common lead and the switch simply makes the connection to ground for the high beam or low beam depending on position. So you can measure a 12v signal in reference to ground at any of the 3 connectors but the light will only light when the switch supplies the ground.

In the positive switch the ground is always present and the switch activates different relays to send power to the appropriate terminal.

So that said I now understand why the H4's work. I think the LED issues come from the fact that the flow of the current is backwards to what the LED needs. (guess)

TOYOTA-H4-PLUG-ISSUE.jpg

Last edited:
A while back I tried to buy some aux lights for our CTD/Camper from rallylights.com and they gave me the third degree about what I was going to do with them. Tried politely telling them it was none of their business. That didn't work. Tried bluntly telling them it was none of their business. That didn't work. Asked if they're going to sell me the lights or not. Reply was essentially "not until we know what you're going to do with them."

Needless to say I no longer suggest or recommend Susequehanna Motorsports aka rallylights.com and encourage all others in not sourcing anything from them.

I'll update this thread as I get going on this but I am popping these into my project 60...

Auxbeam 7" LED Headlights
61ZHhwMKLxL._SL1000_.jpg

I will be using this conversion harness to convert from the dual ground switching from the TOYOTA harness to a dual power input.

Harness
71OHbL61H3L._SL1200_.jpg

Think you are going to need a ground switch instead of the harness. Those LEDs aren’t effected by voltage drop the same way that halogens are. They just won’t work if they are positive switch and you plug them into your regular harness unless you have a negative switch between them and the LED.

Check these out:

LumaWerx? H4/9003 Switching Ground Polarity Module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FK4W1ZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_C343Bb5TNJJSN

Think you are going to need a ground switch instead of the harness. Those LEDs aren’t effected by voltage drop the same way that halogens are. They just won’t work if they are positive switch and you plug them into your regular harness unless you have a negative switch between them and the LED.

Check these out:

LumaWerx? H4/9003 Switching Ground Polarity Module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FK4W1ZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_C343Bb5TNJJSN

Correct, this is the same concept but includes what is essentially a new harness

Correct, this is the same concept but includes what is essentially a new harness

So.. I just ordered inexpensive Trucklight knockoffs off of eBay for $50 for a pair. Also purchased the ARB M002 wirining harness and it didn’t include the negative switches. I installed the harness and LED’s and they didn’t work. Ordered the ground switch modules and then “I saw the light!”

I know the more expensive LED’s have “sensing” capabilities but mine didn’t. I’m not sure if the ones your getting will either.

I think your going to find with that harness that there isn’t anything that switches the ground. At least in the description there isn’t anything that mentions that and it looks like there are relays but not switches in the photos. It looks like it’s a knockoff of the ARB M002, which might not make your lights work.

Just trying to save you time/money, that’s all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom