LX570 Tow Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Starting to wonder if this is the only way my 200 will join on our long term family camp adventures... Currently rocking a Diesel Pusher and begging for someone to pioneer the ability to flat tow the 200 without driveshaft disconnects. (IE a transfer case swap or mod with a true neutral like my 80 and the 100 have) Currently flat tow my 80 and it's been great so far but considering eliminating it from my fleet as this is the only time it's really been used the last 2 years. Good to know the 200 will tow a sizeable trailer safely and enjoyably if that's the direction we end up going. Thanks a ton for sharing everyone! Pic of our current setup just for grins :)
Bus and 80.jpg

Starting to wonder if this is the only way my 200 will join on our long term family camp adventures... Currently rocking a Diesel Pusher and begging for someone to pioneer the ability to flat tow the 200 without driveshaft disconnects. (IE a transfer case swap or mod with a true neutral like my 80 and the 100 have) Currently flat tow my 80 and it's been great so far but considering eliminating it from my fleet as this is the only time it's really been used the last 2 years. Good to know the 200 will tow a sizeable trailer safely and enjoyably if that's the direction we end up going. Thanks a ton for sharing everyone! Pic of our current setup just for grins :)View attachment 1632811

Nice Newmar! If I could flattow I'd snag one of those. Looks like the only option is unbolting drive shafts. Or getting a dolly so you only have one driveshaft to disconnect? Either way, yeah, kinda sucks.

Beautiful setup! I've rented a class A for a trip prior. That's definitely the way to go for extended road travels as the comfort level is unrivaled.

I'll be the first to admit that Airstream travel trailers are not for everyone. While they have aesthetic charm and long term durability, I consider them best as a 2-seasons camper. Aluminum is much better known for its heat conductance rather than insulating qualities. Space and storage is a premium, so box style trailers have that advantage, not to mention slides!

Nice Newmar! If I could flattow I'd snag one of those. Looks like the only option is unbolting drive shafts. Or getting a dolly so you only have one driveshaft to disconnect? Either way, yeah, kinda sucks.

Thanks! And yea... I will keep the 80 or tow the wifes JK (ugh) before messing around with driveshafts or dollys. I have towed in an enclosed and that isn't so bad for long trips with a single destination and has the added benefit of additional storage. But for the kind of trips we usually take, which are more expo :eek: LOL as expo as you can be in one of these things... With lots of stops, boondocking and small rv parks where we spend a couple days and use the truck for exploring the local area it's just too much of a hassle with the trailer.

I'll be the first to admit that Airstream travel trailers are not for everyone. While they have aesthetic charm and long term durability, I consider them best as a 2-seasons camper. Aluminum is much better known for its heat conductance rather than insulating qualities. Space and storage is a premium, so box style trailers have that advantage, not to mention slides!
But in the interests of honesty, not much looks better behind the tow vehicle than the classic lines of an Airstream.

Dometic Milenco Grand Aero3 tow mirrors
Thank you for all the useful info you post! Would you recommend this mirror?
I'm looking for a clip-on extension for towing with my 2017 LC200. I have had several cheapo units in the past with straps (key word: several, lol).
TIA

I think I found the answers:

--

Last edited:
I would never give up my slideout. It makes our 25’er very comfortable even though the famed Airstream quality isn’t there. The extra floor space adds a lot of light and a sense of spaciousness.
I agree as well. We went from an airstream to our current TT and would never go back. I will add though my wife would have never gone for a TT initially had it not been the airstream. As TeCK mentioned they are cold. the first cold Alaska summer in the soda can and we switched to the black rock with a slider.

I'm with @coleAK... I love the Airstream look but efficiency-wise nothing I could find beats our Lance 2185 with the slide out. Triple bunks, comfortably fits 5 around the dinette, convertible sofa/queen bed, and under 6000# fully loaded all in a 21' box.

Thank you for all the useful info you post! Would you recommend this mirror?
I'm looking for a clip-on extension for towing with my 2017 LC200. I have had several cheapo units in the past with straps (key word: several, lol).
TIA

I think I found the answers:

--
@TeCKis300 Thanks for this fine recommendation, can't believe how long I put up with inferior aux mirror(s)...
AND those come with their own bag/soft case which is very nice.
They are sold as a pair, which I somehow failed to notice when ordering (it does say: "TWIN PACK", lol), cost me extra shipping on return.
Amazon product ASIN B019YJCBF4
--

Hi @Zack Z . Yes, the small stock tank is definitely a problem, or at least a significant annoyance when towing larger travel trailers.

I average between 9-11 mpg depending on the travel pace and prevailing conditions (winds, grade, etc.). Giving a range between 200-220 miles before needing to get gas on the stock tank.

I've added rooftop gas storage in a fuelpax as a safety margin for travel, and my Honda eu2200i generator

I have since added an LRA 12.5 gallon aux tank and it's opened up many more opportunities to travel farther from gas stations, either in boonies, or at least stopping at more interesting rest points along the way.

Thanks for sharing....how many miles do you have on your rig and how much are towing miles?
How often do you change your tranny fluid?

I’m at 60k on my 2013LX. Pulling a Black rock 22BHS (~6800 lbs) all summer probably close to 1/3 of those miles towing it. I also off road pretty hard. I do ATF, diffs, and TC fluids every 30k miles.

I tried my hand at some towing this weekend and I really appreciated the load leveling.
20191109_120647.jpg

Weight distribution bars helped, but I appreciated when I lowered the tongue that the AHC picked it right back up again. Side note, has anyone else found that the 7-pin receptacle is so far up and to the side that a normal length harness is too short to reach? I had to get one of those adapters that 5th wheel guys get for the bed of their truck.
20191111_162716.jpg

It's a 29' with a dry weight of about 5800 lbs. and it sat just like this the whole trip. About 140 miles each way is unfortunately about all I was able to get out of a tank of fuel, but she had no trouble pulling even up hills. Plus the addition of a Tekonsha P3 brake controller with the plug and play harness made for easy stopping as well.
20191111_162013.jpg

"Side note, has anyone else found that the 7-pin receptacle is so far up and to the side that a normal length harness is too short to reach? "

MOST DEFINITELY!!! I hate where Toyota/Lexus located the electrical connection. It is horrible to reach and yes, you definitely need a longer plug cable or extension. Terrible choice, Engineer!

"Side note, has anyone else found that the 7-pin receptacle is so far up and to the side that a normal length harness is too short to reach? "

MOST DEFINITELY!!! I hate where Toyota/Lexus located the electrical connection. It is horrible to reach and yes, you definitely need a longer plug cable or extension. Terrible choice, Engineer!
I relocated mine.
D8883099-012A-480E-84F8-FF43AFF0B296.jpeg

After 450 km's of gravel road I have to support my cable because the plug has "loosened up". I was losing contact with the trailer occasionally and attaching it to the Rock Guards (or whatever the mudflats on the hitch are called) was the easiest solution. The downside is that I know that I am going to drive away one day after forgetting to unhook the cable/mudflap connection.

Just curious but in this location, do you ever scrape it when off road or is it protected by the spare? I could see myself scraping it off on some of the trails here in Idaho.
Scraping has been a concern but it has not been an issue due to the tire sitting lower and I have not had a steep departure to drag the rear end.”12.5 aux fuel tank / tire sits a tad lower.” The only issue with a bumper install is room behind the bumper near the center.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom