Dexron III or Toyota WS ATF transmission fluid. What ATF are you using? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doing a quick drain and fill on my 2000. It only drained ~2 qts. Is that average? I read above that it should have drained over 3 qts but I'm not sure if they were referring to the A343F or the later gen trans. Can anybody with the A343F verify the amount they ususally drain from the pan?
Yes

If you remove the pan you will get more fluid out. the drain bolt leaves fluid in the bottom of the pan. you maybe able to disconnect the atf cooling loop lines and get more fluid out without having to drop the pan if you were trying to avoid that aspect of it

I have a 2005 LX470. Anybody use Amsoil ATF. It lists as a replacement for Toyota WS. I am due for a ATF fluid exchange and am considering using this as replacement and doing changes every 100k mi.

Amsoil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF is recommended for transmissions and other applications that require any of the following specifications:

Ford MERCON* LV, SP; GM DEXRON* VI, DEXRON* HP; Aisin-Warner AW-1; BMW 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 2 152 426, Dsih 6p805; Honda DW-1*; Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP-IV-RR, NSW-9638, SP4-M; JASO 1A-LV; JWS 3324; Chrysler Mopar* P/N 68157995A, SP-IV; Mercedes-Benz 236.12, 236.14, 236.15, 236.41; Mitsubishi SP-IV, ATF J3, ATF-PA; Nissan Matic-S, Matic-W; Saab 93 165 147; Shell M-1375.4, M-1375.5, M-1375.6, M-L 12108; Toyota WS; Volkswagen/Audi G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162 ,G 052 540; Volvo 31256774, ZF S671 090 255
ATL.jpg

I used Valvoline MaxLife, it is Toyota WS equivalent. Been in for 15,000 miles, no issues.

Curious if anyone has ever sent a ATF sample to Blackstone labs for analysis? From what I have read "lifetime" is considered 100k. Certainly not lifetime for a Toyota product. (Basically when the warranty expires)

Assuming trans fluid breaks down with higher heat what do our transmissions run for normal operating temperatures?

I use Max Life ATF and do a drain and fill at every oil change on our 06'. I get 3.75 quarts each time and pump in the new stuff in the side of the trans. The ScanGauge is used to read the correct trans temp for checking the level.

Hello,

@LandCruiserPhil, or anybody if you know...

I'm looking to do a drain and fill on my 2004 LC 100. It has the same sealed trans that takes Toyota WS. Can someone just verify, please..

That it takes about 3.75 (or 4) QTs if I raise the front end and drain the trans from the drain plug on the pan and refill. I just want to double check how much ATF to order for this.

Thanks,
Stralen

I got just under 3 (2.5+\-) quarts out of my drain & fill. I raised the front end 22” which was my floor jack limit.

Prob could get a little more out with more height.

Thanks, that might mean I'll have to raise it pretty high for that full 3.75 QT.
The trans pan is sloped forward so more fluid pools in the front, takes a fair bit more height to get it all out.

what is the drain and refill capacity for 5 speed a750f transmission (without raising the front)? 3.75 or 4 quarts?

and does the 0.25 extra/less will cause issues?

You'll probably get less than 3 qts US out >~2qts US to come out. Whatever amount you get out, measure it than put same amount back in.

It's still advisable to check level at proper transmission fluid temperature, and set by the book. Transmission level either too high or too low may cause issues.

Reading through a few more threads and you'll have a very good idea of the processes involved.
Lazy man WS ATF filler
WS ATF Flush Procedure

Edited to add torque (Thanks Andrew) This is one page from 04LC.
A750F fill & drain torque.png

This is from my 07LC FSM.
003.JPG
001.JPG
006.JPG
009.JPG

Last edited:
what is the drain and refill capacity for 5 speed a750f transmission (without raising the front)?

Assuming the level was correctly set before you drain ( and there is no evidence of leaks), as Paul mentioned measure drained amount and replace with same amount. I think best practice is if you dont know, still measure what comes out and refill that amount but then go through the level check procedure to ensure you have it right. (Home depot sells these nice clear plastic buckets in the paint department that have accurate measurement lines up to 2gal)

As for a putting in extra fluid, a few ounces shouldn't make a difference, but .5 liter or more could. When you do the check procedure, you're going to get a trickle out of the pan. If you get a gush of oil its too much.

Check Temperature: Previously the temp range to check level was between 115-130F. I haven't put my eyes on the technical bulletin, but I recall someone mentioning the temperature at which you check the transmission was updated and adjusted downward to somewhere close to 100-115F. Can someone confirm?

Also-

The fill plug has an o ring on it. These sometimes are cut, or need replaced. Ive tried to find the P/n# for it but admittedly I got stumped. Anyone have the part number for the plug and O ring? If there is an option for replacing the standard 6 sided plug with a Hex drive this would make life easier as well.

I recall my parts guy had trouble finding it. All fill plugs O rings seals I've pulled where in good condition, and did not need replacing.

Edited to add what may be the O-ring for fill plug. 90301-15004 it is the old one I saw on the Transmission case adaptor sub-assembly Extension Housing (ATM) for 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser

Last edited:
I recall my parts guy had trouble finding it. All fill plugs O rings seals I've pulled where good, and did not need replacing.

This should work 90301-06196, but not sure if correct.
TOYOTA LAND CRUISER PRADO KDJ150L-GKAEY, 35111Y RING, O (FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CASE)
After having trouble finding the part number, I went to my parts guy at the dealer and he couldnt verify or locate the correct part either.

The parts diagram shows the opposite side of the transmission with some lines pointing to the otherside in the general area where the fill plug should reside, but its just guessing.

Ive found that if the plug is over torqued it can pinch or deform the oring, and make it hard to remove the plug. Adding that the fill plug it self is not easy to get a socket on consistently/squarely because of the location, and the short wall height of the plug (not deep enough into the socket) its prone to slip off and rounding an edge. Have to be careful. A plug deigned for a hex drive would be optimal.

After having trouble finding the part number, I went to my parts guy at the dealer and he couldnt verify or locate the correct part either.

The parts diagram shows the opposite side of the transmission with some lines pointing to the otherside in the general area where the fill plug should reside, but its just guessing.

Ive found that if the plug is over torqued it can pinch or deform the oring, and make it hard to remove the plug. Adding that the fill plug it self is not easy to get a socket on consistently/squarely because of the location, and the short wall height of the plug (not deep enough into the socket) its prone to slip off and rounding an edge. Have to be careful. A plug deigned for a hex drive would be optimal.
Seem to me the fill plug was on LH near the front, but it's been awhile since I looked. FSM pictures above shows on LH near the rear. I've a 08 4runner transmission (which may be the same) in the the garages, that has a small plug on the LH front just above pan level. It also has a large plug on the RH, rear of the gasket seam of the transfer case mount. Next time I'm under one I'll take a look.

Did you find the torque spec for the fill plug?

Last edited:
Seem to me the fill plug was on LH near the front, but it's been awhile since I looked. FSM pictures above shows on LH near the rear. I've a 08 4runner transmission (which may be the same) in the the garages, that has a small plug on the LH front just above pan level. It also has a large plug on the RH, rear of the gasket seam of the transfer case mount. Next time I'm under one I'll take a look.

Did you find the torque spec for the fill plug?

On the A750F filler is located as shown in the FSM LH rear.

Back to the fill plug and O ring. The online or dealer parts schematic relate the corresponding fill plug part number- filler hole or plug doesn't present clearly in the image so it leaves you guessing. Makes it hit or miss ordering the right part. Frustrating but its one of those part diagram anomalies you get sometimes.

Fill plug torque Spec: 39Nm/29ft lbs

edit: added the parts diagram

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 2.51.28 PM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom