Does the GX470 have a 4Runner equivalent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been doing a lot of reading and trying to soak up all I can GX related. I love the 460s but the price and low hanging fruit of bodywork is a downside when the time comes to buy. That said, I like the idea of a 470.

In the 470/4th gen. 4Runner span, was there a 4Runner in any trim with full lumbar adjust seats, heated, with a center locking diff or rear locker option at all? I just read there's room for improvement down the line on the 8.0 to 8.2 rear end/axle from an FJ, but I'm talking trucks "as-is" to start. 4Runner prices are so ridiculous I could almost get a 460 5 years newer and much more well appointed on the inside, same miles for the same price~ Craziness.

GX470 is mechanically the same as a 4th gen 4Runner V8 Ltd (V8, AWD, CDL, airbag rear suspension, brakes, etc), the only difference I can think of is the transfer case actuator (handle vs. switch). The body and interior are different however, I'm not sure what bells and whistles you get in a 4Runner Ltd. interior.

I noticed the 4R trim is about 400lbs +/- lighter as usual as well...

I noticed the 4R trim is about 400lbs +/- lighter as usual as well...

GX has a taller roofline, Lexus sound deadening, 3rd row seating (I'm not sure if this was an option on 4th gen 4Runners, don't think so though), etc.

Third row for me is useless, I'd rather have the flat space in back but I like my head NOT touching the ceiling too lol. Another tick in the GX column. I'd like to find one w/o 3rd row and not have to bother with them ever, no nav, etc. I need to go test drive each and see how each feels.

I rarely use the third row seats but I love them for the two or three times a year when I actually need them. They come out very easily.

I honestly have never seen a GX470 w/o nav ever, except in pictures. True unicorns.

3rd row seats are removable, I've only had one of them in the truck a couple of times in the 4+ years we've owned the truck. Don't waste any time looking for one that doesn't have them, just take them out of whatever you buy.

Until recently having NAV was a major drawback, but now there's some Android head units that seem to be pretty slick and include the HVAC controls, so something worth looking into.

I rarely use the third row seats but I love them for the two or three times a year when I actually need them. They come out very easily.

I honestly have never seen a GX470 w/o nav ever, except in pictures. True unicorns.

I also like the 3rd row seats and it was one of the things I looked for when searching for a GX. They are perfect for when we visit the grandparents or I take my nieces camping. I will sometimes have just the passenger side seat in the car so my daughter (and booster seat) can easily move to that seat when needed.

If I didn't have kids I would have probably looked for a V8 4runner although I may have ended up with a GX anyhow based on the higher prices of V8, AWD 4runners in California.

Also, you can bring down the weight of the GX slightly by removing the 3rd row seats and taking out the air suspension components (tank and compressor).

Third row for me is useless, I'd rather have the flat space in back but I like my head NOT touching the ceiling too lol. Another tick in the GX column. I'd like to find one w/o 3rd row and not have to bother with them ever, no nav, etc. I need to go test drive each and see how each feels.
There is no benefit to a GX without the 3rd row option. You can completely remove the 3rd row in under two minutes and list them on eBay or throw them in the garbage if you don't want to bother with them. GXs without the third row don't come with rear A/C, which dramatically helps in cooling down the cabin.

Good input thanks guys, in the end it'll be which is most comfortable, affordable, and available. Both have good aftermarket options, probably darn near same mpg, 4Runner is lighter, and after that both about the same with KDSS or not, center locking diff, rear options later when the time comes, etc. I haven't driven either yet, so that's next.

There is an oddball one at Germain Lexus in Columbus. 2009 no nav and no 3rd row.

The interior is nicer in a gx. much more headroom than a 4r. fit/finish is better, many more pretty cows inside. Lexus sound deadening is worth the weight penalty. 4r sounded tinny, and the windows seemed cramped and low. I felt i was going to whack my head on the roof getting in and out. Seats are much more comfy and adjustable. Nav was the only hesitating item, but i got over it. I added a 20 dollar blue tooth adapter, and use the aux port. I use my phone for nav.

The lexus are almost always better maintained, and you can research the vin at lexus for free. Most of the big ticket PM items are already done. My 08 had 121k on it when i bought it a couple years ago. It had the 90k service (tb/wp,tensioners, belt, tune up), as well as a radiator (small leak was visible). It also had all 4 cv boots replaced, brakes and rotors all the way around, fluids flushed (minus the trans), and about 12month old tires. All does at the stealership. Every service was done on time, by that same dealer. I paid less than any 4r i saw that was 2 or 3 years older, ragged out, cloth interior,etc.

So you'd still get increased articulation minus the airbag failure worries later then? and simpler to lift, etc.

So you'd still get increased articulation minus the airbag failure worries later then? and simpler to lift, etc.
Almost everyone who lifts a GX does so by removing the air bags and replacing them with new coil springs and shocks. No more difficult than replacing factory coils for lift coils on a 460. Several companies sell "air suspension delete" kits or you can do your own thing by sourcing OEM Toyota spring isolators and lower axle mounts.

It seems easier to start w/o then, plenty to choose from. I see that crawl control only started on 16+ Luxury trim models w/airbags I think. Give away is the eye up front right?

It seems easier to start w/o then, plenty to choose from. I see that crawl control only started on 16+ Luxury trim models w/airbags I think. Give away is the eye up front right?

Deleting airbags on a 470 is not a big deal, it's a ~$75 kit, springs, and spring isolators.

And crawl control is the fastest way to let everyone within earshot know that you have absolutely no idea what you're doing, so you don't want that anyway. ;)

I think you have the title of this thread backwards and the answer is No there is no equivalent 4Runner to the GX:p

The only thing that the 4Runner has over the GX is the looks (for most), rear tail gate (for all), and if you prefer neoprene seats to Leather.

Go ahead test drive and find out for yourself. You are blowing your mind up with all the fine details when you first need to pick one or the other and then it’s finding the best maintained used vehicle in your price range. Once you have the vehicle then you figure out what to buy to make it the way you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom