FJ Virgin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
>
Hello all. I am a first time FJ40 buyer and a beginner in the world of the rebuild and am located in South Louisiana.

Years ago I was pulling into work and something caught my eye through the fence trapped in the bushes of the building next door.
hFfsvn

I was immediately curious about what I saw and began doing research on vintage off road vehicles with dreams of one day owning one.

Fast forward 10 years and a round trip out of state move and the FJ40 is still there forgotten, slowly being taken over by the world around it. So one day 6 months ago I walked into the office with the intention of making an offer to salvage the FJ40. Once I got the golf balls out of my mouth I learned that the current owner used this FJ40 as a mud racer in the early 80's. And then one day in the 90's he pulled it into the yard and parked it. He also had very little interest in selling it, especially to some guy that just walked through the door.

So i resolved to spend one day month stopping by and chatting with him and gauging his willingness to sell. Month after month I would swing by and say hello and ask some questions, you know try to build a relationship with him. Well my time has paid off and he is getting close and I feel that the next time I stop by I wont be leaving empty handed.

Being new to this world and faced with the real possibility that I will finally have my hands on my first 1974 FJ40 I have some questions that hopefully I can get answered here before I get to deep.

How much rust is too much?
When everything needs to be broken down where do you start?
What is a fair price for a FJ40 that has been sitting out in South Louisiana for the last 20 something years?

a>

Last edited:
I wouldn’t offer him a dime until you have a better look at it. South Louisiana is a hellish climate for any vehicle, especially a rust prone FJ40. For all you know the pistons may be rusted to the cylinder walls. At a minimum you need to have a good look at the frame, particularly the rear half, and also see if the engine will even turn. Once you have this information it’ll be easier to determine value.

Remember these things aren’t worth what most seller think they are.

I wouldn’t offer him a dime until you have a better look at it. South Louisiana is a hellish climate for any vehicle, especially a rust prone FJ40. For all you know the pistons may be rusted to the cylinder walls. At a minimum you need to have a good look at the frame, particularly the rear half, and also see if the engine will even turn. Once you have this information it’ll be easier to determine value.

Remember these things aren’t worth what most seller think they are.

Thank you. This is some seriously solid advise. I will have to do my due diligence and bring a chainsaw. And come on man Louisiana is only hellish during out 11 month summer!!!

Subscribed, this is a great story either way:popcorn:

^^Agree^^

Your pictures are great!!

But, they document an FJ40 that was so "important" to its owner that he planted it and forgot about it entirely... Until you came along.

It's a shame to see it slowly sink into a pile of rust, but you can certainly do better.

After you bust your ass getting it out, all you will need is time, money, patience and more money. Don't overpay and good luck, could be a fun project.

Id say its worth more than $200 just as a parts rig, but I wouldn't spend over $800-1000 on something like that depending on engine condition and such... but its probably not worth what that old man's memories are worth to him in having it rot away there.

the danger of buying a rusted out rig as a project is you will have hundreds of hours trying to make the rust go away, and its just not a profitable proposition. I see a good parts truck. but there are enough FJ40's around to hold off when looking for something to drive

See if them owner will let you try to turn the motor over. Might be wise to pull the plugs and put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders for a few days beforehand.

Well that just depressing. I was waiting to get pictures but the rest is the story is that when talking to him yesterday I found out that he has another one (‘73/40) that is according to him “in similar condition” and he wants to sell them as a pair and all the part, tires, doors and spare top he has as a bundle (he agreed to sell everything for $1200 but after I see the other one I may be able to get him to come off that a little more. I was thinking $1000) I am hoping to get close to the ‘73 this weekend and take some pictures. Maybe (hopefully) that one is in better shape and would be worth buying them both for?
My goal here is to get my first 40 as a project truck and my fear is that My project turns into a cluster fudge.

Just asking out of curiosity would the jungle find be of any interest to anyone if parted out? It’s all original, and I would hate to see it rot away there if someone could use pieces of it. I’m not trying to make money on it but salvage whatever possible for those in “need”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom