Looking to get into a 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Current 80 owner here and am thinking about adding a 100. My question is the brake failure issue. I’ve read most of the threads on here about it and am starting to rethink picking up a 100 series cause of it. This rig would be used for family road trips with my wife and kid so safety is a big issue. Am I overthinking things or a valid concern?

You mean you own an 80 that's prone to head gasket and PHH failure?

It's the micro-cosm of Mud. You see one thread on something and think it's indicative of every truck out there. There's thousands of 100's with no brake problems.

I have never seen/heard of this issue before. If it is any comfort, I have spent 10+ years around armored Land Cruisers with OEM brakes that are driven VERY rough.

My brother has been a Lexus service adviser and now manager for several years. They have serviced hundreds of LX470s over the years, many are regular customers and many have well over 200k miles, some with over 350k miles. He has only seen ONE LX come in on a flatbed with brake failure and the customer was faced with the same dilemma as the others who have experienced the issue, that is to buy a new brake booster that costs an arm and a leg or to get a used part with hopes that it will last a while. Can it happen, yes. But I would not say it's "common". "Common" is when something is expected and almost certain to happen around a specific mileage or year and this definitely is not one of those things luckily.

Hmm yeah I have not heard the breaks being bad on the car. I have had mine for a 18 months now with almost 15k miles on it and have great feeling of my brakes. I am surprised for such a big car the brakes are soo good. If there is an issue I would say its a exception and that can happen with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom