Is this too much RUST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to get an 2008 to 2010 200 series. I found one and the dealer disclosed that there is some surface rust on the under carriage. What are your thoughts? Should I run away from it or negotiate? This on is an 08 with 110K miles on it.

20170321_094523.jpg

20170321_094608.jpg

View attachment 20170321_094633.jpg

20170321_094708.jpg

View attachment 20170321_094542.jpg

I don't think that much rust is too bad at all.

Hard to tell what's dirt and what's rust, but that doesn't look bad.

If you can get it up on a lift, bring a cheap straight screwdriver to scrape a little, and a ball peen hammer to tap. Should allow you to see / hear anything that looks fishy. I did the same on a 2006 Tacoma whose frame need to get replaced after the hammer went thru the frame in a few spots.

Your truck doesn't look like it has much more than some dirt and standard flaky surface rust, though, which is great!

The rust on that rig is no problem, from what I see in the photos. Make your decision on other factors!

doesn't look too bad, but I'd still check the KDSS valves (particularly if you may want to swap out suspension equipment). better safe than sorry. They're very prone to rusting.

To me, that undercarriage looks to be in great condition. Here in upstate NY, it would be considered VERY clean :) Seriously, check the KDSS valves but everything looks great.

Nothing I would sweat at all. Most we see here in the shop are worse... some much worse. Take an Allen wrench with you on test drives... test the KDSS valves :D

I hope people don't mind my adding to this post. I am looking at getting a 2013 LC used 60k miles from Connecticut (rust?). Here are pictures of the undercarriage. Are there any warnings here?

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

That doesn't look bad to me at all. But I would for sure be putting a wrench on those KDSS bleeders to see if they can be turned. Spray with PB Blaster or Kroil, then a 5mm hex wrench on an extension, see if they will break free.

Be sure to also pop open the cover for the cabin air filter and make sure the recirc damper works.

This is what too much rust looks like, at least for a West coaster. Guys out east are all like "that looks great!" Out here we see a spec and we pick it apart like it's a rolling total.

IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG

This is what too much rust looks like, at least for a West coaster. Guys out east are all like "that looks great!" Out here we see a spec and we pick it apart like it's a rolling total.

View attachment 1632687 View attachment 1632686

Too much rust for me as a Virginian! Buy one in Texas or a rust free state and drive it home. Makes for a better story!:)

LOL OregonLC re the "rolling total" comment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom