Builds Sold! Land Crusher - 1993 FZJ80 3x Locked - Introduction and Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congratulations! That looks like an awesome and clean rig! Factory lockers and only 140k on it too.

I'm with the other guys on tires. If you current tires are bald, I'd go 285s. You'll gain some ground clearance, won't loose too much acceleration and they will look a lot better too.

On 285 KO2’s at its second home. The gas station.

Photo gallery of my cruiser with 285/75/16 on worn out stock springs. My next upgrade will likely be a tough dog 2" lift with some sliders and I'll be set for a long time.

View attachment 1632433

View attachment 1632435
View attachment 1632437

Too late! I already ordered the OME 2.5" lift from Slee yesterday, and the 315 tires this morning. I thought the 2.5" lift would be considered a fairly mild upgrade.

I researched that particular lift/tire combo quite a bit while I was shopping for my Cruiser. These two threads in particular:

A few examples of 2.5" lift and 315/75/16 tire combo.

image_2.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

OME_2_5.jpg

TJM_Lift.jpg

Image_4.jpg

315s.jpg

Ultimately I just didn't want to have to buy everything twice. I knew I wanted an ARB bumper. I knew the truck needed new tires. And I knew I wanted a small lift. I thought it was better to just get the truck dialed in exactly the way I wanted it, rather than buy new 285 tires, and wish I had upgraded when I had the opportunity.

Congrats! I would strongly suggest skipping the OME shocks unless your rig will one day weigh 7000#. Their rebound damping is ok but compression damping gives a stiff ride even on a rig with lots of armor.

Congrats! I would strongly suggest skipping the OME shocks unless your rig will one day weigh 7000#. Their rebound damping is ok but compression damping gives a stiff ride even on a rig with lots of armor.
Hmm. My OME equipped 1997 rides much better than my stock sprung 1994.

Hmm. My OME equipped 1997 rides much better than my stock sprung 1994.
I imagine it does especially if your 94 is original. I thought my springs were too stiff then I drove someone eleses rig that had other brand shocks. Mine still rides firmly but not harshly.

This is all subjective anyway, but I can tell you that my 80 rode stiffer with OME shocks than my 3/4 Dodge which has Bilstein's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the OME shocks. I have an OME suspension on my Tacoma, and like it, but it's stiff. I wanted to try the OME kit on the Land Cruiser because it seems sorta like the "gold standard" for Toyota trucks.

I chose the Heavy front springs (2850) and Medium rear springs (2860) based on Slee's recommendation. They said that with the ARB bumper, I could go either way for the front springs, but they recommended the Heavies. What do you guys think? Should I have gotten the Medium (2851) springs for the front?

Throw a second battery and a winch up front and you'll make full use of the heavies.

That's the reply I was fishing for.

Which Warn winch will bolt up directly to the ARB without a install kit? M12000?

Last edited:
That's the reply I was fishing for.

Which Warn winch will bolt up directly to the ARB without a install kit? M8000?
I think you'll get a bunch of opinions on the 8000 not being big enough.

I think you'll get a bunch of opinions on the 8000 not being big enough.

Apologies, I meant M12000. Edited.

Is the M12000 direct bolt on?

Finally!

You’re welcome for not ending up with a maroon, green, or black one.

You ended up with the best color. Same as my 92.

I will disagree with you on the OME being the “gold standard” for Land Cruiser suspensions. Been there, done that.

I do like that you are throwing around the cheddar and jumping in head first.

Congrats!

Finally!

You’re welcome for not ending up with a maroon, green, or black one.

You ended up with the best color. Same as my 92.

I will disagree with you on the OME being the “gold standard” for Land Cruiser suspensions. Been there, done that.

I do like that you are throwing around the cheddar and jumping in head first.

Congrats!

Haha, thanks!!! I just meant that the OME lift seems to be very common for Toyota trucks. For the most part, I just wanted a small and affordable lift that would accommodate a 315 tire. I think the OME 2.5" lift will work for that purpose. I can always upgrade again later!!!

No, they're manual seats. Jason said that my Cruiser had the ultra-rare "Port Leather" option, which was OEM cloth/manual seats that had leather added at the port once it arrived in the USA.

I dont have any hard facts about this. Also i dont know about the 93. But my 94 is port installed leather. I have only ever seen 2 others like mine and all three are 1994 the same green exterior brown leather manual seats and all in the southeast. Kind of strange. I dont know if port options are regional to different parts of the country. In my case two of the trucks i have seen, mine and one other of the 1994s i removed the door panels. I could clearly see the edge of the original fabric on the backs of the door panels that had been covered by leather. The fabric is still there with leather over it. To me this proved that they were fabric interior at some point and had leather installed. All three trucks had exactly the same color, quality and so on. leather.

My front leather is 100% crapped out. The odd color is making it harder to match. I wish it was more of a "regular" OEM color. Glad yours looks so good. Very nice truck by the way.

Before you go replacing the head unit, consider going this route. I just bought a 94 FZJ80 a couple weeks back and this little Bluetooth receiver works perfectly and sounds great. Definitely replace the speakers, but the stock head unit doesn’t HAVE to go and if you’re like me and have a newer iPhone, this allows you to still charge your phone on the road while you listen (not possible with the cassette adapter). Best $18 I’ve spent so far. Just make sure to keep the sound lower on the head unit and then if you need to turn it up, do it on the bluetooth or the phone. Much clearer sound that way. It even does hands-free calls.

Nulaxy Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit W 1.44 Inch Display Supports TF/SD Card and USB Car Charger for All Smartphones Audio Players https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018E0I01I?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Before you go replacing the head unit, consider going this route. I just bought a 94 FZJ80 a couple weeks back and this little Bluetooth receiver works perfectly and sounds great. Definitely replace the speakers, but the stock head unit doesn’t HAVE to go and if you’re like me and have a newer iPhone, this allows you to still charge your phone on the road while you listen (not possible with the cassette adapter). Best $18 I’ve spent so far. Just make sure to keep the sound lower on the head unit and then if you need to turn it up, do it on the bluetooth or the phone. Much clearer sound that way. It even does hands-free calls.

Nulaxy Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit W 1.44 Inch Display Supports TF/SD Card and USB Car Charger for All Smartphones Audio Players https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018E0I01I?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
This is cool. If I get sick of the cassette adapter, I might give it a whirl. As for charging my phone while I drive, I just use one of those things that plugs into the cig lighter. I realize that I am doing all of this the cheap way, I have just seen way to many botched stereo installs to have any real desire to rip my old one out as long as I can still have a way for it to function to fit my needs.

Last edited:
Not too clog up your thread with more OME talk but I agree with a lot of the other posters in that OME isn't great considering what else is out there now. Years ago when it was the only real option it made a lot of sense, nowadays there are several other superior choices. I have OME on my truck and they are ok... If I could do it again OME would be the last on the growing list of slinky/icon/dobinson/tough dog/etc.

Nice truck you found, leagues better than some you posted up. Maybe an up front price penalty but will make it so much nicer moving forward with the build.

Dont get down on the OME hate here. 10 yrs ago everyone woulda told you to get just what you did, just lots of options avail now that werent before. And like you said you can swap shocks n coils if desired down the road.

Heavy medium will be fine. Just installed one on a friends 80 last weekend.

As for winches may call an arb dealer and ask what all fits (or maybe listed on arb site). The M series bolt right up but believe their newer models do too. The integrated selenoid on some hampers fit. Agreed 8k is on the light side and was insuffficient for one of my oops even with a snatch block but there was lots of snow involved.

Enjoy.

315 on heavy / medium combo L shocks
IMG_5152.JPG
IMG_5179.JPG

Nice truck you found, leagues better than some you posted up. Maybe an up front price penalty but will make it so much nicer moving forward with the build.

Dont get down on the OME hate here. 10 yrs ago everyone woulda told you to get just what you did, just lots of options avail now that werent before. And like you said you can swap shocks n coils if desired down the road.

Heavy medium will be fine. Just installed one on a friends 80 last weekend.

As for winches may call an arb dealer and ask what all fits (or maybe listed on arb site). The M series bolt right up but believe their newer models do too. The integrated selenoid on some hampers fit. Agreed 8k is on the light side and was insuffficient for one of my oops even with a snatch block but there was lots of snow involved.

Enjoy.

315 on heavy / medium combo L shocks
View attachment 1632985 View attachment 1632986

Thanks very much! Yeah, I kept getting wrapped-around-the-axle about the color of the truck. Eventually I decided, "Just get a really clean truck, and quit worrying about the color." I think that was the smarter decision and that the premium in price was worth it!

I really appreciate the feedback on the OME! I realize there are many more options on the market now, but I just thought OME was a solid choice, and a safe bet. I think maybe people are being a bit reactionary to the OME lift now that there are other options available.

I'll give ARB a call. Thanks again!

The pioneer speaker mod is an easy and worthwhile one. I ended up using a Pioneer deck (single DIN with pocket below) and under the seat subwoofer and the whole system was less than $500. I wouldn't say this particular subwoofer is the best if you want a lot of bass, but rather it does a good job of filling in on the lower frequency where the little speakers fall off (also it was easy to install). A modern deck is a huge plus since it works with your phone, bluetooth, pandora, spotify, etc...

Deck
Subwoofer
Harness Adapter
Rear Speakers
Front Speakers

Dig into the stereo threads a bit for more detail but overall the install was easy. If you plan to install a CDL switch do it at the same time since the dash will be apart. Also if you plan to install a sub do it at the same time to avoid tearing everything back apart again (like I did). Also note that the front speakers on the bottom of the dash are worthless and should be disconnected. The same goes for the top speakers in the very back. These share a signal from the door speakers and will sap power from your newly installed speakers and turn it into distortion. Also disconnect the factory amp since it will not be needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom