Question about Sliders and Exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I have a 1993 FZJ80 Land Cruiser with OEM running boards. I'd like to install a set of step style sliders from BOR.
20150506_182118-jpg.1112018

The BOR sliders are designed for the later style 1995 - 1997 Land Cruisers. Mike said that the side-by-side catalytic converters on the 1993-1994 models prevent the BOR step-sliders from fitting.

The 1993 - 1994 exhaust has the Y-pipe after the cats and the cats are "side-by-side".
93-94exhaust.gif

The 1995 - 1997 exhaust has the Y-pipe before the cats and the cats are "in-line".
exhaust-diagram-jpg.1140783

My question is, can I install a 1995 - 1997 OEM exhaust on my 1993? Are the exhaust manifolds themselves different? Or can I install from the Y-pipe to the muffler? Does anyone offer an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust that would solve the problem? Would it be less expensive to just fabricate a custom exhaust?

Also, are the frames identical from 1993 to 1997? Even if I get the exhaust/cats solved, will I be able to mount the sliders on a 1993 frame? Or are the frames different from 1993 to 1997?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure the exhaust manifolds are the same. However, the 95-97 OEM exhaust parts are more expensive and they route below the frame. The cats might be interchangeable, but everything else is different. You kinda have to go with either the 93-94 set up or the 95-97 setup. There really isn't much mixing and matching.

The frames are similar, but I think the exhaust hanger points are unique to either the 93-94 or the 95-97. There may be other differences that others can chime on or correct me if I am mistaken.

I have a 1993 FZJ80 Land Cruiser with OEM running boards. I'd like to install a set of step style sliders from BOR.
20150506_182118-jpg.1112018

The BOR sliders are designed for the later style 1995 - 1997 Land Cruisers. Mike said that the side-by-side catalytic converters on the 1993-1994 models prevent the BOR step-sliders from fitting.

The 1993 - 1994 exhaust has the Y-pipe after the cats and the cats are "side-by-side".
93-94exhaust.gif

The 1995 - 1997 exhaust has the Y-pipe before the cats and the cats are "in-line".
exhaust-diagram-jpg.1140783

My question is, can I install a 1995 - 1997 OEM exhaust on my 1993? Are the exhaust manifolds themselves different? Or can I install from the Y-pipe to the muffler? Does anyone offer an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust that would solve the problem? Would it be less expensive to just fabricate a custom exhaust?

Also, are the frames identical from 1993 to 1997? Even if I get the exhaust/cats solved, will I be able to mount the sliders on a 1993 frame? Or are the frames different from 1993 to 1997?

Thanks in advance!

Instead of changing exhaust have you considered finding a different slider? or finding a fab shop that can modify the BOR ones if you are set on them? p.s. Avoid Rocky Road sliders.

The oxygen sensor locations are different between the two 94-94 has a sensor in each down pipe. 95-97 has a pre cat sensor and post cat sensor. I haven't done it yet but it looks like you can either mount the o2's where your PAIR system mounts to the manifolds or you could add new sensor flanges at the top of each 95-97 down pipe branch and cap the single sensor hole down by the cat.

White knuckle offroad makes some sweet 93-94 specific sliders. Mine have held up well after multiple Rubicon trips. If your OEM cats are rattling, you can easily replace with a 95+ style cat with y pipe from Magnaflow. You will have to relocate the O2 sensors into the manifold and delete the PAIR system but that only takes an hour. Definitely a few different ways to do this.

Can BIOR build you a set of step sliders without the cat protection incorporated at all? If you could get that option at a reasonable price, you could add the cat protection yourself... or have a local guy do it. Once the sliders are built, adding that protection is fairly simple.

Mounting points for the right side are very different due to the cats. Just did a set of Luke’s 4x4 Labs on a 97. The right side front and middle mounts are pretty creative as they go above the exhaust instead of below like most sliders. Hard to imagine doing that on a 93-94 setup. Way too crowded.
IF emission testing is NOT an issue, I would suggest doing like mine. Switch over to a late model style single pipe with an aftermarket small single 3-way cat, then there is room to still exit OVER the frame for improved clearance. I already had Slee Sliders, which now provide excessive cat protection. But too much is better than not enuff. I MAY go back and trim them down some day.

Run the magna flow exhaust from the manifold for 95 97 go to single cat. Then remove pair system and put your o2 there. It works fine and does not throw check engine and gets your o2s to easily serviceable location and keeps them cleaner

Pretty sure the exhaust manifolds are the same. However, the 95-97 OEM exhaust parts are more expensive and they route below the frame. The cats might be interchangeable, but everything else is different. You kinda have to go with either the 93-94 set up or the 95-97 setup. There really isn't much mixing and matching.

The frames are similar, but I think the exhaust hanger points are unique to either the 93-94 or the 95-97. There may be other differences that others can chime on or correct me if I am mistaken.

Roger that. Trying to swap to new-style OEM exhaust sound cost-prohibitive.

Instead of changing exhaust have you considered finding a different slider? or finding a fab shop that can modify the BOR ones if you are set on them? p.s. Avoid Rocky Road sliders.

Does anyone make step sliders for a 93-94? I'd prefer to modify my exhaust rather than hack up a new set of BOR sliders.

The oxygen sensor locations are different between the two 94-94 has a sensor in each down pipe. 95-97 has a pre cat sensor and post cat sensor. I haven't done it yet but it looks like you can either mount the o2's where your PAIR system mounts to the manifolds or you could add new sensor flanges at the top of each 95-97 down pipe branch and cap the single sensor hole down by the cat.

Thank you!

White knuckle offroad makes some sweet 93-94 specific sliders. Mine have held up well after multiple Rubicon trips. If your OEM cats are rattling, you can easily replace with a 95+ style cat with y pipe from Magnaflow. You will have to relocate the O2 sensors into the manifold and delete the PAIR system but that only takes an hour. Definitely a few different ways to do this.

Thank you!

Can BIOR build you a set of step sliders without the cat protection incorporated at all? If you could get that option at a reasonable price, you could add the cat protection yourself... or have a local guy do it. Once the sliders are built, adding that protection is fairly simple.

That's an option.

Mounting points for the right side are very different due to the cats. Just did a set of Luke’s 4x4 Labs on a 97. The right side front and middle mounts are pretty creative as they go above the exhaust instead of below like most sliders. Hard to imagine doing that on a 93-94 setup. Way too crowded.

IF emission testing is NOT an issue, I would suggest doing like mine. Switch over to a late model style single pipe with an aftermarket small single 3-way cat, then there is room to still exit OVER the frame for improved clearance. I already had Slee Sliders, which now provide excessive cat protection. But too much is better than not enuff. I MAY go back and trim them down some day.

Sorry, I should have clarified - I was asking about mounting points for the sliders, not the exhaust. In other words, assuming there were no exhaust components in the way, would the sliders actually bolt to the frame?

Run the magna flow exhaust from the manifold for 95 97 go to single cat. Then remove pair system and put your o2 there. It works fine and does not throw check engine and gets your o2s to easily serviceable location and keeps them cleaner

I think this is the best option. Buy the Magnaflow Y-pipe/catalytic converter, remove side-by-side cats and relocate the O2 sensor. I'll have to get an exhaust shop to fabricate from the Magnaflow to the stock exhaust already in place (and add bung for O2). But then the BOR sliders should bolt right on.

Thanks everyone!

Our Stainless cat back runs from the Magnaflow down pipe to the rear. Runs over the frame rail like the 93-94. Depending on what your local exhaust shop wants for custom it may be an option. Stainless Exhaust

That looks like a great option!!! I could use the Modified Magnaflow downpipe and retain the PAIR system, plus switch to your full stainless steel exhaust which would work with the BIO step sliders.

PM me with a price for the full stainless steel exhaust and Modified Magnaflow. Thanks!

I dig those sliders, but something to think about if your offroad adventures will ever tend towards the, ah..."frisky" side: Step sliders do not allow attachment of a strap. This is not a big deal, until it is.

Disregard if you never see yourself getting in hairy situations.

Just as an FYI for comparison purposes, I went with OEM down pipes, y-pipe, and tailpipe with resonator, and gaskets and new hangers and then stainless aftermarket cats and the Walker aluminized steel muffler when I did my entire exhaust system on my '94. Total cost for all of that was around $1400. I then went back and installed a new OEM O2 sensor kit after I threw a code upon installing everything, which was around another $200 IIRC.

Roger that. Trying to swap to new-style OEM exhaust sound cost-prohibitive.

Does anyone make step sliders for a 93-94? I'd prefer to modify my exhaust rather than hack up a new set of BOR sliders.

Thank you!

Thank you!

That's an option.

Sorry, I should have clarified - I was asking about mounting points for the sliders, not the exhaust. In other words, assuming there were no exhaust components in the way, would the sliders actually bolt to the frame?

I think this is the best option. Buy the Magnaflow Y-pipe/catalytic converter, remove side-by-side cats and relocate the O2 sensor. I'll have to get an exhaust shop to fabricate from the Magnaflow to the stock exhaust already in place (and add bung for O2). But then the BOR sliders should bolt right on.

Thanks everyone!

As others have said

Toyota FZJ80 Rock Sliders

I dig those sliders, but something to think about if your offroad adventures will ever tend towards the, ah..."frisky" side: Step sliders do not allow attachment of a strap. This is not a big deal, until it is.

Disregard if you never see yourself getting in hairy situations.

Great point. The step sliders are a compromise. I have regular tube sliders on my Tacoma and they're awesome. But it's really difficult for my father to get into the truck. I want to make sure he's comfortable in the Land Cruiser, but I would also like some protection. Hence - Step Sliders.

Great point. The step sliders are a compromise. I have regular tube sliders on my Tacoma and they're awesome. But it's really difficult for my father to get into the truck. I want to make sure he's comfortable in the Land Cruiser, but I would also like some protection. Hence - Step Sliders.
Noted, that makes good sense.

I hope my kids take such good care of me!

I saw those. Very nice. If regular tube sliders were an option, that's what I would get.

They will modify them for you to make step sliders if thats the hangup. I went with rocky road (again...don't) and they made mine flat for steps as opposed to upbent for protection. The step has never been a problem for me.

They will modify them for you to make step sliders if thats the hangup. I went with rocky road (again...don't) and they made mine flat for steps as opposed to upbent for protection. The step has never been a problem for me.

White Knuckle will modify the tube sliders to make them into step sliders?

White Knuckle will modify the tube sliders to make them into step sliders?
Yes, you can get them with a full diamond top plate. I also read on here that some have had them made without the angle (i.e. flat step).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom