About to join the 80 Series family... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got laid off from work. Collected my severance. Have 2 months until new job starts. So lets buy a Land Cruiser...

Found a local 1994 with 283k miles and no lockers for $5,995. I'm definitely no expert, but the car is in amazing cosmetic shape inside and out. It's completely stock, no obvious leaks of any kind and started right up with no smoke when I test drove it. I know the previous owners and can verify it was a soccer mom car.

If the compression test comes out okay I'm going to get it and should be able to get it for $4,500. Does that sound about right?

I've got around $8-10k right now to spend ( including the vehicle ) on this build. This is not going to be a rock crawler by any means, but it will see some solid action. Here are the first items on my list I want to order right away:

- Complete OME lift
- BFG KO2 ( I'm a fan... )
- Rock Sliders
- ARB Rear Locker

I'm not a mechanic and not going to act like I'm one... I'm a software engineer. But I want to do as much of the work myself as possible. With the help of this forum and Google / YouTube I know I can figure about anything out.

Tell me to buy it. Or to find another one with lower miles and stock lockers.

Thanks!

I'd wait till the new job starts before purchasing a vehicle. There's plenty of 80s out there and will give you some additional time to figure out what you want/need.

Sounds like a good deal. Your budget is ok too. You will end up spending it all on upgrades and maintenance.
Try to get the hardware as second hand to save some money (bumpers and sliders).

I hope it is rust free.
See if and when the head gasket was replaced. PHH.
The locker can wait for a while.
There are so many more options for really good suspension setups besides OME. So look into it.

Don't forget cup holders. Front and rear. Hugely important.

I'd wait till the new job starts before purchasing a vehicle. There's plenty of 80s out there and will give you some additional time to figure out what you want/need.

No man. He's doing it right.
He got no job and he's getting an old car in need of lots of maintenance and upgrades. And he got the money and the most important thing TIME for it.

Sounds like a good deal. Your budget is ok too. You will end up spending it all on upgrades and maintenance.
Try to get the hardware as second hand to save some money (bumpers and sliders).

I hope it is rust free.
See if and when the head gasket was replaced. PHH.
The locker can wait for a while.
There are so many more options for really good suspension setups besides OME. So look into it.

Don't forget cup holders. Front and rear. Hugely important.

I was kinda dumbfounded with the cup holder issue lol

Waiting on the locker was something I was really considering. I'd rather dump $2-3k in maintenance and have it running "perfect" before getting to heavy into mods.

The job is already lined up. Just have to wait to start.

Buying an 80 Series is a given. Had the money before my severance came in to do this so figured time was right since I'm bored as s*** right now.

The job is already lined up. Just have to wait to start.

Buying an 80 Series is a given. Had the money before my severance came in to do this so figured time was right since I'm bored as s*** right now.
Good position to be in! Post up some pictures. From the description, it sounds like a solid starting point. Don't let stock locker hang you up. ARBs (or other aftermarket) lockers are available and reliable.

If you are not like us poor saps around here and only drink Fiji water, then you should be good with the 2 square OEM cup holders.

fiji_water.jpg

go for it. I think 4500 is reasonable if its in the condition you say it is. 283 is a good amount of miles but if it was a soccer mom car it was likely serviced at the dealer, do you have access to its records?

I bought mine for 4500 and it has some rust with only 194 on it.

Its your money do what you want, but I think you go for it. What color is it?

Also take good look at front end. If the owner doesn't specifically remember somewhat recently having all seals and bearings replaced you should consider at least putting that money aside for now. As someone else said in another thread, front end rebuilds for new owners is a right of passage.

Found a local 1994 with 283k miles and no lockers for $5,995

High miles and no lockers and pre obdii. That seems high to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom