Bolt on turbo kit (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, has the new system been fired up or are you still fabbing?

etching is for anodize. It would need to be engraved :hmm:

When I engrave the flanges I'll maybe throw a couple of these in. :hmm:

How about hastily scrawled with a dull scribe? :grinpimp:

That’s fine. I’ve been burning money lately. 80 isn’t my DD.

Its worth taking a look at Safaris Turbo system for design ideas. The Safari Turbo system in my 1997 80 series has been there since new and survived the weather in WA, CA, and most importantly the summers in Phoenix AZ where many SC suffer.

Last post was Tuesday. Gotta keep us alive.

Still working on it. I think the first estimate was higher than expected. The cores from Bell are fairly cheap, but having them do the end tanks is quite expensive.

Will the intercooler be available for the S/C ?

I think the turbo kit and intercooler kit together were about $6800 total.

The Bullet SC without intercooler is about $5500.

What did the safari turbo set up cost all in?

I have a Setrab oil cooler/fan set up in my off-road VW engine buggy.

They make intercoolers too.

I’m pretty happy with their build quality. Not USA made, but Sweden.

Their website has a bunch of info & performance calculators, but I don’t have numbers to plug in or know what I was looking at if I did.

Started the oil drain fittings and made a jig for the production run of the 1FZTurbo parts. This will ensure perfectly perpendicular tapped holes for the turbo’s oil drain fitting.

44B720D6-9ACD-4081-BB6D-035680266752.jpeg

:worms:

@scottryana when this turbo finally hits the street, what oil would you suggest for 220k motor that will see cold starts?

A lot of old timers (including my dad) swear by Castro 20w50, but I chewed up motor in subzero weather many years ago following that advice.

Given that we need about 10 quarts, I was looking at something along the lines of Rotella Synthetic 5w40, it’s diesel oil but IIRC it also meets gasoline specs and obviously designed for turbo use and about half the cost of Mobil 1.

:popcorn:

Asking out of ignorance, but why above the oil line? Also out of ignorance, why not return to valve cover? I have my thoughts/theories but figured I may as well ask.

Thanks..D

Although instructions will be made for #80series #LandCruiser #1fzturbo I figured I’d go into a little more detail about the oil drain fitting. The oil drain is gravity fed back into oil pan but MUST be above the oil line...or else it’s dumb.

Since the 1FZ motor has two oil pans, we are going to be tapping into the upper aluminum pan. Once the center hole is marked and drilled then we need to make sure that the oil drain fitting is absolutely straight on with the hole AND the mount doesn’t shift when trying to mark the mounting hole locations for drilling and tapping. I will be supplying everything needed INCLUDING the Teflon dowel used to indicate the fitting...because I <3 U!

View attachment 1632021 View attachment 1632022 View attachment 1632023 View attachment 1632024

Because it is a gravity drain there is no pump, trying to return the oil up hill to the valve cover would result in a big backup of oil in the turbo and lots of smoke.

Asking out of ignorance, but why above the oil line? Also out of ignorance, why not return to valve cover? I have my thoughts/theories but figured I may as well ask.

Thanks..D

I run 0w40 in all my cars. Turbo and NA. A lot of these old oil recommendations were before there were synthetics that could be thin in the cold and provide 40 weight like protection when hot.

5w40 would be fine

:worms:

@scottryana when this turbo finally hits the street, what oil would you suggest for 220k motor that will see cold starts?

A lot of old timers (including my dad) swear by Castro 20w50, but I chewed up motor in subzero weather many years ago following that advice.

Given that we need about 10 quarts, I was looking at something along the lines of Rotella Synthetic 5w40, it’s diesel oil but IIRC it also meets gasoline specs and obviously designed for turbo use and about half the cost of Mobil 1.

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom