Calling Electrical Gurus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SmokingRocks

hopelessly addicted to Cruisers
Threads
I've got a system in place for cornering lights, with the parking lights on when the left turn signal is turned on it triggers a delay off relay that powers the corner light. Same for the passenger side. Then I also have an override switch in the cab which allows me to turn both lights on any time. I've placed diodes to keep each side separate but I've been dealing with several odd happenings.

1) When one of the signals is on it will occasionally trigger the other sides corner light
2) Recently just having the headlights on can cause a false trigger on one or both light relays
3) When using the override switch occasionally the lights will turn off at the same time, as if the timed relay turned off.

The first two seem to me like an issue with the trigger sensitivity, was thinking about putting a resistor inline with the trigger. But the 3rd item is weird. Heres how its wired, oh and all bulbs are LED's

Capture.JPG

Your corner lights don't turn on with the turn signal from factory? Mine do...

If that's the functionality you're after you might try tracking down an HDJ81 wiring diagram. I have one somewhere, but I moved houses recently and it's in an unknown box.

Why are you pulling your 12V off the parking lights? That seems like the shared element.

thats so the corner lights only operate at night, when the headlights are on. Unless of course I override them with the switch.

LEDs are not resistive like lamps. So the trigger voltage isn't pulled to ground very well and could float.
Add a low enough ohm resistor at a high enough wattage from both trigger lines to ground.
470 ohms at 1W would do it. You might get away with 2K and 1/4W.
It might even help to just add a 0.1UF capacitor from trigger to ground if it's spikes causing it. Put the cap across the TDR.

Thanks @blkprj80 the resistors are solid thoughts, I figured I could clean up the trigger line somewhat with resistors but you are on point with adding a resistor to ground.

When radio shack was going out of business I raided their components bins so I have tons of capacitors but I haven't worked with them much. I know they are used in audio filters and to filter out frequencies but that about as far as my knowledge goes with them. Care to elaborate on how I could improve my set up with the use of a cap? (I'm a visual kind of guy)

Also IDK what TDR means
Put the cap across the TDR.

Do your relays have built in flyback diodes?

no idea, one is a chinese programable relay that I used a transistor to trigger (trigger is ground) the other is a police gun rack release timer relay.

@SmokingRocks
TDR is Time Delay Relay. Delay Off Relay. It's a solid state component. The trigger has to get above a certain voltage, it turns on and stays on as long as the trigger is there. When the trigger is off for more than xx seconds, it then turns off. If the trigger rises above a certain voltage, it turns on again.
And LED can't pull the voltage all the way to ground, as it's a diode. You need to bleed that voltage off since there isn't a light bulb any more.
A resistor is what you need. A capacitor will help, but you can't do just the capacitor alone unfortunately. The resistor will make sure the voltage goes back to zero, and the capacitor will kill any spikes, but your module should be fairly immune to fast spikes already.
So, put a 2K, 1/4W resistor in there and see if it helps.
Here's where:
Rocks_elect_1.JPG

If this doesn't work, try smaller resistors. Just make sure they don't get hot, which they shouldn't since they're on your flasher.

Are the turn signals LEDs?

Yup see the video

@SmokingRocks
TDR is Time Delay Relay. Delay Off Relay. It's a solid state component. The trigger has to get above a certain voltage, it turns on and stays on as long as the trigger is there. When the trigger is off for more than xx seconds, it then turns off. If the trigger rises above a certain voltage, it turns on again.
And LED can't pull the voltage all the way to ground, as it's a diode. You need to bleed that voltage off since there isn't a light bulb any more.
A resistor is what you need. A capacitor will help, but you can't do just the capacitor alone unfortunately. The resistor will make sure the voltage goes back to zero, and the capacitor will kill any spikes, but your module should be fairly immune to fast spikes already.
So, put a 2K, 1/4W resistor in there and see if it helps.
Here's where:
View attachment 1632850

If this doesn't work, try smaller resistors. Just make sure they don't get hot, which they shouldn't since they're on your flasher.

Thanks a ton that helped greatly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom