What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drove the family from NJ to Stowe VT in mixed weather. This was our longest road trip in it so far and It felt solid, safe and comfortable. Followed a lifted 100 for quite a while on rt 91 in the snow tues night.

Nice build.

Mind sharing info on the LED fogs you fit into the ARB signal housing. Looks really stealth.

People are not too impressed with the ARB / IPF halogen fogs so this looks like a great upgrade.

Those are the XPrite 4” fogs for 07-17 JK’s. I followed an article, maybe on here, to fit them in the brackets. I used some devcon plastic weld epoxy to hold them in and a couple machine screws for reinforcements. They are super bright with a very defined cut off line that drowns my headlights without blinding oncoming traffic.

23A9BC55-9079-4E17-9359-45733913709A.jpeg
Nice build.

Mind sharing info on the LED fogs you fit into the ARB signal housing. Looks really stealth.

People are not too impressed with the ARB / IPF halogen fogs so this looks like a great upgrade.

Removed the remains of the AHC system. Have been running an OME lift for a few years but now that I am turning the 100 into my long distance expedition truck, sliders were on the list. You can get AHC compatible sliders, but you only get 2 u bolts per side (at least with the White Knuckle sliders I bought) compared to 3 w/o. 12mm ratcheting wrench is key here. The fasteners on top of the globes are a pain to get to and removing the lines is a bit messy. I ended up cutting them into smaller sections for easier removal. Also took out the wiring harness that runs to the globes. Those plugs near the rear shock tops are also difficult to reach.

Probably removed a good 75 lbs of stuff so not much of a weight penalty for adding the sliders. Those will get installed next week.

39317308315_c24bb1a623_c.jpg

Woke up on Saturday morning to this:
5699F513-2AF0-451F-8E0B-2255A0523549.jpeg

So, perfect excuse to go ahead and upgrade the tires that were on it when I bought it back in November (was a planned upgrade for spring anyway). Pulled the trigger this morning on BFG KO2s (275/70R18s) mounted on new Method 305 NVs in black from Discount Tire Direct. Going to pull the running boards this week while waiting...

Also installed new speakers this weekend in between rain showers. The front speakers both looked like this:
826468CE-C9A7-4372-A5C6-CE5F4880100D.jpeg

Upgraded the front speakers to Alpine SPS-610C:
736E1081-1EA3-41E5-A78D-FB734E926787.jpeg

And the rears to Alpine SPS-610:
1FC72A8C-B72C-42CB-ACA3-A673BA4C8912.jpeg

Though these are 4ohm speakers, the sounds is loud and clear. Using the factory amp and a Pioneer AVH-3300NEX head unit.

I installed the Pyle sub last week, and it leaves a lot to be desired (though it sounds better than the blown factory speaker that was in there). Pretty distorted bass when the volume is up and there’s not really a way to effectively dial it down without disconnecting it outright; not much you can do in a 6” space. May try another option or just unplug it for now.

Received and installed the IronMan Foam Cell Pros up front.

Thought the truck sounded a bit sluggish when starting in the cold, but kinda figured it was just the cold temps. Though it always started, I finally decide to drop by AutoZone to have the battery checked and it was bad. Luckily, I was in month 35 of a 36 month full replacement warranty, so I got another Duralast Gold for free.

Thought the truck sounded a bit sluggish when starting in the cold, but kinda figured it was just the cold temps. Though it always started, I finally decide to drop by AutoZone to have the battery checked and it was bad. Luckily, I was in month 35 of a 36 month full replacement warranty, so I got another Duralast Gold for free.
Ran into the same issue with my 27F Duralast Gold last month. The battery was 25 months old and CCA measured in the low 400s (about half rated CCA) and battery tester said replace battery. I removed, took to Autozone and walked out with a new battery 5 min later.

I put the new battery on my charger just to see if it needed topping off, and it required charging for about 4-5 hrs @ 3.5a charge rate. Just to remark that the batteries sitting there at autozone may not have been charged since they left the factory. And the sticker said made in Spain- so long boat ride, customs, to distribution means no charge activity for prob a couple of months.

Last edited:
whats

what are the best coil packs to go with?

Denso coils are considered OEM replacement and what everyone here will recommend. I’ve got a couple of Duralast coils from AutoZone in mine as well. Was short on time and availability at the time. They’ve been in a couple of years and are still working. They also have a lifetime warranty.

whats

what are the best coil packs to go with?
OEM coil packs are pn#90919-02230 and go for $81.83 HERE on Toyota Parts Deal. Sometimes you can find them in the $20-40 range on eBay and people usually try to look for alternatives to OEM since they're so expensive. Just remember, you get what you pay for and a coil pack is not the ideal place to skimp on quality.

I left Corte Madera California headed back to Alameda about 7:50 and noticed my hundo running a little rough. Sure enough like 2 seconds later got a check engine light. Ran my torque app. Code came up misfire cylinder 5 code (P0305). Found an ignition coil in El Cerrino(?) at about 8:40. Was gonna be either that or a spark plug. 9:08 done. $93 (including tax) for an O’reilly knock off but worth it. I am gonna order a full set of Denso plugs and coils ($40each) next week and replace them all. Then keep the O’reilly special for a back up. I am so glad I keep a pretty good tool kit in the truck for situations like these. Even though all I really needed for this job was a 10mm socket.
B2A3E306-0326-400F-8594-36FDA8F51833.jpeg
F1B388BA-8777-4B37-A5D9-1816EB1873DC.jpeg
3BC8DD45-8A3D-473F-B631-D55B2F254DE2.jpeg

OEM coil packs are pn#90919-02230 and go for $81.83 HERE on Toyota Parts Deal. Sometimes you can find them in the $20-40 range on eBay and people usually try to look for alternatives to OEM since they're so expensive. Just remember, you get what you pay for and a coil pack is not the ideal place to skimp on quality.

eBay "Toyota" coils in the $20-$40 range are Chinese counterfeits, they'll run for a while but fail relatively quickly. There are a couple of 'Mud threads with details on how to spot fakes: Need help identifying genuine Denso 90919-02230 coil packs from fakes

I got my DENSO 673-1303 coils from Wal-Mart for $55/ea although they're more now: https://www.walmart.com/ip/DENSO-673-1303-Direct-Ignition-Coil/42400830

Finally tackled replacing the foam on the driver's door speaker and the sub. $33 from Simply Speakers is a small price to pay to keep these things running for a few more years. FYI, in case anyone is wondering, the same 6" foam works for both the driver's door and subwoofer in the 3rd row.

Kit found here: Speaker Foam Edge Repair Replacement Kit, Toyota, Lexus, JBL, Levinson 6" Speakers, FSK-6bt

It's a :banana: job so if you are putting it off, just do it!

20180212_133139_zpsglkydjwx.jpg

Was going to wait and do the pics all at once, but can’t help myself. Took the running boards off today in anticipation of the incoming Method 305s and 275/70 KO2s...

Before:
AF2AF661-97D1-4CD0-9663-4C07FB9BAE0C.jpeg

After:
1E148ED7-B874-4165-BFEC-B76C593D8190.jpeg

Amazing what a difference it makes taking those off. Wheels/tires scheduled for delivery on Thursday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom