What's the best State>City to sell my 80 in? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's that time I'm afraid. I bought the pig when I was 20 with 75k on the clock. 10 years and 90k miles later, my vehicle uses and needs have changed.

I live in Montana and want to go out in style so I'm planning a 2 week road trip that will end with me getting on a flight home. I'd like to drive to the state with the best used cruiser market and camp/fish till I sell her.

My guess was Colorado? It's got all the do-dads you'd expect after 10 years.

Go West young man. UAE.

Sounds like an opportunity to get creative, maybe list it in several markets and see where the most interest is. You should figure out a way to list it so your intentions are spelled out.

Pick any of the rust belt States. Scarcity of decent Cruisers there should warrant a higher price.

For a quick sell....I'd have to say Colorado. Lots folks looking for 4wd vehicles there

We have higher than average retail here, and the fishing ain't shabby either.

Trade-off would be if you have UV damage / cracked dashboard - that's a foreign issue to locals. Not something locals ever expect to see.
I've even seen OE clearcoat that's still holding up here.

Maybe a more realistic way to work this is to advertise it here & state in your ad you're glad to deliver to any destination.

Factory locked '95 with 165k mi? If no rust and somewhat maintained, I might be interested. PM me. Reno area market is not bad. Cruisers don't last long on CL and seem to sell for above average.

Trade-off would be if you have UV damage / cracked dashboard - that's a foreign issue to locals. Not something locals ever expect to see.

Maybe a more realistic way to work this is to advertise it here & state in your ad you're glad to deliver to any destination.

Yeah my clear coat looks brand new !
I feel like Wa could get you more money than Oregon, there appears to be a slight bit more available in Oregon. California is hit or miss IMO.

I guess ill always lobby for more 80 series in Wa. haha

I hate saying this, but .. Ebay.

My dash and hood clearcoat are immaculate. The hood? Less immaculate.

Factory locked '95 with 165k mi? If no rust and somewhat maintained, I might be interested. PM me. Reno area market is not bad. Cruisers don't last long on CL and seem to sell for above average.

Yeah triple locked. 164k on the clock. Front, rear, tire swing, heavies, 4.88s, front knuckle rebuild at 145k-sh by mudrak in sonoma, blah blah blah

Go West young man. UAE.

...Dubai??? Where's UAE?

Sounds like an opportunity to get creative, maybe list it in several markets and see where the most interest is. You should figure out a way to list it so your intentions are spelled out.

I think this is a good plan. Drop it on a few of the higher density craigslists perhaps?

Pick any of the rust belt States. Scarcity of decent Cruisers there should warrant a higher price.

For a quick sell....I'd have to say Colorado. Lots folks looking for 4wd vehicles there

The rust belt? Really. Think they pay top dollar? Maybe it's the westerner in me. I am open to ideas

Ebay? Really. I would have thought ebay would *not* do well. Why do you think? Not doubting, just ignorant.

I'm in agreement with @bahaphile -

I'd at least list on Ebay & set the reserve where you want to be $$wise, CL is such a crazy mix of people. Cash is king, but some people are cracked-out lowballers.

Maybe link your auction in a ton of major CL markets, let the current bid weed out the real nutter lowballers.

I'm bearish as a seller on CL, too many people eat up your time & flake out.
Good deals as a buyer, just the selling is more a hassle.

sounds to me like you are about to do something you will regret. 80's in good condition are increasingly in value rapidly. I have a neighbor that just spent $14K on one with no rust, lockers, and less than 200K miles. Crazy....

CL is hit and miss, I know many folks that do not like it or use it.

If you go somewhere, you may not sell it fast, get tired of camping and end up giving it away.

I think a better idea is list it on ebay and offer to deliver for a nominal charge compared to camping until it's sold. You can negotiate a non-refundable deposit, perhaps half and then the balance on delivery. Or something along those lines. Cargurus is another good site.

sounds to me like you are about to do something you will regret. 80's in good condition are increasingly in value rapidly. I have a neighbor that just spent $14K on one with no rust, lockers, and less than 200K miles. Crazy....

I will regret it because of the investment value you're saying? My 80 has been amazing, don't get me wrong. Never an issue and I've lived out it.

CL is hit and miss, I know many folks that do not like it or use it.

If you go somewhere, you may not sell it fast, get tired of camping and end up giving it away.

I think a better idea is list it on ebay and offer to deliver for a nominal charge compared to camping until it's sold. You can negotiate a non-refundable deposit, perhaps half and then the balance on delivery. Or something along those lines. Cargurus is another good site.

This is smart and good advice. So you're saying set a reserve and down payment requirement?

Bring a Trailer seems to do well too.

Love the site. Hadn't thought of selling there. Thanks.

This is the only way I'd sell a vehicle now. CL just draws ignorant tire-kickers who want to offer absurdly low amounts. eBay takes a cut, but it gets the job done with reasonable certainty. Just don't leave money sitting in your account.

That's a nice 80 so the old fashioned way of parking it next to a busy road with a "For Sale" sign would probably work too.

This is smart and good advice. So you're saying set a reserve and down payment requirement?

I would set a Reserve/BIN price but offer free delivery. As an example, let's take a sales price of 10K for easy math. Have 3-5K sent to you as non-refundable payment with the balance due at delivery. This offers some security for the buyer as they would have only invested 30-50% instead of 100%. If they want to back out or did not like what they saw upon delivery, you are 3-5K ahead for your troubles and they "saved" 5-7K.

There are a probably a few more ways to make this work for both parties.

This is the only way I'd sell a vehicle now. CL just draws ignorant tire-kickers who want to offer absurdly low amounts.

Well said.

This is the only way I'd sell a vehicle now. CL just draws ignorant tire-kickers who want to offer absurdly low amounts. eBay takes a cut, but it gets the job done with reasonable certainty. Just don't leave money sitting in your account.

Bingo. 100%.

Bring a Trailer seems to do well too.

It's worth a look too - IDK their fee structure but seems well photo'ed & quality rides go above median value. I will be using them I expect since old BMW's like mine do well there.
I see alot of 40's & 60's there real recently, you might search their closed auctions & see if 80's do well enough to pay for their auction fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom