Power Steering Box Difference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scrapdaddy

Standing on the corner
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Guys, question on the 60 boxes. I have a 60 box of unknown year, thinking of going to an 80 box. How do I check for compatibility with the 80 box mounting holes before buying an 80 box. I've boxed and sleeved my 55 frame already for the 60 box and don't want to redo it. I know the mounting holes are different between years, but not sure of measurements.

Any help for a 55 guy. :)
Ron

IIRCC the late 60 box is the same as the early 80 series box 91-92, 93+ is different.

there's a pic I posted in this thread about the early and late bolt pattern
1986 FJ60 Steering Box Which One Is It??

if the late 60 box and the early 80 box are the same, why the change?

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I do have the later 60 type. It's my understanding the 80 box has a beefer output shaft and is easier to find now a days. My 60 box was rebuilt by Texas Off Road, but something isn't right with it (I think), so instead of getting another 60 box, thought I'd upgrade.

Thanks again,
Ron

The 93+ 80 series steering boxes have a larger power piston and thus more assist. But the sector shaft is the same diameter. I personally think that's why 80s more commonly have sector shaft failures. There is an available upgrade for the later 80 series box, so you can rebuild it with the upgraded sector shaft and Pittman Arm. You would need a specialty parts guy like @beno to get all the correct bits from a 105 series.

Cruiserdrew,

Would the later 80 box have the same mounting holes as the later 60 box?

NeverGiveUpYota,

For right now, I'm just thinking out load.

It’s all good. Curious what’s happening w/ it that makes you feel something is wrong? And I would imagine they warranty their work. Good guys. When I rebuilt mine I called them because something in the process stumped me. They actually had a tech call me back and was very helpful.

Something is grabbing when turning, but I'm not sure if it's the box or steering column bearings. I've got another column to rebuild and try that first. The box is five years old now, but not many miles on it.

Can’t you stock a 105 series sector shaft into it?

When my 60 series PS box developed a leak i swapped an 80 series PS box into it and i'd recommend everyone do the same. It's cheaper, it's easier to find parts for, and it handles way better. Makes my Toyota feel like a Cadillac!

When my 60 series PS box developed a leak i swapped an 80 series PS box into it and i'd recommend everyone do the same. It's cheaper, it's easier to find parts for, and it handles way better. Makes my Toyota feel like a Cadillac!

Was it a 90-92 box? Or a 93+?

Cruiserdrew,

Would the later 80 box have the same mounting holes as the later 60 box?

Yes it does. If you want more assist, use the 80 series steering gear. If you want even more assist, use the Saginaw pump with the 80 series gear.

If you want even more assist, use the Saginaw pump with the 80 series gear.

I already have a PSC pump and reservoir, so good there. Anybody swapped out to the larger sector shaft/pitman arm. I'd have to deal with a bigger tie rod end too, right.

I already have a PSC pump and reservoir, so good there. Anybody swapped out to the larger sector shaft/pitman arm. I'd have to deal with a bigger tie rod end too, right.

I think it's the same, though the 80 Pittman has enough meat to ream for Chevy 1 ton ends. My FJ60 is set up like that.

Great info guys!

What's the cutoff for early/late 60 boxes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom