Trail Tailor Foam Cell Shocks Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
I just got these installed today and wanted to post a review and some feedback.

To put it bluntly I am overjoyed at how these shocks have changed the feel and performance of my truck.

History: I had J springs and OME shocks. I always felt like the ride was just overly stiff and it bugged me. I contacted Jason @ trail tailor @reevesci and told him I wanted to try his tourflex springs. I installed these but the ride was still stiff. After talking with Jason he told me that I really should go with the foam cell shocks they had. The cheap side of me was thinking "this guy is just trying to sell me something" but I listened and he talked about how the OME shocks are known for being "overcharged" and actually acting like a spring (sorry if I got this wrong J) vs. a dampener. I took the bait and purchased them. BTW, I am a cheap SOB so switching out a new suspension with less than 5k on it was a difficult pill to swallow.

I got the shocks on today and the truck is a totally different animal. I drove it down the block and instantly noticed that there is less body roll and it soaks up the bumps much smoother. I took it on a dirt patch down the way and flexed it up and noticed that it flexes much better than before , almost like the shocks are not "fighting" the springs anymore. I am not getting thrown back and forth in the seat sideways when I hit bumps, etc. It is hard to put into words but again it feels like the suspension now is doing it's job and soaking up the bumps vs. pushing against them. I am no suspension genius to maybe others can explain mechanically why this is. I know these oil cell foam shocks are very different than a gas charged shock.

I have not driven it on the freeway but expect the ride to be more smooth and comfortable and the springiness of the OME shocks to be now gone.

I hope this helps others in choosing a new suspension.

Full Disclosure: this is an honest review and I received no discounts for products, etc. I paid full price for my stuff from Jason. However Jason can you please stop telling me about cool s*** to do to my truck, my bank account is hurting, lol :)

pic: me driving my car like whaaaaaattt???

MADtv-825-CWS_a2c9d6f0_CWtv_720x400.jpg

Last edited:
N,

So glad you like the new ride. I got to play w/ @NorCal97 rig yesterday and flexed it out today with the forklift (28" Rear 26 Front articulation) My favorite part was when he said " hit that curb hard" 8-10" curb felt like a crack in the road to me. I have my 2" version going on my 92 next week.

The foam cell shocks are night and day different than a gas charged shock and I think you will find the longer you run them on corrugated roads and the freeway (new term to me being in CA now) the more you will like them in comparison.

Thanks for the support and the conversations. Please reply back with an update once the springs settle in around 200o miles.

J

IMG_20180210_081119028.jpg
IMG_20180210_081507428_HDR.jpg

That's awesome. I'm also a cheap SOB so I can relate to not easily dropping cash. When we do so and we're pleased it's really nice.
Good job.

Sounds like you feel the same as I did when I finally moved away from all OME suspension. Congrats!

Awesome
Do you mind giving the part numbers & description of the kit you got? How much weight you run on rig etc.
I will link this thread to the Compiled coil shock thread.

Awesome
Do you mind giving the part numbers & description of the kit you got? How much weight you run on rig etc.
I will link this thread to the Compiled coil shock thread.

@1973Guppie has the 3" kit w/ 41mm extended standard foam cells.

Front coils-- TourFlex TDC948-3HF
Rear coils-- TourFlex TDC949-3HF
41mm extended front and rear shocks (only ones made by TD)

I think he has about 7-800# of gear w/ front bumper and winch.

EDIT-- TourFlex Front (only one offering) TDC948-3HF

J

Last edited:
Cool beans, after (or same time) when I get around to installing my new bushings, I think I'm due for shocks. The rears are Foxes that are only a year or two old, but the fronts are ancient OME's with probably 100k on them, if not more.

Jason, when did you move to CA? I thought you were up in WY somewhere?

N,

So glad you like the new ride. I got to play w/ @NorCal97 rig yesterday and flexed it out today with the forklift (28" Rear 26 Front articulation) My favorite part was when he said " hit that curb hard" 8-10" curb felt like a crack in the road to me. I have my 2" version going on my 92 next week.

The foam cell shocks are night and day different than a gas charged shock and I think you will find the longer you run them on corrugated roads and the freeway (new term to me being in CA now) the more you will like them in comparison.

Thanks for the support and the conversations. Please reply back with an update once the springs settle in around 200o miles.

J

View attachment 1630597 View attachment 1630598
What springs and shocks is the green 80 sporting depicted?
Rear sway bar disconnected?
How long is the rear shock when extended/compressed?
I want that kind of droop :)
Any pictures of the stuffed side? Sorry for all the question but am interested in this set up.

A

Hey @allan man, I'll let J speak to the shock & spring specifics...I'd screw it up if I try.

Both front and rear factory sway bars are attached, and are limiting flex a bit. Figured we'd run this flex trial with the sways connected to offer a better baseline from which others could compare (note that my rig does have a 1" body lift). I'd like to swing by his shop again some time and try without the sways...

Below are some additional pics.

Incidentally, I'm thoroughly enjoying the new ride.

20180210_081050.jpg

20180210_081107.jpg

20180210_081141.jpg

20180210_081704.jpg

20180210_081757.jpg

Cool beans, after (or same time) when I get around to installing my new bushings, I think I'm due for shocks. The rears are Foxes that are only a year or two old, but the fronts are ancient OME's with probably 100k on them, if not more.

Jason, when did you move to CA? I thought you were up in WY somewhere?

Last October we moved from WY to Redding.

oh no, where is the unread button. THIS just auto-populated on my list of things to do. not again...damn you IH8MUD

Are these similar to the ironman foam cell shocks?

Are these similar to the ironman foam cell shocks?

Tough Dog has 3 foam cell models for the 80:

41mm Bore
  • 41mm internal bore
  • Twin tube design
  • High temperature, all weather oil
  • 18mm, double chrome-plated rod
  • Additional welding on all studs & eyerings
  • Multi stage Velocity Sensitive Valving
  • Rod wiper seal and multi lip seal
  • Hydraulic rebound stop
  • 2 Year/40,000km warranty in 0-50mm applications. (conditions apply)
  • 1 Year/20,000km warranty in 50mm or higher applications. (conditions apply)
45mm 9 stage adjustable
  • 45mm internal bore
  • 70mm external casing
  • 22mm chrome plated rod
  • Foam cell technology
  • 9 Stage external adjustment
  • Additional welding on all studs and eyerings
  • 2 Year/40,000km warranty in 0-50mm applications. (conditions apply)
  • 1 Year/20,000km warranty in 50mm or higher applications. (conditions apply)
53mm Bore
  • Huge 53mm bore
  • Twin tube design
  • 22mm double chrome-plated rod
  • Additional welding on all studs & eye rings
  • Multi stage Velocity Sensitive Valving
  • Rod wiper seal and multi lip seal
  • Hydraulic rebound stop
  • 3 Year/60,000km warranty (conditions apply)
  • Year/40,000km warranty in 100 Series IFS (conditions apply)

One of the nice touches that I appreciate about the TD rear shocks is the extra layer of steel protecting the vulnerable lower body of the shock! This needs to be noted here and on your site J. I'll grab a photo this afternoon to throw in here.

I have OME sport shocks and they feel good to me but I don't know what I'm missing! I'll have to pay closer attention to the drive the next time I drive the 80. Mine weighs in at around 6800lbs empty I'd venture to guess.

Just read this article on foam cell technology (Ironman4x4 not Toughdog but similar concept), a worthwhile read: We Test The New Ironman 4X4 Foam Cell Pro Shock Absorber - Unsealed 4X4

First paragraph:

"Engines get the glory, but suspension makes or breaks a car.

What’s the first specs you look at on a vehicle? Probably the power and torque. I’ll leave it to another article to explain just how wrong that is, but for the moment let’s get back to the old saying, “power is nothing without control”.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom