Warn 9.5 Contactor/motor on 8274 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning everybody,

I rebuilt an old 8274 this weekend, and as the motor was dead and the solenoids always seemed to eb the weak point, I decided to do the mod to use a 9.5 motor and the contactor that goes with it. Install was very straightforward and everything is put back together, but I have a wiring question.

The wiring from the contactor to the winch is easy. Three color coded wires to three color coded terminals. But . . . . . The new contactor doesn't have a heavy negative lead, only a positive one. I am assuming the 9.5 must ground through the chassis, but I am a little wary of this solution on the 8274 in a brand new bumper that still has all the powder coating. Is there a clean way to add a ground or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks Mud!

I believe the 9.5 motor has a ground stud or bolt location. Run a ground cable, equivalent to the positive cable, to the motor ground stud.

I added a ground stud to an old 8274 motor years ago for the same purpose.

Last edited:
I believe the 9.5 motor has a ground stud or bolt location? Run a ground cable, equivalent to the positive cable, to the motor ground stud.

Yes, it does. That's exactly what I did for the 9.5XP motor I put on my 8274. ran the heavy ground cable all the way back to the negative terminal on the battery - the 8274 draws a lot of current on start-up.

Thanks guys. I only saw the three color coded studs on the motor. What should I be looking for? Is it one of the countersunk pieces?

1911 - Thanks for the reply. I read you had this setup and was hoping you would chime in. I think I PM'ed you over on Expo as well.

Thanks guys. I only saw the three color coded studs on the motor. What should I be looking for? Is it one of the countersunk pieces?

Yes, there are threads in the bottom of the case that take a good-size bolt (14mm or 1/2"?). I guess it depends on how you clock the motor on the upper housing of the 8274; in any event, the threaded hole for the ground is on the opposite side of the motor from the main power leads for "in" and "out". I took some photos of mine for you, but it's hard to see with the winch installed:

1911 - Thanks for the reply. I read you had this setup and was hoping you would chime in. I think I PM'ed you over on Expo as well.

You're welcome. I hope you didn't PM me recently on ExPo, I haven't logged in there in years.

Good luck with your installation.

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks again.

Thanks for the help guys. Winch is installed and working. Need to tidy up some wires, but everything is functioning great.

2018-02-10 - New bumper.jpg

So where did you source your replacement motor and contactor? I am looking at my selinoids 1 or more is bad. wondering if it bolts on no issues or retrofitting and do you need a new controller?

So where did you source your replacement motor and contactor? I am looking at my selinoids 1 or more is bad. wondering if it bolts on no issues or retrofitting and do you need a new controller?

I got mine on Amazon. I let all the magic smoke out of the motor years ago, and I knew I needed a motor, and in my experience the solenoids have always been the weak link on winches, so I wanted to upgrade to a contactor. There are folks out there who are very happy with a Superwinch contactor (available from Summit or Jegs), but I took the easy (and more expensive) route and kept it all Warn. It also meant that the Contactor was the one intended for that motor, so everything was color-coded and install was a breeze. You do also need to get a splined (versus keyed) gear for the motor shaft, but that's easy as well.

Another good source for Warn parts is Clemson off-road.

That place is close to my neighborhood. If I contacted them would they know what I want to do the conversion like above.

I imagine so, but I already knew what I wanted and just ordered the parts on-line, never talked to anyone on the phone there.

Do you remember what the total bill was for all the parts???

No, it was 9 or 10 years ago, sorry. The motor itself was the most expensive part, around $300 if I remember correctly.

Good morning I checked out a warn dealer in northern Cali and will give them a call to move forward so I can adapt that set up to mine, TNX for the help.

^^^^^ Is that the ARB 'commercial' bumper?

I don't think so. I didn't know ther was a "commercial" version. It has a different recovery point set up than the previous one I had (on a Jeep). The holes in t the tow points are horizontal and higher up on the bumper. I still plan on reinforcing them some, but they look a lot stouter than what was on my other ARB.

I got most of the parts on Amazon. The splined gear is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U7K2NW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't remember the total cost, but by the time I had the new motor, contactor, and all of the rebuild parts, I was probably up around $900. I am sure it could be done cheaper with a different contactor and some ingenuity and know-how, but these days I am only getting 1-2 days off a month, and I needed everything to fit the first time or it would drag on forever.

Thanks for the help guys. Winch is installed and working. Need to tidy up some wires, but everything is functioning great.

View attachment 1630332

Old thread, but is this the control pack you used?

Amazon product ASIN B004YTOHQQ
How do you like this setup? Could you post up any more photos of it mounted to the motor, how you routed the cables, inside the housing etc?

I believe this control pack has the albright style contactor from Warn (34971). It's cheaper than buying the contactor alone and it comes with some cables, but I didn't think it could be mounted to an 8274.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom